GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The car is cute enough but is it safe at 75 MPH? That's my question about mcro cars on USA freeways. Just how many pile-ups and how many killed! I would like to have FORD, RE-DESIGN ITS FULL SIZED CARS, to hold the same number of passengers, with a lot less weight! This will make them more fuel efficient, and that will take care of the problems.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The car is cute enough but is it safe at 75 MPH? That's my question about mcro cars on USA freeways. Just how many pile-ups and how many killed! I would like to have FORD, RE-DESIGN ITS FULL SIZED CARS, to hold the same number of passengers, with a lot less weight! This will make them more fuel efficient, and that will take care of the problems.
They drive them on the Autobahn.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
It's not like we have never had small cars in the U.S... Geo Metro, Suzuki Swift, Pontiac LeMans, Honda CRX, Honda CVCC, Toyota Echo, etc.

They all co-existed with land-whales and tanks.

It's just matter of getting back into those smaller cars. It's nothing new to us.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The car is cute enough but is it safe at 75 MPH? That's my question about mcro cars on USA freeways. Just how many pile-ups and how many killed!
About its safety...
The 2009 Ford Ka hasn't been tested by the EuroNCAP, but we know that its retro styled twin, the Fiat 500, got a 5-star rating.

The 2009 Ford Ka and Fiat 500 share the same platform and basic body architecture. Both models are manufactured in Tychy, Poland.

Ford Ka

Fiat 500

·
Registered
928 Posts
Suuuuure....

But until you have Hummer H2s, GM large Suvs and the Ford Expedition and Super Duty trucks riding up your a**, the semi's seem kind of tame because they cant drive around and cut you off. American highways are a scary place when people are driving their 6,000 lb SUVs the same way most drive their cars.

I know we have had these subcompact cars before, and the Smart fortwo seems to be holding its own, but tis just a matter of time before these seemingly safe little cars are crunched up against a highway barrier

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
For every tiny car in Europe there's a BMW 5-series or Land Rover Discovery or Peugeot 807 minivan (or the incredible amount of transport trucks, as Bravada shows). Sure there are many more small cars (relatively speaking ) than in the US, but there are LOTS of vehicles that are significantly larger and heavier than the Ka and 500 and Matiz and Smart on the highways, flying by at 130-150 km/h. I feel dwarfed by just about everything in my car.

I think that the small size of European cars is over-exaggerated... again, there certainly IS the whole class of dinky cars that doesn't exist in the US, but a big percentage of the vehicles are more 'normal'-sized Astras and 407s and Meganes and Passats and the like.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
^ Paul, my car is same size as the Astra < that is Not 'normal' size here - yet
&
In europe people run into other tiny cars, not Suburbans.
think from their recent regulations, what they usually run into are... ...pedestrians (ba dum dump ;))

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
But until you have Hummer H2s, GM large Suvs and the Ford Expedition and Super Duty trucks riding up your a**, the semi's seem kind of tame because they cant drive around and cut you off. American highways are a scary place when people are driving their 6,000 lb SUVs the same way most drive their cars.

I know we have had these subcompact cars before, and the Smart fortwo seems to be holding its own, but tis just a matter of time before these seemingly safe little cars are crunched up against a highway barrier
as someone who HAS driven in both US and Europe - you are quite far off. Sure the cars are smaller, but the drivers are MUCH more demanding of right of way. So no it is not a suburban on your a** - it is a vectra, but it is comingat you at 100mph and has no intention to slow down before scraping your rear bumper ...

driving in much of Europe is an adrenaline sport - US huighways are agressive, and crowded, but not the extent EU highways are.

The small cars are always at a disadvantage - the Ka will never be a HWY cruiser to take on cross country trip - it is not intended to. It will oprobably buzz at 75-80mpg - however, for a stint at 65mph to a local mall? no problem. there are plenty of people who will rarely ever venture outside the urban highways system in US - and those peopel are going to be happy with the Ka.

Igor

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Where do you people come up with this s***?

Have you seen the NCAP results for small European cars? Do you realize that the average B-segment Eurohatch is safer than beasts like Trailblazers and Explorers?

Wanna know the overwhelming cause of death in accidents? Not wearing a seat belt. A belted-in driver of a Ford Ka is far more likely to walk away from the crash into that barrier than the unbelted driver of a Hummer will.

Read statistics on highway deaths. You're most likely to die in a fullsize truck than any other vehicle on the road.

And if big vehicles are so much safer, then why is the highway death rate in America exponentially worse than Europe's or Australia's?

Your 1950s perceptions of size=safety are unfounded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts