GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I'm glad Ford is having success with the preorders. The styling just isn't for me, and I never really was a Ford guy so I'm not interested, but it looks like it will be a big hit.

For years and years on this forum, I was banging the drum about wanting Chevy/GMC to bring back and do a truly compact Pickup like this. When we heard years back they were bringing back the Colorado, I was excited, only to be let down at the size of it (The Colorado is basically as big as a full sizer was just in the late 1990's. Not for me.

Now, I have a deposit down on a Hyundai Santa Cruz, and barring anything unexpected, it looks like that will be our next new vehicle in about a month or two from now. If Chevy or GMC wouldn't be late to this party, it might have been just our 2nd new GM vehicle in our last 10 (in the 1990's and early 2000 I was the owner of 3 brand new S10s/Sonomas)....but as others have said...still waiting on GM.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I would think that this Segment would pull more from SUV/CUV sales than FS Truck Sales. For the simple reason that "They are a SUV/CUV that can haul a can of Gas, Yard Waste, Bikes, Lawn Mowers, tow a fair sized Boat, Better than Compact CUV's can do."

Just compare Suburban Sales to Crew Cab Silverado Sales.
I can see this pulling some sales from the very low end of CUV sales but not much. I would guess this will pull mostly from mid-size trucks and sedans rather than SUV/CUVs. A lot of people buy mid-size trucks because it's the cheapest truck available, not because they need that specific size. And this is a lot more practical than a sedan at an entry-sedan price. That's got to be appealing for a lot of sedan buyers, especially younger ones. I mean, why wouldn't every rational college kid (or parents of one) who can afford a $20k vehicle not buy one of these?

OTOH, SUV/CUV is an image vehicle now or, in the larger sizes, because they need a third row. Neither of those two groups are going to be drawn to the Maverick.

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right, but that Denali XT concept was pretty big...probably between where the Canyon is now and Sierra, a little too close for comfort on the Sierra...Remember, that thing was built off Zeta as well so it would've carried a decent sized pricetag to boot.

Right now in 2021 I can totally see a C1 version for Chevy and GMC just as long as they don't let it grow too big in size. I'm thinking more along the lines of where the Acadia and XT6 are and not Traverse - Enclave...using the shorter WB will give you enough room to continue moving the higher profit fullsize trucks.
Traverse and xt6 are same as Acadia

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Not quite homie...Traverse rides the long wheelbase version of the platform while the XTsux and Acadia ride on the short wheelbase. There's an 8" difference 120" vs 112" between them

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
And gains new Ford customers for their other products.
GM is shooting themselves in the foot, IMO
That's always been my rub...GM is only building cars for GM customers, Ford and FCA/Stellantis are reaching out for new customers. Maybe these EVs pull in new customers...GM needs them to

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
Not quite homie...Traverse rides the long wheelbase version of the platform while the XTsux and Acadia ride on the short wheelbase. There's an 8" difference 120" vs 112" between them
Traverse is wider too.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Right, but that Denali XT concept was pretty big...probably between where the Canyon is now and Sierra, a little too close for comfort on the Sierra...Remember, that thing was built off Zeta as well so it would've carried a decent sized pricetag to boot.....
Zeta wasn't that expensive. The 2010-14 Camaro was Zeta, and so was the Pontiac G8. The last zeta, the Chevy SS (best car ever!) was pricey mainly because it was a very heavily "optioned" vehicle, with no base model offered, and GM did as much as they could to NOT sell it.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,319 Posts
If we only bought what we need, most of us would be driving compact cars.
You're right...said the guy who drives a stick-shift Sonic. :):):)

You can easily spec a Mav over $30K (AWD etc), no way I'd buy one of those. Ditto a +$30K Trailblazer. But the $22K-ish hybrids might be interesting. I'd have to see what that front end looks like in real, the photos aren't encouraging. Plus the interior. From photos, IMO the Trailblazer's looks better but again I'd have to compare in real.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I see what you did there BORG. ;)

One reason Ford is able to offer a HEV at such a reasonable price point is economy of scale, thanks to 17 years of continuous production. Ford was the first automaker to offer a SUV with a hybrid powertrain, with the Escape Hybrid introduced in 2004.

Maverick's hybrid powertrain is the latest version of the power split system originally designed by Aisin and then brought in-house at Ford with the 2009 Escape Hybrid.
The Escape original hybrid was not designed by either Toyota or Aisin. It used some similar concepts and Ford cross licensed some patents to avoid litigation. Internet myth that it wasn't designed in house at Ford.

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
Zeta wasn't that expensive. The 2010-14 Camaro was Zeta, and so was the Pontiac G8. The last zeta, the Chevy SS (best car ever!) was pricey mainly because it was a very heavily "optioned" vehicle, with no base model offered, and GM did as much as they could to NOT sell it.
I thought about buying one of those when they pulled the plug, based on used car prices, it would have been a cheap ride for several years, but I was afraid of the "White Elephant" aspect, dealers don't know how to work on them, can't get parts, etc.

If we only bought what we need, most of us would be driving compact cars.
I would still have to rent a truck once in a while, but yeah. "Vehicles" Cars/Trucks/SUVs are my vice, they were when I could barely afford it, now that I can, whatever it's only money. One of the reasons I got the V6 with Trailer Package in the Blazer, it along with a trailer would serve in a pinch, were I to go "truck-less". 3-cars in today's mostly work from home world is absurd, just broke 16K on my truck, it'll be 3 years old next month, Blazer is 6 months old and I don't think we've hit 2,000 miles yet!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I don't get the argument that GM is ignoring this segment because it's low profit. Meanwhile Chevy has the Trax, Trailblazer, Spark, Malibu & Equinox. Seems like they could eliminate some of those loss leaders and put it toward something new and growing.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Maverick is a nice looking truck, hope it does really well for Ford, but l would still prefer a Chevy LUV myself personally.

Can't see it cannibalising Ranger sales much, the Ranger is a much much better truck.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Question, did the Maverick origins begin in the south America’s, not sure if it did. Serious question. If it did, could this be a great marketing move on Fords part. Think of all the illegals that are coming from the southern countries. Would this be something they are used to seeing. It fits with what they grew up with. And now they can buy on here.

Just a thought, Ford is looking at the changing demographics of the country. I could be 100% wrong.

·
Premium Member
34,675 Posts
GM seems to have given up on low priced vehicles like this and compact cars. No profit - don't bother. Strategy now is profit>volume.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford loses money on these Mavericks.
GM realized they are firs and foremost a business

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
Maverick is a nice looking truck, hope it does really well for Ford, but l would still prefer a Chevy LUV myself personally.

Can't see it cannibalizing Ranger sales much, the Ranger is a much much better truck.
What is your metric here? Sure the Ranger is a "better truck" but it is also a lot more expensive, as I said previously this would fill the need of many truck buys today. Does every Ranger buyer, need what it offers, or buy it because they they want a truck, but not full-size. Get 95% of what you "need" at 60-75% the price will work fine for many.

·
Premium Member
11,300 Posts
I don't get the argument that GM is ignoring this segment because it's low profit. Meanwhile Chevy has the Trax, Trailblazer, Spark, Malibu & Equinox. Seems like they could eliminate some of those loss leaders and put it toward something new and growing.
Precisely, Ford chose to do a compact pickup rather than do just another compact utility but even then, they almost did a Maverick utility which would have probably replaced the Ecosport…..

And then Ford has a Transit Connect coming out of the same plant. What a difference when Ford actually plays to its strong instead of copying everyone els…..

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I can see this pulling some sales from the very low end of CUV sales but not much. I would guess this will pull mostly from mid-size trucks and sedans rather than SUV/CUVs. A lot of people buy mid-size trucks because it's the cheapest truck available, not because they need that specific size. And this is a lot more practical than a sedan at an entry-sedan price. That's got to be appealing for a lot of sedan buyers, especially younger ones. I mean, why wouldn't every rational college kid (or parents of one) who can afford a $20k vehicle not buy one of these?

OTOH, SUV/CUV is an image vehicle now or, in the larger sizes, because they need a third row. Neither of those two groups are going to be drawn to the Maverick.
Don't get me wrong, Ford is hoping for Sedan Buyers to latch onto this concept, well because they have No Sedans to sell. This is also why the Maverick is coming in at $20K to start, Entry Level Market.

But I still see it as a CUV option, that can Carry a MORE diverse Cargo. Ford once had the Sport Trac, Highly Luxurious SUV with a Box. Totally different than the Col/Can Twins. It appealed to a Different Buyer with Different needs, even though it wasn't much different. The Maverick is very similar, "Some People" need the comfort of a Car, with the Utility of a Truck. Not that they are hauling Fridges and Water Tanks daily, weekly or even monthly. But they need to haul a Gas Can, to mow there 2 acre yard, Bike Rack to go biking on the weekends, and tow their double Sea Doo Trailer.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts