GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2014/12/11/ford-performance-vehicles-division/20261041/

Ford will introduce 12 new performance vehicles through 2020 under the umbrella of a single global Ford Performance unit announced today designed to improve profits from this sector.

Raj Nair, the automaker's head of global product development, said Ford Performance pulls together the SVT performance team from the U.S., Team RS in Europe and Ford Racing.
Confirmed:
1) Fiesta ST
2) Focus ST
3) Mustang GT350
4) Focus RS

Rumored:
5) Raptor
6) Fusion ST
7) Mustang GT500
8) GT
9) Taurus SHO
10) ???
11) ???
12) ???

Reactions: TheNewStandard

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
So really it's 4 performance Cars by 2020.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
I would imagine that this more or less confirms or at least lends credence to the existence of a new GT.

Personally, if I were to create a brand new performance division, I would want a single halo car to embody all of my division's values.

It will have an "agile, skunkworks-type spirit," Nair said.
GM would be very wise to emulate this.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think the GT350 will run with a z/28, but I do believe the GT350R is supposed to.
Agreed... GT350 needs a somewhat wider appeal, and leaving the track work to be done by a GT350R, which makes sense.

10) Fusion SHO?
11) F150 Tremor/lighting
12) Mustang GT350R
I think a Fusion ST is as far as they'd go... having a truly crazy performance model on that plaform would be better served as a Lincoln.

New Lighting is a possibility. The new aluminum F-150 is a good starting point... regular car, short bed, plus the GT500's engine.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Agreed... GT350 needs a somewhat wider appeal, and leaving the track work to be done by a GT350R, which makes sense.

I think a Fusion ST is as far as they'd go... having a truly crazy performance model on that plaform would be better served as a Lincoln.

New Lighting is a possibility. The new aluminum F-150 is a good starting point... regular car, short bed, plus the GT500's engine.

Yes... are they counting Lincolns?

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes... are they counting Lincolns?
I don't think so... that would be sloppy branding and messaging.

You can wager that a Lincoln performance line would have independent branding and messaging, even if Ford Performance is doing the work.

On this topic, I'm interested to see what Lincoln brings to the table, as far as performance goes. I'm envisioning an approach not unlike AMG in the late 90's and early 2000's... smooth, silent, and powerful, with subtle visual upgrades. Won't outcorner a Miata, but also won't shake your fillings out.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Very gratifying to learn of this. The reemergence of the American automakers is exciting. I hope they can pull back some of what they lost in market share over the last three decades. This approach is a necessity in my mind and I have preached it, as performance is the quickest, surest way of gaining attention and pushing the engineering talent within a company. Next...and just as importantly...they need to make quality job one. Pushing the bounds of design and engineering alone is not enough to stay ahead. A high emphasis on quality and customer service will gain them the retention numbers needed for viability in an uncertain future.

Now, I wonder what GM has up its sleeve to answer the challenge presented by a new Ford GT. Is there something to the Zora rumors? Let's hope so!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I don't think a Fusion ST is out of the question with the 2.3EB closer to Mustang tune and sportier handling. I think that could do well while leaving plenty of room for a 2.9EB performance version of the MKZ that would easily better the ST in all ways!!

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
And why would GM be "very wise" to change what they're doing? As I said, their performance portfolio speaks to the way they're developing products, what would you hope to achieve?
I would imagine a "skunk-works" would dare to do something the BEAN counters would NOT "allow" like say a 250 BHP 2.0T Cruze RS
but I would LOVE to see GM work with HSV and create a "CSV" brand taken GLOBALLY / to North America

personally I think a FUSION SHO and a LINCOLN would and SHOULD be totally different animals
the Fiesta/Focus ST / RS models are NOT LUX in ANY way and are "RAW" and brutal in-a-hot-hatch way and the Fusion RS/SHO/SVT would be like that but bigger

if they really wanted to swing from left field how about a lowered and turboed ESCAPE RS thinking JUKE Nismo and Xtrail GT

even farther from "HOME" plate the rumoured Bronco could be considered performance OFF ROAD

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I would imagine that this more or less confirms or at least lends credence to the existence of a new GT.

Personally, if I were to create a brand new performance division, I would want a single halo car to embody all of my division's values.
A new Ford GT is much more than that. Ford's GT cars are the best of the best, they represent the absolute best that Ford Motor Company can do. There's a reason why every car company in earth( specially Ferrari) goes into panic mode when the rumors of a new GT is coming. They are the best of the best and when Ford decides to make a new GT, they make a supercar without compromise. I hope they stick to that philosophy.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I don't think a Fusion ST is out of the question with the 2.3EB closer to Mustang tune and sportier handling. I think that could do well while leaving plenty of room for a 2.9EB performance version of the MKZ that would easily better the ST in all ways!!
A Fusion ST with the 2.7 Ecoboost and AWD would be sweeeettttt.

Reactions: sfbreh
1 - 20 of 46 Posts