GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching CBS the other night when a Mercury commercial popped up showing some guy slamming on the trunk of his Buick LeSabre. Then it showed another guy slamming on the trunk of his Toyota Avalon. Then the announcer claimed Mercury Grand Marquis had more trunk space than Avalon & LeSabre. The Grand Marquis owner but in about 5 bags and closed the trunk easily.
During the next commercial break (of the **** Van Dyke Revisited Eps. :lol: ), I saw another Mercury commercial saying that the Mercury Monterey was much easier to work with (fold flat seats vs Chrysler Town and Country 2004 seats). Ford is surely on the offensive, mostly because of the ongoing declining sales in their cars........
Any thoughts????

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I think you go with what works.

The truth is that the Grand Marquis does have a bigger trunk than it's competitors.
and the Freestar does have fold flat seats compared to the '04 Magic vans.

I see no problems with that type of advertising.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just because the trunk is larger: doesn't mean you can't fit the amount of baggage into LeSabre or Avalon. Give me a break: for all I know, Mercury could surely be lying. They're using 2004 models for comparison instead of 2005. Can Ford just see that their vehicles suck?

Rex Raider: There is no problem with that kind of advertising, but it is very rare. The only reason automakers will do it is because of declining sales.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The Ford commercials for the Dodge mini van owner lugging out the rear seat and saying that Ford has fold aways and Dodge does it. They might mean 2004, but compared new cars to new cars. I loved my moms T&C. The fold flat seats are a great idea.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
well i hate to say this and it kills me to do it but i would rather buy a ford than a toyota thank goodness there are chevys to buy

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i hate to say this and it kills me to do it but i would rather buy a ford than a toyota
I would rather buy a Toyota then a Chevrolet anyday. The only reason I have a Cadillac is because I have money to spend and I'm experimenting. 15 problems in 2 months, and Cadillac: say bye-bye. But that hasn't happened to me yet, so I am on the safe side.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You can get a 2004 Ford Taurus on ebay with 14500 miles for 12995 and a 2003 with 22k miles for 8885. Both are "Buy it Now" prices. That is just sad.

·
Registered
302 Posts
ford is on the ropes financially more so then even chrysler was after the take over from daimler benz they're about to cave...and they're going to sell off some divisions i feel if they're going to recover...the 500 is almost automatically relegated to rental fleets and company cars...what else is coming down the pipes from ford?

·
Registered
733 Posts
as far as Ive been alive, there have been commercialsl ike this. There have been commercials like this long before I was even alive. ITs nothing new to see a company advertising itself over another, thats called COMPETITION

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trunk space commercials are the dumbest thing since that 84' Mars-related Camaro commercial. Sorry: but when it comes down to the final stretch, does trunk space really possess you to buy a vehicle? I thought it was other issues like the interior space, horsepower/engine, etc.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
In my opinion, contrary to what some here believe, it just seems like Ford is trying to sell cars with features that the DO have. I really don't know about most of you guys, but I don't think you're the target audience for these types of ads- the people who Ford wants to buy these cars are people who just need a car that gets the job done in comfort (not necessarily style). Look at it this way- at least they're not making up or distorting facts. I'm not saying we should praise them for telling the truth, but that people should get of their ass for making a commercial.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
All manufacturers do it, some more subtle than others. GM's claim that their crew cab 1/2ton have the most power, not said 4.8L verses 4.6L or 4.7L.

It's all just a game. Look at the US election, I don't think I heard any " i'll do this," it was all he'll do this and that.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, trunk-space commercials is quite a game. Trunk-space? I mean, that is a first-class laugh! What do I care about a Crown Victoria have trunk space? Or space for SIX?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts