GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/12/ford-fusion-mondeo-set-to-be-reborn-as-a-crossover-inspired-wagon/ https://fordauthority.com/2020/12/next-gen-ford-mondeo-fusion-crossover-leaked-online/
Production of the Ford Fusion sedan ended back in July at the Ford Hermosillo Assembly Plant in Mexico after Ford Authority was the first to report that the model was set to be discontinued this past summer. The Fusion was the last Ford sedan on sale in the U.S., so this marked the end of an era. However, as we reported last year, a Ford Fusion crossover, or Mondeo as it’s known in other markets, is on the way, and now some photos of this new model have leaked online via Instagram.
The new Fusion crossover will be built in China, the U.S., and Europe, making it a truly global vehicle. In a way, it features many of the same qualities that the current Ford Edge does, which makes that model seem a bit redundant. Perhaps uncoincidentally, we reported back in June that the Edge would be discontinued after the 2022 model year, and Unifor’s new labor agreement includes building a series of EVs at the Ford Oakville Assembly Plant, where the Edge is currently produced
This is certainly an interesting surprise. I'm liking what I see too.

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
I can't tell much, but looks like they are getting away from the "slap a giant tablet onto the dash" look!

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I can't tell much, but looks like they are getting away from the "slap a giant tablet onto the dash" look!
Looks like a 10" x 36" tablet to me.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Doesn't look like a big rectangle stuck to the dash with chewing gum to me.
I doesn't look like it is held on with chewing gum to me either, but you better look again, maybe it's because it goes from one end to the dash to the other and it includes the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
This is most likely one of the Joint Venture EVs for Ford of China, not a Mondeo/Fusion Active. Fusion Active was cancelled btw, and the Mondeo is not an EV.

It's obvious the design and hardware did not come out of Europe or Dearborn and is consistent with the design language of Chinese Fords.

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,163 Posts
Looks to be about the size/shape of an Outback?? If so, it'll do well around here, there's loads of them around. There's people who don't want a "real" SUV/crossover but want higher ride height than a regular sedan/hatch.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Looks to be about the size/shape of an Outback?? If so, it'll do well around here, there's loads of them around. There's people who don't want a "real" SUV/crossover but want higher ride height than a regular sedan/hatch.
It has blocks on the back window, real slopped in the back, (hatch) "looks like" a larger/longer (wheelbase) Mach E.

(I said "looks like") ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm guessing this is about the same size as the Euro Mondeo 5-door fastback/hatch (which has a slightly shorter rear overhang than the Fusion sedan) but with raised suspension and larger diameter tires.

This crossover is definitely more of a traditional car than an SUV just like the current Focus Active sold in Europe, Australia, China etc.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,163 Posts
It has blocks on the back window, real slopped in the back, (hatch) "looks like" a larger/longer (wheelbase) Mach E.

(I said "looks like") ;)
I'm guessing this is about the same size as the Euro Mondeo 5-door fastback/hatch (which has a slightly shorter rear overhang than the Fusion sedan) but with raised suspension and larger diameter tires.

This crossover is definitely more of a traditional car than an SUV just like the current Focus Active sold in Europe, Australia, China etc.
Got it, not really an Outback competitor. Hey that Active looks pretty good.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Please God do not slather the sides in gray plastic to make it look rugged.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
This is likely not what people think it is. This could be the global Mondeo or a Chinese-specific model, but the US is NOT getting a new Fusion or vehicle like it.

Ford's WORLD HQ is in Dearborn, the presence of global prototypes in Dearborn is not at all an indication that it's coming to the US.

Although Ford Authority is often the spreader of mis-information, at least they are walking it back. I'm definitely not convinced by their explanation that this is riding on a B-Segment architecture. If I had to bet, I think it's a C2-based Mondeo for China and Europe. The original photo shows a version of this vehicle that appears to be an EV photographed in China with a Chinese-spec dashboard, while the version spied here looks like an ICE. Doesn't make sense, but China is a mysterious alternate universe playing ground full of surprises.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/i...usion-active-or-something-entirely-different/

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is not what people think it is. This could be the global Mondeo or a Chinese-specific model, but the US is NOT getting a new Fusion or vehicle like it.

Ford's WORLD HQ is in Dearborn, the presence of global prototypes in Dearborn is not at all an indication that it's coming to the US.

Although Ford Authority is often the spreader of mis-information, at least they are walking it back now, even if they are still getting it wrong.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/i...usion-active-or-something-entirely-different/
Well it seems to me we have seen various GM products from other markets being tested here and Lo and Behold, they have come here as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well it seems to me we have seen various GM products from other markets being tested here and Lo and Behold, they have come here as well.
The rumors of a unibody compact Ford pickup turned out to be true (The upcoming Maverick).
This could definitely be the rumored Fusion/Mondeo crossover replacement, besides, I read that the next gen Edge has been cancelled.

Between the Edge and the Fusion/Mondeo crossover, the latter seems more interesting.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts