GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The rumors of a unibody compact Ford pickup turned out to be true (The upcoming Maverick).
This could definitely be the rumored Fusion/Mondeo crossover replacement, besides, I read that the next gen Edge has been cancelled.

Between the Edge and the Fusion/Mondeo crossover, the latter seems more interesting.
Agree with that, the latter is what I'm primed to see happen.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Ford Mundaneo SSSssssss

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not coming to the US. Just sayin.
Is there official news on this? If that is true, big mistake for Ford. The Fusion has always outsold the Edge until Ford decided to stop production the sedan. I also heard that the Edge (at least in North America) won't have a next gen replacement.

The Mondeo/Fusion crossover would be the perfect replacement for both the Fusion sedan and Edge SUV.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The Margins on Edge are WAY more favorable than Fusion, sales really mean nothing when the car is unprofitable. Fusion was sold at bargain bin prices, Edge is not. People stopped paying premiums for sedans, that's a big reason they were no longer sustainable. Pretty soon that bargain bin pricing will hit the ICE crossovers which is why you'll see those also de-prioritized in favor of EVs or rugged lifestyle vehicles like Bronco and Jeep. (BTW, the later is GM's biggest blind spot).

Edge is to be replaced by an EV, as are all Ford and Lincoln crossovers this decade. Ford cancelled the "Fusion Active" years ago when they decided to develop "Maverick", but the Mondeo replacement is a crossover and will be in many global markets with several electrification options. The US will have a different set of EV crossovers as it has a very different lineup entirely.

Hybrids coming to everything else, not to mention EV F-150 and Transit.

Standby, lots of stuff coming, it'll make more sense eventually.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Edge is to be replaced by an EV, as are all Ford and Lincoln crossovers this decade.
Wouldn't an EV Edge replacement overlap with the Mach E?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Mach E is small, Edge is midsize.
True, the Mach E's interior volume is just slightly bigger than the mid-size Fusion.
The Mach E is basically a mid-size car sitting on a thick floor of batteries that lifts the passenger compartment up by probably 4-5 inches.

The biggest difference is that the Edge will be wider....
I wonder if the Edge EV would cost more than a Mach e considering it would be larger.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Ford does have a set of larger more premium EV crossovers on the way (most interpret this to mean midsize and Edge-like) that are slated to replace the Edge and Nautilus, although that wasn't the original plan. Ford is expanding their EV crossovers quite extensively through 2028 which is going to eliminate the need for so many overlapping ICE crossovers that originally had new models planned. The ICE Broncos/Trucks/Vans will lily stay longer with electrification options. I don't think Ford is replacing Edge directly with an EV because it's still going to be more expensive, but by 2028 they are going to have a broader selection of Crossover EVs that will cover more prices and customers. Again, Ford is just up-ending the weaker more commoditized section of their portfolio, this time for electrification.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
True, the Mach E's interior volume is just slightly bigger than the mid-size Fusion.
The Mach E is basically a mid-size car sitting on a thick floor of batteries that lifts the passenger compartment up by probably 4-5 inches.

I wonder if the Edge EV would cost more than a Mach e considering it would be larger.
I doubt it as I would expect the "performance" to be LOWER and market placement is bigger determiner of pricing over actual BOM costs and the EDGE is mainstream VS a Mach E that is a "electric sports coupe" - a premium product

·
Registered
178 Posts
I doubt it as I would expect the "performance" to be LOWER and market placement is bigger determiner of pricing over actual BOM costs and the EDGE is mainstream VS a Mach E that is a "electric sports coupe" - a premium product
I hope its performance levels aren't that much lower than the lower-end Mach Es.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts