GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Mach E was originally called "E-Max" btw, when it looked like a Prius.
I used the term e C-Max to underscore It’s roots as a crossover not another Focus EV as claimed in the article posted by Oldsmobile stopped - I knew he would post it again…..

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
The bottom line was that Ford was never going to use the Focus name on the E-Max.
The quote from the article you posted:
That change in direction included scrapping the compliance EV, which was initially a redesigned Focus sedan EV that had been turned into a crossover,
The Focus EV was developed as a retrofit of electric equipment into the regular C1 based ICE Focus rolling body (glider). By the mid twenty teens, Ford knew that even with increasing range to 200 miles/+300 km, the Focus EV was never going to sell in numbers to justify its place.

Focus EV to E-Max
Knowing Mark Fields desire to not spend money and keep as much of the cost under C1 The thought that the E-Max would be just a continuation of the electrified C1/C2 based Focus EV with a more crossover body is most likely the case as it was still a FWD vehicle, also why Farley and Hackett saw it as a vehicle going nowhere. In short order, they cancelled the Focus EV and C-Max ICE, hybrid and PHEV.

Enter Farley and Hackett
The GE platform Electrification changes went further than electrics under C1 with more changes to the floor pan, drive cradle and suspension modules. The E-Max was intended as an electric version of a crossover that combined the better styling elements from the Focus and the C-Max but as we saw, the design was far from inspiring and still FWD like GM was doing. From there we know how the genesis of Mach E went, push out the front wheels to give RWD proportions did wonders for the styling

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
This thread about the crap Ford Focus getting discontinued glad you now agree with what l said originally in the first paragraph for the the first time here, now you are getting somewhere, you really are stubborn hard work.

Great to see you get it JDP
Ford Mustang Mach-E Was Almost A Boring, Front-Drive 'Compliance Car'

Yes l already knew all about Fords new/old platforms you and the other Herbert are starting to lecture posting new Ford platforms.
Context old boy,
E-Max was never going to be, Fields was dragging his feet because he knew the changes weren’t enough, that’s why he had the project on hold and why Bill Ford sacked him for not proceeding.
The whole thing was financially underwater as was the case of the then current C1 Focus EV, no wonder Farley and Hackett cancelled it in 2018 and then the next Gen C-Max for 2019 and with it the E-Max.

The longer wheelbase of the E-Max but with a swooping body and low nose in the profile you posted. Fields wasn‘t convinced because the thing had to be built as a hybrid as well as a BEV, too many compromises…..

Two new FORD crossovers coming in the future are both siting on

VOLKSWAGEN MEB PLATFORM

Know the undercoring JDP the Baldrick of GMI cunning plans would pan out on platforms the underscoring VW Buzz platform to used for what will be Ford's next new large crossover replacement in the future.
LOL OK Blackadder,
VW is quitting MEB, so that means they’re admitting that it’s either too costly or takes too long to build or both. Ford is now stuck with two MEBs in Europe like it or not but the quiet word from North America is that Ford is stepping away from building MEBs in Canada or at least reviewing the costs. Don’t know why if they already have two vehicles that have been developed in Europe but yeah, Ford now building GE2 Explorer and Aviator at Oakville Canada wher the MEBs we’re going! So you tell me Blackadder…..

So using Borg's analogy/platform posting VW Bulli know how will be used for the next generation another large crossover C Max? but won't called a C Max probably be a VW Mustang Max LOL.
If the vehicle was as large as you think, it would be on Ford’s GE2, its not so the Mid Sized Utility in Euro speak is probably Escape/Kuga and the other vehicle is probably a replacement for the Focus Active but maybe not that name…
QUOTE jpd80, post: No 9
I used the term e C-Max to underscore It’s roots as a crossover not another Focus EV as claimed in the article posted by Oldsmobile stopped - I knew he would post it again…..

Ford next large cross platform underscores VW roots the next VW C Max to use your JDP cunning plans phrases LOL

What your next cunning plan JDP Baldrick?
I have no plan, just observation of past Ford plans, we were telling you guys long before the 2019 article you posted, stuff was leaking out in late 2017….

There is no VW based Ford C-Max, more like Kuga SUV and Focus EV crossover but are those the best vehicles for Ford Europe to pursue?
Considering how well Mustang Mach E is selling in Europe, maybe a ”Kuga” compact utility and a companion “Fusion Active“ crossover are still very worthwhile vehicles to sell into a hungry for EV Europe…. I’ll cede to your observations on thatin Eu, at least in the UK…
Yes, Ford Europe also have EV Transit and Transit Connect (VW) and EV Puma so plenty of interesting vehicles coming….

I honestly think Ford is about to change plans again for North America, can you believe that…….the reason is I don’t think they can make the price of a true compact work, maybe keep the hybrid C2 selling for now until things like battery prices come back to normal…

The biggest wild card in all of this is steeping costs of BEV components like batteries and with a recession on the way, everything could slow down or even contract for a while…….

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Wait, what? I just told you a "fun fact", there is no opinion in it.
Yes, Grand C-Max with 109” wheelbase was the starting point for the E-Max.

Thank goodness Ford stopped E-Max in its tracks and made major changes,
even saying that doesn’t do justice to the transformation that Ford executed.
Simply breathtaking

T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts