GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Bathurst 1000 2014: Ford to be killed off V8 Supercars circuit at end of 2015, ending iconic rivalry with Holden

James Phelps
9 October 2014
www.dailytelegraph.com.au

Ford is dead according to high level V8 Supercars officials with Australia’s greatest sporting rivalry to be killed off by the end of next year.

In a Bathurst bombshell delivered on the week the last GT Falcon was built, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ford are set to axe V8 Supercars from their $60 million sponsorship war chest in a move that will end iconic Ford v Holden Mount Panorama racing war.

With the Falcon already dead and waiting to be buried, V8 officials have been told Ford will officially quit the sport at the end of the year and will not renew a multi-million dollar year deal with reigning Bathurst champions Ford Performance Racing (FPR).

Ford will remain on the grid next year with FPR and Penske/**** Johnson Racing to give the Falcon a one year stay of execution with plans already underway to turn the FGX — the last ever Falcon — into a V8 Supercar.

But then the Aussie legend, forged by Ford warrior **** Johnson, will be dead.

This weekend’s Bathurst is shaping as the penultimate 1000km fight between Ford and Holden with Mark Winterbottom looking to continue the Blue Oval’s famous Mount Panorama history by upsetting Holden great Jamie Whincup.

The Daily Telegraph has been told six Ford Falcons have been confirmed to race in next year’s series with both FPR and Penske-DJR to hit the grid with the new FGX that will not be funded by Ford.

Then the 22 year-old war, made famous by Johnson and Peter Brock, will be over.

Ford’s future in the sport has been under a heavy cloud since the American giant announced the Falcon would be axed in 2016 after and Ford’s Australian factory closed.

Continue here

Holden backs V8 Supercars to promote Commodore replacement

CarSales
8 October 2014
www.carsales.com.au

Winning races is a cost-effective way to launch next-generation large sedan in Australia — GM

With the biggest V8 Supercars race of the year looming at Bathurst this week, Holden has signalled the category can play an important role in the launch of its Commodore replacement -- if sedans are allowed to race in the category post-2017.

Holden ceases local manufacturing no later than the end of 2017, killing off the locally-developed Commodore which has underpinned its touring car racing efforts since 1980.

At the same time, V8 Supercars is expected to roll out the next generation of V8 Supercar regulations, possibly abandoning sedans for coupes or allowing the two body styles to race alongside each other. The future of the V8 engine is also under review.

As reported from last week’s Paris motor show, the next-generation Opel Insignia is expected to take on the role of Holden’s mainstream sedan, potentially without using the Commodore name. It has been previewed by the Monza concept (pictured) and is due to emerge in 2016.

Holden motorsport boss Simon McNamara told motoring.com.au that V8 Supercars would be a cost effective way to promote Holden’s Commodore successor.

“To me where this sport goes and what we potentially would do fits OK,” McNamara said. “It would potentially give us the chance to sex up a car pretty quickly because we have got – in my mind – the best teams in pitlane.

Holden has just renewed all-conquering Triple Eight Race Engineering (Red Bull Racing Australia) and the Holden Racing Team as its factory operations in Australia’s most important racing category for 2015-16 and McNamara believes they could deliver a winning start for a new car.

“We could potentially have overnight success with a new model and all the rest of that stuff, which gives you some cache in the marketplace without spending $150 million in the media,” McNamara said.

Continue here

Ford V8s exit would be 'commercial suicide'

Roje Adaimy & Adrian Warren
13 October 2014
www.ninemsn.com.au

Bathurst 1000 winners Chaz Mostert and Paul Morris reckon it makes no sense and would be commercial suicide for Ford to exit the sport.

The dramatic victory on Sunday was both Mostert and Morris' first at Mount Panorama, but second for the factory-backed Ford Performance Racing outfit following Mark Winterbottom's breakthrough win last year.

Reports emerged last Friday that Ford was planning to leave the sport when its sponsorship deal with FPR expired at the end of this year.

Ford Australia boss Bob Graziano said the company was still in negotiations and would make an announcement after the season finale in Sydney in December.

"You saw the outcry of emotion and the passion for the brand yesterday and if Ford don't get involved it's going to be commercial suicide," co-driver Morris said on Monday.

"I just can't see it's going to happen."

Mostert, who won the great race at just his second attempt, was equally emphatic.

"It's a fantastic brand and our Supercars series has been built on the Ford-Holden Rivalry over the years," Mostert said.

"So for them to go, it just makes no sense and I think it might kill the sport a bit."

"But I just drive race cars and I'll let the commercial teams work all that stuff out."

Mostert believed his triumph should send a pretty strong message that Ford needed to stay.

"Yeah, for sure," he said.

"We want Ford to be here next year, and I'm pretty sure they will be."

Mostert and Morris defied the odds to win the longest and most chaotic edition of the Great Race.

Continue article

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Re: Holden backs V8 Supercars to promote Commodore replacement

I wonder if with the FALCON/Commodore dying and V8 supercars going to a car of the future / stock car type of series and the LACK of a V8 "take home" version if SUPERCARS them selves will HURT and that is why all the push to get OTHER makes involved

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

This clearly suggests Holden would prefer to race the Insignia, or it might want to adopt the V8 sports sedan that is being designed in North America to replace the Commodore-based SS in Chevrolet’s US line-up and is expected to be sold here, probably badged as the Holden SS.
As I keep saying to those decrying the FWD Insignia as Holden's family car replacement, the future Holden lineup isn't done yet....stay tuned.

·
Registered
350 Posts

As I keep saying to those decrying the FWD Insignia as Holden's family car replacement, the future Holden lineup isn't done yet....stay tuned.
Go sell crazy somewhere else lady, we're all stocked up here. Please name two product directives or decisions from GM HO (which is where all such Holden decisions are now made) that was a good thing for Holden.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Holden motorsport boss Simon McNamara told motoring.com.au that "It would potentially give us the chance to sex up a DUD car pretty quickly"
Is this what he was really saying?

·
Banned
12 Posts
Re: BREAKING: Ford to quit V8 Supercars, Holden investing in next gen racer

No disrespect to the Aussies but did Holden ever have a real Holden developed V8? I've only seen a SBC derivative, a genuine SBC and the Chevrolet SBC gen 3-4 (or GM) LS.

·
Registered
12,971 Posts

No disrespect to the Aussies but did Holden ever have a real Holden developed V8? I've only seen a SBC derivative, a genuine SBC and the Chevrolet SBC gen 3-4 (or GM) LS.
It was better than the Chev

Holden 308 and 253 then later 304 and stroker versions

·
Registered
350 Posts

At the 1993 Bathurst 1000, Larry Perkins was the only Commodore team to keep racing with the Holden V8. Everyone else moved to the GM race motor.

Not only did he put it on the front row, checkout the gap by the first corner. :eek:
watch/q5Yea6m4nBM?t=6m32s
Guess who killed development of the Holden 308...

·
Registered
13,172 Posts

Should be a ford mustang vs Chevy camaro and dodge challenger,,,,

Jmo

·
Registered
756 Posts

As others have said, Holden V8

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts

At the 1993 Bathurst 1000, Larry Perkins was the only Commodore team to keep racing with the Holden V8. Everyone else moved to the GM race motor.

Not only did he put it on the front row, checkout the gap by the first corner. :eek:
watch/q5Yea6m4nBM?t=6m32s
Guess who killed development of the Holden 308...
Perkins had to take CAMS and Holden to court, IIRC to be allowed permission to race. the Holden V8 is a lighter set of castings, about 50lb even though it's wider across the V than the SBC.

Holden's chief driveline engineer told me at the MY10 Commodore launch Holden had a alloy-head SOHC 5.0 under development in the mid-90's. When BMW and Merc had 250ish hp from their 4 litrish mills and I think GM's best SBC had about 220, maybe 240 in the Corvette. It had 300hp/300 lb-ft in streetable trim.

But it needed 10s of thousands of hours dyno work and miles on the street for durability, emissions and fuel economy standards. Plus, wasn't small or light. Then GM stunned the world with the LSx range of alloy motors, the least powerful version of which was 300hp and 100lb lighter and much more compact. It was a no-brainer for Holden to park the cammer. HSV took the 5.0 out to 5.7 and 215Kw through headers in the VT1 GTS, I had a friend who had one pinched, we heard the alarm go off. The first Holden VT LS1 had 220 through log manifolds........

In restrospect, despite the LS1 being a bit torque-lite it's been a good move, as VT Series 1s sold about 16,000 with the 4999cc Holden V8 and S2s sold nearly 40,000 with the LS1. Or V8s went from one in ten, to about one in five. Poor old Ford struggled on with the Windsor - a stock VT II SS was quicker than a Tickford 5.0 AU, to add to it's appearance woes. No wonder Ford rushed out the XR6T in the BA.

When the cops got VT Series IIs, Porsches and other quick exotica stopped trying to outrun them, as they were nearly 40km/h faster. It was briefly the fastest Australian car on the road and sedan in the world, until HSV got the 255Kw VTII HSVs out.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts

Should be a ford mustang vs Chevy camaro and dodge challenger,,,,

Jmo
Why? Fine cars, but they won't sell whatever FWD clunkers the Big 3 are going to push on us. Chrysler is selling 300s here, they looked at a V8 Supercars program. The Challenger is allegedly going to be sold, although not sure what as, unless they sell it as a Chrysler Charger. It used to be the 'Valliant Charger by Chrysler(!)'

At 2:35 they introduce Graeme Blundell aka Alvin Purple, who was a very naughty boy - very clever example of cross promotion.

In Australia Valliant or Chrysler always sold the passenger cars, Dodge the trucks. My Dad had a work Dodge ute like this one:

Fiatsler exited the Dodge brand last year or two, with the Magnum, Nitro and Caliber.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.