1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?por...t_code=00614939

No Futura in It: Ford again muffs plan to recycle heritage name

By AMY WILSON | Automotive News
DETROIT -- Futura won't be part of Ford's future.

It turns out that the Pep Boys chain of auto-parts stores owns the name. Ford Motor Co. doesn't want to pay Pep Boys, so now it is scrambling to rename one of its replacements for the Taurus.

"We just don't have a name as of yet," says Ford spokesman Jim Cain. "We're getting close."

Ford wanted to use the Futura name for a mid-sized sedan scheduled to go on sale in 2005. The new name must start with the letter "F," according to Ford Division's naming strategy.

It is the second time in two years that Ford has muffed plans to recycle a heritage name. In 2002, Ford changed the name of its GT40 sports car to GT after failing to reach an agreement with the owner of the GT40 trademark
man, maybe they will name it Faurus.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
How about

Fairmont!!!-Why not, Lincoln is bringing back the Zephyr.

or maybe

Falcon?

possibly

Fairlane?

But why stick to just the "F" names...lets call it

Torino!!!

How about....Volare...no wait...nevermind

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Wasn't there a Fairmont Futura in the late '70s? How did Pep Boys get the rights to the name?

And who owns the GT40 rights? It was Ford's car, no?

Ford must not do a very good job with protecting trademarks.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Falcon...ahh, that would be an insult to the Falcon you can find down under.
Fairlane 500... 500... already being used
Fairmont... possibly

how bout Finto?
Flamer?
or another Free name? Freecar,
Only thing that comes to mind is 400, and that is just a rip off of 500.

The name GT40 was never trademarked or anything by ford. A replica company got the rights to teh name, and when ford wanted to make a new one, the company said "6 million and its yours" and of couse Ford just went with GT.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I didn't like futura anyway. "Futura"sounds a tad more cheesy than nessesary. I think Fairmont is better suited. Fairlane is alright.... But now that I think about it, Im just not digging the "Fair" part. I Know! "Fabulosetura" This will make everybody happy!

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I hope that whatever they choose for a name remains in place so it can build equity. Of course, they could have stuck with Taurus [and made all this stupidity of finding a new name unnecessary] had they consistently polished what was a fine automobile in the 1980's... you know, when cars like Corvette, Camry, and Accord [cars that have been consistently invested in) were around, like they are today. No need of name changes there.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Apr 6 2004, 11:54 AM
I hope that whatever they choose for a name remains in place so it can build equity. Of course, they could have stuck with Taurus [and made all this stupidity of finding a new name unnecessary] had they consistently polished what was a fine automobile in the 1980's... you know, when cars like Corvette, Camry, and Accord [cars that have been consistently invested in) were around, like they are today. No need of name changes there.
Don't get me started about my folks former '93 Taurus... but, you're right, in the '80s it was a good car, and had they stuck with it, they wouldn't be having this problem.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 6 2004, 03:27 PM

The name GT40 was never trademarked or anything by ford. A replica company got the rights to teh name, and when ford wanted to make a new one, the company said "6 million and its yours" and of couse Ford just went with GT.
I'm not an intellectual-property lawyer, but when the replica company tried to trademark "GT40", Ford could have intervened due to prior use. So I'd guess that, at the time, Ford had no interest in it. Hard to believe, though. GT is not an ideal name, because people know the performance Mustang by GT. But Ford wants to bring back the GT350, GT500 names. So perhaps Ford didn't want GT40 all that badly, because GT40 next to a lowly GT350 might get confusing... for many of the yuppies who buy the cars but know nothing about their heritage.

Kind of amazing, though, that a copycat company owns the name...and not the company that did the original one. And now this copycat company prevents the new version of the car from sharing the heritage. Shows how crazy trademarking can be, and who it's really protecting sometimes.

But Futura belonged to Ford, so how that name got away is perplexing. Companies hold onto trademarks, even of duds like Vega or Chevette. What is Pep Boys even marketing with that name?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Apr 6 2004, 10:23 AM
Fairmont!!!-Why not, Lincoln is bringing back the Zephyr.

or maybe

Falcon?
Ford uses the Falcon name in Australia, except it's a real car (V8 RWD)

Wasn't the Zephyr the Mercury version of the Fairmont?

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Yes...Zephyr was the Fairmont in drag Mercury version. Zephyr was 1st used by Lincoln in the 1930's though.

How about.....Granada!

The 4 cylinder model can be called the Ford Fartbox...

How about Ford ***aina? ;)

I do like Fairlane though...It would fit in the line up, orginaly Fairlane was the top of the line full-size model through 1958, like Bel-Air was for Chevrolet, then Fairlane was replace by Galaxie in 1959. The Fairlane returned in 1962(?) as Fords new mid-size car, above the Falcon but under the full-size Ford. It was in the line up through 1970 I believe, then it was replaced by the Torino, which was originaly introduced as a high-end version of the Fairlane in 1968.

I hope that they didn't lose the rights to Fairlane too....It's the name of Henry Fords estate in Michigan.

It would be funny to see the Malibu and Fairlane fighting it out in the mid-size market again just like 40 years ago... :lol:

Everything old....is new again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think that they should go with fairlane over falcon. Not because I wouldn't like to see a new falcon, but because Ford already has a falcon, which should be imported over here. bring us the rear wheel drive v8 falcon, and leave the taurus replacement with the fairlane. The falcon is supposed to be a small midsize car, anyways, and not a large midsize car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts