GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six small sport utility vehicles, gaining in popularity with consumers for their fuel-efficiency, got top safety marks in an industry survey released today.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, an industry-funded group that prods automakers to add safety features to their vehicles, said in a report that the 2009 Ford Escape and its corporate cousins the Mercury Mariner and Mazda Tribute, as well as the 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander, 2008 Nissan Rogue and the new 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan, all earned "good" ratings in the front, side and rear-crash protection tests.

On the other end of the scale, the group dinged the Jeep Patriot, Jeep Wrangler, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent, awarding them mostly marginal or acceptable ratings.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080820/AUTO01/808200349/1148/AUTO01

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I was honestly surprised the Nissan Rogue did so well......it looks really dainty in person.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Six small sport utility vehicles, gaining in popularity with consumers for their fuel-efficiency, got top safety marks in an industry survey released today.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, an industry-funded group that prods automakers to add safety features to their vehicles, said in a report that the 2009 Ford Escape and its corporate cousins the Mercury Mariner and Mazda Tribute, as well as the 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander, 2008 Nissan Rogue and the new 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan, all earned "good" ratings in the front, side and rear-crash protection tests.

On the other end of the scale, the group dinged the Jeep Patriot, Jeep Wrangler, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent, awarding them mostly marginal or acceptable ratings.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080820/AUTO01/808200349/1148/AUTO01
I dont and will not take in account crash test ratings, when im buying a car. I dont care. Give me something I like, and appeals to me, and only GM!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I dont and will not take in account crash test ratings, when im buying a car. I dont care. Give me something I like, and appeals to me, and only GM!
Im not saying your wrong, because quality, style, and features def are a better selling feature then the safety, almost any new car you can buy today is 10 times as safe as a 10 year old counterpart.

But do you hold even the least bit of anamosity because GM only represents with the CTS, Vue and the Saab 9-3? GM safety will improve and there will eventually be no need for a top safety pick list, as it will be the new industry standard

Honda-Acura and Subaru's NA lineups are almost all there, Ford/ Lincoln Mercury and all the badge engineering make up the most on the list with 11 models (including 3 Volvo models).

Here are just Fords, minus their badged counterparts
Taurus Sable
Taurus X
Edge Lincoln MkX
2009 Escape Tribute and Mariner

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I'm the stereotypical Jewish smother-mother and I don't give a fig about safety ratings. While I wouldn't buy anything that fails a crash test miserably, such as most of what's coming out of China, crash ratings simply aren't anywhere near the top of my priority list.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Wow, I guess I am a pansy. I'll admit it....crash test ratings "matter" to me, but it's certainly not #1 on my list. Pictures of the 2000 Blazer and Astro, were downright scary, as were the 2004 heritage (and older) F-150's.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
95% of families with kids, care.

I care............ and I have one 6-year-old. I care, because I put the safety of my child, above mine, as most parents do.

Thus, if you are marketing a vehicle to families............. you had better care also.

Is safety the number one buying consideration................ no. Is it in the top 3............... yes. People do research these days, before spending their hard earned money. It doesn't matter that all vehicles are a great deal safer than they used to be............ if a certain vehicle is in the bottom of the rankings for safety, then you are going to cross it off of your consideration list. There are just too many better offerings out there.

If you say that you don't care about safety, as long as you buy a GM vehicle.......... then you are truly blindly biased.

That said, I am sure that the redesigned Equinox will do much better.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you say that you don't care about safety, as long as you buy a GM vehicle.......... then you are truly blindly biased.

That said, I am sure that the redesigned Equinox will do much better.
Well said, im sure Ford fans would scuff ratings if they're vehicles didnt perform the way they did in these tests. When GM does get its act together on new vehicles and good crash safety, the previous doubters will start getting on other manfactuers about their ratings. Ford does have Volvo as a safety how-to, so I think it would be an embarassment for Ford to perform any other way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts