1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bloomberg News
August 23, 2021

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

’s new tiny truck, the Maverick, is generating lots of early interest, with reservations for the hybrid pickup topping 100,000 and demand coming from California markets that typically favor imports.

The reservations are nonbinding and don’t require a deposit, but Ford is confident they’ll convert into orders as they did with a similar system set up to build interest for the electric Mustang Mach-E and revived Bronco SUV.

“This really has exceeded our expectations,” Todd Eckert, Ford’s truck marketing manager, said in an interview. “This is the initial step with reservations. But we think it bodes extremely well.”

Ford is making a bid for entry-level import buyers with the Maverick, which starts at under $20,000 and gets 40 miles per gallon with the standard gasoline-electric hybrid version. The compact pickup is only six inches longer than a Toyota Camry sedan. It represents a new effort to reach price-conscious consumers after the automaker dropped the Ford Focus and exited slow-selling sedans in the U.S.

So far, Ford says the most reservations are coming from Los Angeles, where the Toyota Tacoma midsize pickup dominates the market. San Francisco ranks third on the Maverick reservation list, behind Orlando, Florida, and just ahead of Houston.

The vehicle, which is being built in Mexico, officially goes on sale this fall.

Michael Meadors, 30, of Costa Mesa, California, has already converted his reservation into an order for a black Maverick with a sticker price of $22,030, after he added some safety-oriented technology upgrades. With a nearly 50-mile round-trip commute to his human-resources job in L.A., Meadors said he was attracted by the truck’s fuel economy and modest size.

“It’s not that much bigger than the Ford Fusion I’m driving,” Meadors said. “So it should be pretty easy to buzz around in heavy traffic in Southern California and find parking.”

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Ford is smart, this segment has been ignored for far too long. I've called for a new Chevy Luv for a long time. Roomier than a car, you sit higher like in a CUV/SUV, and you get the utility of a truck. If I lived in Cali or a big city, I'd own one.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I'm really curious to see if they've created a hot new segment, or if this market has a ceiling like the midsize truck.

The Maverick is also a confluence of other Ford properties that not all automakers are in shape to match, specifically the standard and insanely affordable Hybrid drivetrain. GM and FCA for example can't pull that from the corporate platform bin. You'd have to make the step to an EV, but that's years from being affordable or universal. Either way it may be hard to compete directly with Maverick, it's such a unique package, but I have to think Stellantis is working on it.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I'm really curious to see if they've created a hot new segment, or if this market has a ceiling like the midsize truck.
Its not really a new segment, as there were vehicles in the past that were similar. The El Camino, Ranchero, Brat...times have changed and its time for that segment to come back. I think GM was concerned it would eat into the Full size truck segment, their cash cow....so they let it go. Their mentality..."we will tell the customer what to buy" well thats not working so well anymore and the market is speaking loud and clear.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
The GMC Denali XT concept back in 2008 was really good looking IMO....of course it never happened because of...well its GM.

View attachment 64280
This thing was 🔥🔥🔥, would've made the Ridgeline obsolete day 1....and probably the Sierra as well. Might be why they didn't make it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
The problem with the midsize segment is price. For almost the same price you can get a way more useful fullsize. Hopefully Ford can make the Maverick cheap enough to keep the price in the car range and not the truck range. That's the secret to its long-term success.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,044 Posts
This thing was 🔥🔥🔥, would've made the Ridgeline obsolete day 1....and probably the Sierra as well. Might be why they didn't make it.
I doubt it would have made the Sierra obsolete. I think we can just chalk it up to gm being typical gm and they're always showing off of enticing concepts that would do well but having no intent whatsoever in producing any of them.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,348 Posts
GM seems to have given up on low priced vehicles like this and compact cars. No profit - don't bother. Strategy now is profit>volume.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford loses money on these Mavericks.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
I doubt it would have made the Sierra obsolete. I think we can just chalk it up to gm being typical gm and they're always showing off of enticing concepts that would do well but having no intent whatsoever in producing any of them.
Bad choice in words on my part re: Sierra, but it would've cannibalized some Sierra sales definitely. And probably some of the high end Denali sales at that....they couldn't let that happen.

GM has a recent history of protecting models by suppressing concepts or dumbing/scaling down production vehicles.

·
Premium Member
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You nailed it. The Maverick is perhaps the first pickup truck that will clearly appeal to people who never saw themselves owning a pickup truck. It's a small, usable, fuel efficient package that just happens to have a pickup truck bed instead of a trunk. Ford should have great success converting Fiesta, Focus and Fusion owners to make the switch. Now, do they have excess chip capacity to make them...

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I think both the Sierra and Silverado would lose some sales, but they definitely wouldn't be obsolete. There are definitely people who have body on frame trucks that don't really need it, but they are forced into it because thats the only game in town. They use the trucks for daily drivers/family vehicles that they throw some camping gear in the rear, or the mountain bikes. Extreme duty for them is throwing some furniture in the back or picking up a refridgerator from Best Buy. I expect it would pull some sales from SUV's as well.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I would think that this Segment would pull more from SUV/CUV sales than FS Truck Sales. For the simple reason that "They are a SUV/CUV that can haul a can of Gas, Yard Waste, Bikes, Lawn Mowers, tow a fair sized Boat, Better than Compact CUV's can do."

Just compare Suburban Sales to Crew Cab Silverado Sales.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
I would think that this Segment would pull more from SUV/CUV sales than FS Truck Sales. For the simple reason that "They are a SUV/CUV that can haul a can of Gas, Yard Waste, Bikes, Lawn Mowers, tow a fair sized Boat, Better than Compact CUV's can do."

Just compare Suburban Sales to Crew Cab Silverado Sales.
Right, but that Denali XT concept was pretty big...probably between where the Canyon is now and Sierra, a little too close for comfort on the Sierra...Remember, that thing was built off Zeta as well so it would've carried a decent sized pricetag to boot.

Right now in 2021 I can totally see a C1 version for Chevy and GMC just as long as they don't let it grow too big in size. I'm thinking more along the lines of where the Acadia and XT6 are and not Traverse - Enclave...using the shorter WB will give you enough room to continue moving the higher profit fullsize trucks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The problem with the midsize segment is price. For almost the same price you can get a way more useful fullsize. Hopefully Ford can make the Maverick cheap enough to keep the price in the car range and not the truck range. That's the secret to its long-term success.
This is not true. With a Midsize you can get all the extra for the cost of slightly optioned fullsize. Just because you buy a midsize doesn't mean you don't want all the bells and whistles. Many people need a truck but don't want a fullsize and they still want the options. If you option a full size the same way you option a midsize the fullsize will be at least 10k more.

·
Registered
20,888 Posts

The Maverick is also a confluence of other Ford properties that not all automakers are in shape to match, specifically the standard and insanely affordable Hybrid drivetrain. GM and FCA for example can't pull that from the corporate platform bin. You'd have to make the step to an EV, but that's years from being affordable or universal. Either way it may be hard to compete directly with Maverick, it's such a unique package, but I have to think Stellantis is working on it.

You nailed it. The Maverick is perhaps the first pickup truck that will clearly appeal to people who never saw themselves owning a pickup truck. It's a small, usable, fuel efficient package that just happens to have a pickup truck bed instead of a trunk. Ford should have great success converting Fiesta, Focus and Fusion owners to make the switch. Now, do they have excess chip capacity to make them....
This is a "lifestyle truck" probably a good option for many truck buyers; basically a smaller CUV with a bed, you lose some functionality in an enclosed cargo area like a CUV, but gain some utility in the pick-up bed. Yet another HOME RUN by Ford.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,318 Posts
To me the good part of the Mav is the FWD hybrid at around 40MPG City (final numbers should be out soon) as a crossover alternative. A base model starts around $21.5K including delivery, I'm pretty sure that's the cheapest hybrid you can buy, or about the same price as a FWD Trailblazer with much better MPG. I would compare them head-to-head, pros and cons, if I was in the market (which right now I'm not).

Because of chips, the hybrid Mavs will apparently be in short supply:

Reactions: wallus13

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
The Maverick makes such a massive leap in fuel efficiency and affordability. It satisfies the priorities of entry-level Compact/Midsize sedan & suv customers with a way more flexible and utilitarian vehicle. It's quite a genius move. We've never seen a pickup do that before, only Crossovers. It's still shocking they got a Hybrid to this pricing.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,876 Posts
It's still shocking they got a Hybrid to this pricing.
I see what you did there BORG. ;)

One reason Ford is able to offer a HEV at such a reasonable price point is economy of scale, thanks to 17 years of continuous production. Ford was the first automaker to offer a SUV with a hybrid powertrain, with the Escape Hybrid introduced in 2004.

Maverick's hybrid powertrain is the latest version of the power split system originally designed by Aisin and then brought in-house at Ford with the 2009 Escape Hybrid.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts