1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(08:30 March 23, 2004)
SVT product revamp looms for Ford's Special Vehicle Team

By AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

John Coletti, director of Ford Motor Co.'s Special Vehicle Team, will launch the fastest Ford-badged vehicle ever this year, the 550-hp Ford GT sports car. Meanwhile, Ford is phasing out production of the SVT Mustang Cobra and Focus. The Mustang will return on the new model, probably in 2006. And there's a new version of the F-150 Lightning in the works. Coletti updated Automotive News Staff Reporter Richard Truett on SVT during the SAE World Congress in Detroit this month.

Will you be out of the sport-compact segment when the Focus SVT ends production?

Near-term, yes.

How can SVT cater to sport-compact fans without selling a complete, factory-made tuner car?

We are restructuring how we want to go into that. The sport-compact segment is more of a performance parts business. Rather than spending $20,000 to $25,000 on a new car, those kids - I'm talking those under 25 - their preference is to get a secondhand car for about $10,000, and load it down with their own componentry.

So then the SVT brand will mean factory-engineered performance parts only for the smaller Fords?

This is a market we are going to support. The exact way we are going to do it now is we've got to put good base products out there. For example, the new 2.3-liter PZEV Focus is an outstanding piece. It's a good building block.

Full Article Here

·
Registered
873 Posts
If I was a Ford fan I'd be worried and embarassed. It seems as though Ford (and what's left of Mercury) are cutting out virtually everything with any kind of interest, flair, or sporty appeal. It looks like generic, vanilla-flavoured sedans and SUVs are the direction Ford is taking. With the Cougar gone, the T-Bird slated for death, and the quirky Focus aging fast this leaves only the Mustang, Lightning, and unattainable GT to support any kind of performance image Ford may have.

What's left of Ford's product line is dull, boring and leaves buyers with very little selection. The only thing new is the Mustang and the odd-ball 500. And argue with me if you will, but the 500 is one ugly car that really brings nothing new or interesting to their line-up. Those boxy SUVs may sell well but they are also light-years behind the competition in terms of styling and performance.

This situation is, of course, different in Europe where Ford has a very solid, up-to-date, performance-oriented line-up of vehicle (including a new 270 hp Focus). It's sad, but it appears that Ford is abandoning the youth market in North America and handing that over to Mazda.

·
Registered
316 Posts
fords SUV line up is actually much more up to date than GM's. GM needs to get their *** in gear much worse than ford in the truck category. as for the focus, i understand ford's philosophy behind killing the SVT version. it makes sense that most people who buy them will want to modify them the way they want anyway rather than having to take it the way the factory does it. the only problem is that i would assume that there are quite a few people who would just like to have the extra power--people who don't plan on tuning and tweaking it into a ricer but just like the extra performance and sporty look.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
It seems as though Ford (and what's left of Mercury) are cutting out virtually everything with any kind of interest, flair, or sporty appeal. It looks like generic, vanilla-flavoured sedans and SUVs are the direction Ford is taking.
funny you should say that, as GM isn't a whole lot better. sure, you have all these cars coming out, badged as "SS", but most of those are still not all that exciting. a Monte Carlo SS? what a joke. the Cobalt? not a viable competitor for the Civic Si or Nissan Sentra SE-R. Coletti is right, the sport compact rage is all about taking a good building block of a car, and making it even better, not buying an already tarted up factory car. there are some exceptions, such as the Subie STi, or the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII, but most of the sport compacts you see on the road are individual expressions of the young people who build them, not a factory built, mildly tuned car that someone can buy off the showroom. that kind of car isn't really what hot rodding is all about, and face it, sport compacts are the hot rods of today.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Jay@Mar 23 2004, 11:55 AM
If I was a Ford fan I'd be worried and embarassed.  It seems as though Ford (and what's left of Mercury) are cutting out virtually everything with any kind of interest, flair, or sporty appeal.  It looks like generic, vanilla-flavoured sedans and SUVs are the direction Ford is taking.
Indeed. I plan to post a rant on this soon. Ford's styling is great on the interior, but the exteriors are designed to be boring, with the exception of the new Mustang and GT, that is.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by bgclarke@Mar 23 2004, 12:10 PM
There is always the Saleen Focus.

Saw one at the Ottawa Auto Show this past weekend.
Yeah, I was there too. It's a little expensive for most people though.

The SUVs are more up-to-date from a design standpoint, but in terms of styling they have nothing on GM, Dodge, or even Nissan or Toyota.

The point of an SVT Focus is to show that Ford is interested in drawing in youth, whether or not most would prefer to modify their own cars. With the upcoming Cobalt, the Focus is doomed to a life of emabrassment.

Oh well, could be worse, they could be selling Neons. Even with the SRT-4, the Neon is still a goofy-looking car...and not at all attractive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, with the update that Ford has given the Focus on the inside and outside, it may very well be the Cobalt's main competition. Ford gave the Focus an option for Xenon Headlights, upgraded interior, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the Mazda 3 is on what should have been the new Focus' platform (it is in Europe). They opted for a "refresh" instead of a redesign like Toyohonda do every 4 years or so.

Would be interesting to put the Mazda 3 toe to toe with the refreshed Focus, to see which is the better buy.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Mar 23 2004, 05:17 PM
the Cobalt? not a viable competitor for the Civic Si or Nissan Sentra SE-R.
How on earth do you know this when there's not a single production car yet or any sort of test on the Cobalt yet? The specs certainly look competitive.

So far all you can really judge is the looks, and if that's all that matters to you, then I guess you can go ahead and write it off.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ford's car pipeline includes the new Futura which is rumored to have an SVT variant. As for the Focus, the current PZEV 2.3 has more torque then the SVT and only slightly less HP making the SVT virtually useless and the PZEV a better and more affordable start for upgrades. The whole upgrded Focus does confuse me but I suppose it will save money although it seems like the same stupid move that Ford & GM took for their minivans.

p.s. look for a Mazdaspeed Mazda3 to be relased in the near future. IMO this is one of the most attractive compacts, much better then the supid Civic SIR

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by frenstall@Mar 23 2004, 03:08 PM
Ford's car pipeline includes the new Futura which is rumored to have an SVT variant. As for the Focus, the current PZEV 2.3 has more torque then the SVT and only slightly less HP making the SVT virtually useless and the PZEV a better and more affordable start for upgrades. The whole upgrded Focus does confuse me but I suppose it will save money although it seems like the same stupid move that Ford & GM took for their minivans.

p.s. look for a Mazdaspeed Mazda3 to be relased in the near future. IMO this is one of the most attractive compacts, much better then the supid Civic SIR
What is the Futura? I hope it looks better than the 500.

The point of the SVT Focus is to get people (i.e. "young" people) to take notice of the entire Focus line and talk about its potential. Whether or not they sell a lot of SVT Focuses is irrelevant. It gets people interested in the entire line and gets them into Ford showrooms.

GM IS doing a lot better than Ford. Chevrolet has the SS line-up, which includes 240 hp Impala, 345 hp Silverado, and soon a 200+ hp Cobalt. They have already confirmed that they will up the ante over the next several years. And don't forget the new Corvette.

Pontiac has the GTO, a V8 powered sport sedan, and soon a roadster.

Buick is launching some gorgeous new cars (i.e. Velite).

And Cadillac has the V-series. 'Nough said.

Point: GM is the fastest-improving car company in the world.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
GM IS doing a lot better than Ford. Chevrolet has the SS line-up, which includes 240 hp Impala, 345 hp Silverado, and soon a 200+ hp Cobalt. They have already confirmed that they will up the ante over the next several years. And don't forget the new Corvette.

Pontiac has the GTO, a V8 powered sport sedan, and soon a roadster.

Buick is launching some gorgeous new cars (i.e. Velite).

And Cadillac has the V-series. 'Nough said.

Point: GM is the fastest-improving car company in the world.

well, let's see here...

Ford has the 2005 Mustang, and the Cobra soon to follow.... GTO eaters indeed.

Ford FiveHundred, a much nicer looking car than the goofy Impala inside and out, 6 speed automatic, and optional AWD... most people who are in the demographic to buy such a car would rather have these things than 240 hp... besides, the FiveHundred will probably be close to that. i'm feverishly searching for numbers.

Silverado SS??? i'll just say 500hp Lightning and leave it at that.

the Focus is STILL one of the best handling compacts on the market, and with its interior and exterior touch-ups, it will gain new life.

upcoming products include: Cross-Trainer, GT, extended version of the Expedition, plus many promising concepts on the show circuit.

and to top it all off, THE F-SERIES IS STILL THE BEST SELLING VEHICLE IN THE WORLD, not to mention the only full-size to receive a 5 star crash rating.

Ford's sales are slumping, boys, but Ford is far from dead. the new products are coming. so are the sales!

please don't make me bring up Ford's PAG. GM can NOT touch that.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Said it exactly right, SUPERBAD. I have been trying to tell GM-fans that a lot. Yeah, you might be a GM fan, but you need to realize bad from good...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
SUPERBAD, you read my mind!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by 3eb@Mar 23 2004, 12:09 PM
fords SUV line up is actually much more up to date than GM's.
HUH???

Oh yah me too, you said exactly what I was thinking.... Not!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
QUOTE (3eb @ Mar 23 2004, 12:09 PM)
fords SUV line up is actually much more up to date than GM's. 

HUH???

Oh yah me too, you said exactly what I was thinking.... Not!

what? what are you trying to say? give me something to work with here!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Mar 23 2004, 10:25 PM
well, let's see here...

Ford has the 2005 Mustang, and the Cobra soon to follow.... GTO eaters indeed.

Ford FiveHundred, a much nicer looking car than the goofy Impala inside and out, 6 speed automatic, and optional AWD... most people who are in the demographic to buy such a car would rather have these things than 240 hp... besides, the FiveHundred will probably be close to that. i'm feverishly searching for numbers.

Silverado SS??? i'll just say 500hp Lightning and leave it at that.

the Focus is STILL one of the best handling compacts on the market, and with its interior and exterior touch-ups, it will gain new life.

upcoming products include: Cross-Trainer, GT, extended version of the Expedition, plus many promising concepts on the show circuit.

and to top it all off, THE F-SERIES IS STILL THE BEST SELLING VEHICLE IN THE WORLD, not to mention the only full-size to receive a 5 star crash rating.

Ford's sales are slumping, boys, but Ford is far from dead. the new products are coming. so are the sales!

please don't make me bring up Ford's PAG. GM can NOT touch that.
hmm... please, lets look shall we?
We have a ford mustang that uses a dead end retro design with a (again) weak powertrain. The Cobra doesnt exist as of right now, so the only mustang that is out is 25hp less then the last fbody that was made three years ago using "new technolgoy" OHC engine. :rolleyes: yeah, real bad ***...

Then you have the 500 which is notch above the taurus in the boring meter. The 500s 200hp is the top engine for the taurus. Nothing that is going to revolutionize the mid sized car class. Still behind the Camry, Accord, and yes the Impalla. The Impalla is eatting up Taurus market share more and more every day. With the updated Impy coming next year, the 500 better be set to be rocked.

Untill the L comes out with 500hp, you have zero room to talk. SS Silvarado is a truck for the everyday man, and has a better interior then the L does. Not to mention AWD and a truck that can actualy...get this... TOW STUFF!!

The Focus is STILL the biggest POS ford has made. The Cobalt easily outclasses the Focus in quality, and engine power.

And what eles from ford? What? Another failure of a Lincoln truck? What? The rest is all "concepts" that have no chassis nor basis for production. The only car out of all the concepts ford produced that might hit the show room is the Bronco, and it wont look anything like the concept. It will be some FWD, 4cyl CRV fighter... yeah, thats cool.

I think Chevy alone has more product coming then any Ford Divisions, possibly combined, so lets not even compare what all of GM is putting out in the next 2 years. Please, Ford keeps bleeding sales while GM is keeping a float. GM has over two dozen new or updated cars coming to dealers. But ford is gunna make a 500hp supercar!! That should save them!! Also, a 500hp Mustang and L! Yeah, thats a sure fire way to get market share!! Making high performance cars that the average man cant afford!! GOOD IDEA!!

Please call back when Ford actualy has some product to put out.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
We have a ford mustang that uses a dead end retro design with a (again) weak powertrain. The Cobra doesnt exist as of right now, so the only mustang that is out is 25hp less then the last fbody that was made three years ago using "new technolgoy" OHC engine.  yeah, real bad ***...

Then you have the 500 which is notch above the taurus in the boring meter. The 500s 200hp is the top engine for the taurus. Nothing that is going to revolutionize the mid sized car class. Still behind the Camry, Accord, and yes the Impalla. The Impalla is eatting up Taurus market share more and more every day. With the updated Impy coming next year, the 500 better be set to be rocked.

Untill the L comes out with 500hp, you have zero room to talk. SS Silvarado is a truck for the everyday man, and has a better interior then the L does. Not to mention AWD and a truck that can actualy...get this... TOW STUFF!!

The Focus is STILL the biggest POS ford has made. The Cobalt easily outclasses the Focus in quality, and engine power.

And what eles from ford? What? Another failure of a Lincoln truck? What? The rest is all "concepts" that have no chassis nor basis for production. The only car out of all the concepts ford produced that might hit the show room is the Bronco, and it wont look anything like the concept. It will be some FWD, 4cyl CRV fighter... yeah, thats cool.

I think Chevy alone has more product coming then any Ford Divisions, possibly combined, so lets not even compare what all of GM is putting out in the next 2 years. Please, Ford keeps bleeding sales while GM is keeping a float. GM has over two dozen new or updated cars coming to dealers. But ford is gunna make a 500hp supercar!! That should save them!! Also, a 500hp Mustang and L! Yeah, thats a sure fire way to get market share!! Making high performance cars that the average man cant afford!! GOOD IDEA!!

wow, you GM people have been so starved for new product that the Aveo and an all new Cavalier (Cobalt, call it what you want, it's a Cavalier) get your blood boiling. but let's put it this way....

the "dead end retro design" of the new Mustang is getting rave reviews from all over, and the weak powertrain of the GT version has 300hp.... just 10 less than the top Camaro did... and the Cobra is coming, unlike the Camaro. Mustang outsold Camaro AND Firebird nearly 2 to 1... there are reasons for that.

the FiveHundred is an all new design, with euro styling, and an interior to put the ridiculous and WAY BORING Impala to shame. and talk about power all you want, the base Impala only has 180. 200 is an upgrade, and the 240hp SS version's base price is nearly 28k... if i want 240 horses that bad, i'm not looking for a family sedan.

the F-150 has been accepted by the auto media as the BEST full size out there (Motor Trend truck of the year), interior included, and it will be an everyday truck. it will tow 5000lbs and has an 800 lb payload. perhaps not as much as a standard truck, but there are some concesions to be made when you can blow the doors off a Corvette in a pickup.

Focus a POS, huh? funny that it has been among the Car and Driver magazine's 10Best cars for FIVE YEARS IN A ROW. stick that in your tail pipe and smoke it!

there are other cars coming to other Ford divisions, or ones that have recently hit... Mazda 6 and 3, a new Volvo S40 and V50, a new Land Rover Discovery soon, and more that i just don't care to go into now. it's about time for me to call it a night. just do this.... look at your precious GM products and tell me FOR REAL, not through those rose colored glasses, what the General makes that is worth being really proud of. i can count what i see worthwhile on one hand. Ford is doing very well from a product standpoint.

oh, and here's a nice one, from right here on this website....

I work at the GM plant in Shrveport where the Colorado/Canyon are built. Good looking trucks but the quality sucks. 
nice.... really nice.... GM is so great!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Mar 23 2004, 09:25 PM
We have a ford mustang that uses a dead end retro design with a (again) weak powertrain. The Cobra doesnt exist as of right now, so the only mustang that is out is 25hp less then the last fbody that was made three years ago using "new technolgoy" OHC engine.  yeah, real bad ***...

wow, you GM people have been so starved for new product that the Aveo and an all new Cavalier (Cobalt, call it what you want, it's a Cavalier) get your blood boiling. but let's put it this way....

the "dead end retro design" of the new Mustang is getting rave reviews from all over, and the weak powertrain of the GT version has 300hp.... just 10 less than the top Camaro did... and the Cobra is coming, unlike the Camaro. Mustang outsold Camaro AND Firebird nearly 2 to 1... there are reasons for that.

the FiveHundred is an all new design, with euro styling, and an interior to put the ridiculous and WAY BORING Impala to shame. and talk about power all you want, the base Impala only has 180. 200 is an upgrade, and the 240hp SS version's base price is nearly 28k... if i want 240 horses that bad, i'm not looking for a family sedan.

the F-150 has been accepted by the auto media as the BEST full size out there (Motor Trend truck of the year), interior included, and it will be an everyday truck. it will tow 5000lbs and has an 800 lb payload. perhaps not as much as a standard truck, but there are some concesions to be made when you can blow the doors off a Corvette in a pickup.

Focus a POS, huh? funny that it has been among the Car and Driver magazine's 10Best cars for FIVE YEARS IN A ROW. stick that in your tail pipe and smoke it!

there are other cars coming to other Ford divisions, or ones that have recently hit... Mazda 6 and 3, a new Volvo S40 and V50, a new Land Rover Discovery soon, and more that i just don't care to go into now. it's about time for me to call it a night. just do this.... look at your precious GM products and tell me FOR REAL, not through those rose colored glasses, what the General makes that is worth being really proud of. i can count what i see worthwhile on one hand. Ford is doing very well from a product standpoint.

oh, and here's a nice one, from right here on this website....

I work at the GM plant in Shrveport where the Colorado/Canyon are built. Good looking trucks but the quality sucks. 
nice.... really nice.... GM is so great!
You are pathetic, you came to a GM Fan Site just to get some attention or what? You should try Blue Oval News, there's a lot of Ford people around there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts