GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Patents Multiuse Pickup Tailgate to Counter GM, Ram

Ford appears to be working on an answer to one of its rivals' key pickup selling points.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Font Auto part Engineering

January 18, 2022 01:57 PM
MICHAEL MARTINEZ

Ford Motor Co. appears to be working on an answer to one of its rival's key selling points in the ongoing truck wars.

The automaker recently filed patents for a multifunction tailgate with a door, easy-access steps and other features.

GMC popularized such features with its MultiPro tailgate, which has been expanded to the Chevrolet brand as Multi-Flex. Ram also offers a similar tailgate.

The most recent tailgate patent, reported last week by CarBuzz, was filed last July and published this month.

Ford has patented other tailgate features, including partial openings to better load cargo.

It's unclear if Ford will produce a multifunction tailgate or when it would be offered.

(continued at link)

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Genius! Works WITH hitch in the receiver!

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better late then never.
The 2nd Generation "Man Step" is great, it didn't allow standing close to the bed like GM's "drop door" or Ram's swing door.
"Can't wait for the OMG, that is so complicated and expensive!" Crowd...... 😉

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
This is a pretty weak attempt at catching up to GM and Ram. Is this the best they could come up with? A door like Ram's but smaller and centered? And then a flip down step that's 2 inches lower than the regular step? Why didn't they just make the bumper drop 2 inches lower and do away with the gadget? I guess this is marginally better than what they have now?

GM's tailgate really is a great feature and the best option on the market. I find myself using it all the time to get a deeper reach into the bed or to help step in/out of the bed while carrying gear. And then when loading up my boat at the boat ramp by myself I find that the small tailgate is helpful in transitioning from the bow of the boat back to the truck. It's a pretty slick gadget in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
This is a pretty weak attempt at catching up to GM and Ram. Is this the best they could come up with? A door like Ram's but smaller and centered? And then a flip down step that's 2 inches lower than the regular step? Why didn't they just make the bumper drop 2 inches lower and do away with the gadget? I guess this is marginally better than what they have now?

GM's tailgate really is a great feature and the best option on the market. I find myself using it all the time to get a deeper reach into the bed or to help step in/out of the bed while carrying gear. And then when loading up my boat at the boat ramp by myself I find that the small tailgate is helpful in transitioning from the bow of the boat back to the truck. It's a pretty slick gadget in my opinion.
I would say that Multi Use Tailgate was a pretty weak attempt to catch up to Ford's Tailgate Step.

I guess it all depends on what color glasses you are wearing, and how well you know your Body Shop, or don't have anything to tow.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I would say that Multi Use Tailgate was a pretty weak attempt to catch up to Ford's Tailgate Step.

I guess it all depends on what color glasses you are wearing, and how well you know your Body Shop, or don't have anything to tow.
Yeah. You think everything that Ford does is better. No surprise here.

What do you think Ford's step provides that GM's doesn't? Cheaper to repair? Is that your boast? Ok, that's probably true. Great for Ford!

You can't use Ford's step at all when towing. I use my bumper step and inner tailgate when towing.

What else?

Reactions: eklauss

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yeah. You think everything that Ford does is better. No surprise here.

What do you think Ford's step provides that GM's doesn't? Cheaper to repair? Is that your boast? Ok, that's probably true. Great for Ford!

You can't use Ford's step at all when towing. I use my bumper step and inner tailgate when towing.

What else?
And you think everything GM is better. I pull a 5th wheel and see no benefit to the GM tailgate, the bumper is great, no moving parts. Added weight from the heavy tailgate takes away from payload, which is limited on a 1/2 ton. So far I would prefer the Ram split tailgate to do more of what I need. Might be able to open the short side with the trailer hooked up. Can't use either GM or Ford at those times. Ram allows for loading redi mix easier than GM or my current semi-useful man step.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I personally don't like the Ford patent:
  • First you have to swing the tailgate to the right.
  • Next you have to reach down and flip the bumper step out.
  • Even though the bumper step is cut out for the receiver, some hitch balls will still interfere. Also even if they clear it the ball will probably still stick up higher than the step surface. This just creates a huge tripping hazard and is still a shin-breaker.
  • Then you have to remember to close the bumper step once you are done. I expect most people will remember to close the tailgate but not flip the bumper step over.
I like a lot of the Rivian design but I have tested their step and it is junk, the mechanisms will break quickly.

As far as the GM Multi-pro, they finally got smart. Starting with the 2022 MY trucks they have the ability to sense if a hitch ball is in the receiver and if so they won't let the center section drop down (you can also buy aftermarket plug-and-play kits to do this for current trucks).

I think all these tailgate steps are silly. If they would make the load floor of the bed lower then you wouldn't need a step AND the truck would be easier to load. If I had to have a step I like the GM corner steps the best since they stay out of the way when loading/unloading.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The handle in the middle of the door looks terrible, though.
Its like Ford had some old Philco fridge doors lying around. The offset badge just makes it look more awkward.

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire Car

Also the ugliest lol.
Ugly, meet hideous. Is this the Levolor Blind Edition?

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ain't no truck guy but, the simple GM corner steps are the best mousetrap.
The bumper-steps work OK for some things, better than nothing, but the guy below laughed out of his Chinese made chair when I told him how great Ford's bumper-step was, suddenly he likes gadgets when his brand offers them!

But, but, but I thought the bumper step does everything you would ever need?..................

----------------------------------------------

Looks Great! Love it!

View attachment 65271

1 - 20 of 44 Posts