GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the SHO will come out of its hiatus
Being an avid Super High Output fan, any news of a Taurus SHO return gets my imagination going. Should it be FWD, AWD, or RWD? V8-powered or have a twin-turbo V6 underhood? Should it be light and handle well or compensate for its mass with awesome amounts of power? I ask these questions to myself, but last Monday a group of 11 Chicago area SHO fanatics were asked those same questions by members of the Taurus program from Ford.

continue at the link

·
Registered
264 Posts
Waste of time and effort...And Money

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well, they outclassed the Impala...not that hard. Whats embarassing is that the current Taurus isnt outclassing it.
I like the Impala, but it has a lot of pitfalls, and the Taurus does nothing to get people out of Impala and into a Taurus.
SHO will sell to SHO fans. Anyone else that wants a performance sedan will look elsewhere.
Here is an idea...have Shelby do it, charge another 20k on top of the Taurus, and be golden?
Ford doesnt have a focused performance brand. You have a Shelby Mustang, a ST Focus, and now a SHO Taurus? Doesnt work.
Time for SVT to come back. You knew what SVT was in the performance world.
SVT Mustang
SVT Focus
SVT Taurus
SVT F150
SVT Freestar
whatever, you know SVT was performance.

·
Registered
727 Posts
:drive:

That's all i have to say at the moment.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
What will compete against a Taurus SHO with ~350HP and AWD?
Not too much in the affordable family rocket sedan category.
Certainly not a FWD anything.
Then there is the gas mileage. Who wants a 400hP RWD sedan for their family and wife to drive that gets mpg's in the teens. I suspect very few. AWD kind of makes things easy for anyone to drive.

Ford is impressing me more every day.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But if been thinking will this SHO arrive with the current generation Taurus or with the new one that its coming for next year?

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
on the new one ..

the EB engine is not ready anyways ... and they would not be having this sort of a "conceptual" focus group if the car was coming next year ..

the new "Superman" Taurus will debut next year, and the SHO will come about a year after that.

Igor

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
So Ford might actually have a performance car other than the Mustang?

Ehh, I can buy a 362hp G8 right now.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
The fact that Ford even bothered to hold this Q&A session indicates that they are interested in the marketing potential of a new SHO model. I can't wait to see the end result if ford decides to make it.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
So Ford might actually have a performance car other than the Mustang?

Ehh, I can buy a 362hp G8 right now.
I would assume that this would not come out at least until the new skin is on the Taurus. With that exterior, AWD, and better mileage than G8 GT I would definately have to give it consideration.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I would assume that this would not come out at least until the new skin is on the Taurus. With that exterior, AWD, and better mileage than G8 GT I would definately have to give it consideration.
i have to agree with you on that. putting a SHO model on the current Taurus would be a bad move and the numerous blogs and magazines will have a field day ripping it to shreds due to its looks and weight. however I can see a SHO model on the new platform in a few years

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have to agree with you on that. putting a SHO model on the current Taurus would be a bad move and the numerous blogs and magazines will have a field day ripping it to shreds due to its looks and weight. however I can see a SHO model on the new platform in a few years
New platform or new Superman for next year:D so this means 2010 taurus coming in 2009 and SHO will come as a 2011 for 2010:lmao:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Well, they outclassed the Impala...not that hard. Whats embarassing is that the current Taurus isnt outclassing it.
I like the Impala, but it has a lot of pitfalls, and the Taurus does nothing to get people out of Impala and into a Taurus.
SHO will sell to SHO fans. Anyone else that wants a performance sedan will look elsewhere.
Here is an idea...have Shelby do it, charge another 20k on top of the Taurus, and be golden?
Ford doesnt have a focused performance brand. You have a Shelby Mustang, a ST Focus, and now a SHO Taurus? Doesnt work.
Time for SVT to come back. You knew what SVT was in the performance world.
SVT Mustang
SVT Focus
SVT Taurus
SVT F150
SVT Freestar
whatever, you know SVT was performance.
I agree...although I look forward to new Taurus SHO, I long for the days of the highly focused SVT line. The cars were all so well balanced and engineered, much more than everyday cars with big motors. Even at 113K I relish driving my SVT Contour, with its incredibly tactile shifter and clutch, perfect steering, amazing body control and a seeming complete lack of understeer- all in a FWD sedan.

·
Registered
303 Posts
:mad:
I agree...although I look forward to new Taurus SHO, I long for the days of the highly focused SVT line. The cars were all so well balanced and engineered, much more than everyday cars with big motors. Even at 113K I relish driving my SVT Contour, with its incredibly tactile shifter and clutch, perfect steering, amazing body control and a seeming complete lack of understeer- all in a FWD sedan.
I had a 318ti and a Contour SVT at the same time (wife's car was the ti, mine the SVT) and that 138 hp ti ate the Contour's lunch consistently. Don't get me wrong, I loved that motor, and if I could have made a Franken-car and crammed that 2.5 motor in the ti it would have been damn near perfect, the Contour SVT wasn't anywhere near the car the ti was/is in terms of driving dynamics, and they cost exactly the same at the time. Consequently, I still have the ti 11 years later and the SVT was gone after the lease was up (literally fell apart on me, sadly enough).

I miss that SVT motor, but I don't miss late 90's Ford QC. I'm so happy to see them make that their number 1 priority. And if they ever make an exciting sedan again, I'll be in line to get one for sure. And since I'm a family man now, that SHO would be perfect with a PowerShift tranny and AWD. :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
So a RWD Charger R/T hemi makes 340 HP in a V8
RWD G8 GT makes 361 HP in a V8
FWD or AWD Taurus of all cars in SHO EB form will make 350 HP in a V6-
I think we have our winner- of ford ever has the guts to produce it outta Chi town

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
So a RWD Charger R/T hemi makes 340 HP in a V8
RWD G8 GT makes 361 HP in a V8
FWD or AWD Taurus of all cars in SHO EB form will make 350 HP in a V6-
I think we have our winner- of ford ever has the guts to produce it outta Chi town
And the torque?
A smaller displacement engine making the same HP will generally need more RPM and have less low-end torque. Since torque is the determinate of acceleration, Ford will need lots of gears or much less weight, to out accelerate a 6-speed G8.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts