GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Blue Oval is interested in selling the Saarlouis plant where the compact model is built.

On April 4, Ford assembled the last Mondeo at its plant in Valencia after five generations and three decades of continuous production. It didn't take too long until reports began to cast doubts on the Focus' future, with Automotive News Europe's sister magazine Automobilwoche saying production would be greatly reduced after August 29. Why? Well, you can blame your neighbors for buying all those crossovers to the detriment of traditional cars.

As it turns out, it's much worse than that for the Volkswagen Golf rival as the compact model will be discontinued altogether in 2025. It effectively means the facelifted Mk4 is the last of the breed as there aren't any plans about a potential revival of the once hugely popular moniker in the EV era. As a side note – the Focus was offered as an electric hatchback during the Mk3 era.
In an interview today with journalists, Ford of Europe's head honcho Stuart Rowley confirmed the planned demise of the Focus. It looks as though the future of the Saarlouis plant in Germany is uncertain as the Blue Oval admits it has not found a solution to keep the factory up and running following the car's termination in roughly three years' time:

"We're seeking other alternative opportunities for vehicle production at Saarlouis, including [selling to] other manufacturers. We don't have in our planning cycle an additional model that goes into Saarlouis."

Mind you, both the Mondeo and Focus are also built in China for the local market. As a matter of fact, the midsize model recently transitioned to a new generation, which means it's going to be available for a long time in the People’s Republic. The smaller car went through a nip and tuck, thus also suggesting it's sticking around.
In the meantime, the global Focus has been hit hard by the supply shortages, causing wait times to surpass 12 months. One of the main problems stems from the SYNC4 infotainment system made in war-torn Ukraine, thus causing massive delays.
Stuart Rowley admitted there will be "significant" job cuts at the Saarlouis where Ford employs 4,600 people.

"The reality of the industry is that the production of EVs will require fewer people."
LINK

German labour costs are some of the most expensive in the world, so can only see this has a very smart move by Ford.

Fiesta & Focus sales have totally plummeted in European Union after they introduced draconian ICE C02 based fines on European car makers for offering cars fitted with an internal combustion engine, covid and chip shortages have all added to Ford of Europe woes they have shrunk in size massively as a company as it moves it cars onto EV platforms.

Focus lives on in the Mustang Mach E that was originally going to be the next generation Focus EV design, it got changed mid-design as Ford could not justify £67,000 ($82,000) asking price for an entry model Focus EV that they are selling in the UK today, so they changed it during the concept stages to draw on the Mustang heritage to justify the expensive price. Can't see to many ex Focus buyers with $82,000 entry model price tag buying to many in the future.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Ford has long said that Focus and Fiesta were unprofitable, despite being their volume leaders.

By 2025, virtually everything we see on EU lots today will have been discontinued in favor of a smaller lineup of EVs and Commercial vehicles. Much of this is driven by regulatory pressures on-top of that old chestnut of ridding themselves of commodity loss leaders.

Going:
Mondeo, Focus, Fiesta, EcoSport, Kuga, S-Max, Galaxy

Staying:
Puma, Mach E, Ranger, Transit et.al

Unsure:
Mustang and Explorer

Coming by 2024:

Photograph Light Product Camera accessory Automotive lighting

The two EV crossovers are based on the VW JV, but built by Ford.

I'm not sure if Europe with get any of the North American GE2 stuff in 2025 like Explorer, but its possible. I'm also not clear if Europe will eventually use GE2 for their own vehicles instead of VW, but it seems unlikely at this point. The EV Transits and Puma are all developed by Ford of Europe, except for the E-Trasit which is a Dearborn development (based largely on Mach E parts). I believe all the Transit EVs are ICE/EV conversions, as is Puma. The EU needs higher volume lower cost EVs so this makes sense for them. The US EV market is much smaller with a slower adoption rate because of several factors (expensively large long range batteries, all-or-nothing EV architectures with low PHEV adoption, few regulatory pressures or incentives, poor charging infrastructure, cheaper fuel).

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The EV design you’re referring to is e C-Max which was heavily reworked to become Mach E.
CNBC

AUTOS
Here’s how the Ford Mustang Mach-E earned the iconic pony badge, after the company scrapped years of work on other designs
PUBLISHED SAT, NOV 23 20199:00 AM ESTUPDATED SAT, NOV 23 20199:01 AM EST

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

LOS ANGELES – Ford Motor took inspiration from the all-electric Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf and Ford Focus when developing the 2021 Mustang Mach-E, which made its global debut earlier this week.

Instead, the vehicles were examples of what not to do for Ford’s first all-new EV under an $11 billion plan to develop 40 new all-electric and hybrid models by 2022, according to officials. Ford viewed the cars as “compliance vehicles” that were produced to meet government regulations, not inspire passion for consumers to consider an EV.

“We gave them a mission: not just to make an electric car but to make a great electric car,” said Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford during the Mach-E’s unveiling Sunday. “But I got to admit, when they came to me and said they can make an electric Mustang, I was pretty skeptical … You don’t mess with an icon.”

The idea of a Mustang SUV would have been sacrilegious years ago, but the company eventually felt the vehicle was worthy of wearing the iconic pony badge.

“Winning will not be driven by compliance,” said Ted Cannis, Ford global director of electrification, during a media briefing. “If you’re just a compliance (EV), you’re going to get killed.”

Before the decision to make it a Mustang, Ford was benchmarking the vehicle as a “compliance” EV, according to company officials. But that changed after Ford CEO Jim Hackett took over the automaker in May 2017 and tapped Jim Farley as president of global markets, which included the company’s EV plans.

‘Mustang-inspired’
That change in direction included scrapping the compliance EV, which was initially a redesigned Focus sedan EV that had been turned into a crossover, according to officials and design renderings shared by the automaker. In June 2017, it was decided the vehicle would be “Mustang-inspired,” a direction put in motion by Farley.

“We thought if you want to modernize Ford, what’s a better product to start with than Mustang? We said, ‘Let’s try to create an electric Mustang,’ ” Farley said during the vehicle’s unveiling Sunday outside of Los Angeles.

That’s despite a flurry of new or redesigned EVs, many viewed as compliance models, entering the market.

Scrapping a project after years of development is always hard but connecting the vehicle to Mustang – the first time the iconic name has been used on anything but a two-door pony car – added a new layer of pressure, according to Ford executives.

“This thing had to be a hero,” said Jason Castriota, Ford brand director for battery-electric vehicles. “We didn’t want it to be eaten up.”

Prior to deciding to make the vehicle “Mustang-inspired,” Ford was working on a compliance EV crossover.

Scrapping a project after years of development is always hard but connecting the vehicle to Mustang – the first time the iconic name has been used on anything but a two-door pony car – added a new layer of pressure, according to Ford executives.

“This thing had to be a hero,” said Jason Castriota, Ford brand director for battery-electric vehicles. “We didn’t want it to be eaten up.”

Fans of the Mustang will claim that the Mach-E “dilutes the brand,” a tired phrase the vocal minority busts out every time an automaker does something it doesn’t like. Well, I’m here to tell purists and brand agnostics alike that no matter how you feel about the Mach-E, it’s a hell of a lot better than what Ford almost did.

During a heavily embargoed backgrounder in the bowels of Ford’s Product Development Center in Dearborn, Michigan, the leadership behind the Mach-E gave Motor1.com a look at what almost was.

The plan was always to do that with a crossover. We reported as much in early 2017, when efforts were already well underway to build a vehicle that could cover over 300 miles on a single charge. That car looked quite a bit different from the Mustang Mach-E.
For a start, it had a front-wheel-drive layout.

The hood was shorter and lower, and the overall design had more of a cab-forward look. The wheels were smaller, and the wheelbase and the all-important dash-to-axle ratio (think of it as the bit of the wheelbase ahead of the passenger compartment) were shorter. While Ford only showed me a small scale model of this car (and the sketch at the top of this story), its uninspiring shape and the fact that the team on hand continued to (almost derisively) refer to it as “the compliance car” made it clear this wasn’t a car that would excite consumers in a post-Tesla world.

Enter new CEO Jim Hackett, who two years ago told designers to start over. The new goal was to pen a vehicle that stripped away the “greenness” of the original design. The design team was told to play to Ford’s strengths, and aside from maybe the F-150, there’s no stronger Ford product, nor is there one with such an acclaimed history, as the Mustang.

That decision was also driven by research into how people view EVs. The public’s perception ranges from the hilarious (42 percent believe EVs require gasoline) to the realistic (over half are concerned about range) to the misguided (a staggering 92 percent of people believe EVs are “slow or toy-like”). Another compliance-like product wouldn’t move the needle on those beliefs – Ford needed something more.

With that brief, designers went back to the drawing board.

Is it a Mustang?
Once the direction of “Mustang-inspired” was set in motion, the team was given wide-ranging control of the product and set up operations away from Ford’s global headquarters in Dearborn, Mich. to a small building in a historic Detroit neighborhood.

The small team was codenamed Team Edison. The team worked quickly and was given months, sometimes weeks, instead of years during different parts of the vehicle’s creation.
As the team built the vehicle, it wasn’t just about making the vehicle look like a Mustang. The vehicle had to feel like one or Bill Ford, a Mustang enthusiast, would not sign off on it.

As the team built the vehicle, it wasn’t just about making the vehicle look like a Mustang. The vehicle had to feel like one or Bill Ford, a Mustang enthusiast, would not sign off on it. He said he gave the nod to call the vehicle a Mustang after driving it.

“When I drove it, I knew it had to be a Mustang,” Ford told reporters after the unveiling. “But frankly, I was getting there before because I believed the team when they were laying all the specs out.”

Top performance models of the Mustang Mach-E will achieve 0 to 60 mph in the mid-3-second range with an estimated 459 horsepower and 612 lb.-ft. of torque. That makes it faster off the line than a Porsche Macan Turbo and comparable to a Porsche 911 GTS. Other models are expected to have 0 to 60 mph times around six seconds.

Aside from its badging and performance, the Mach-E includes Mustang design aspects such as a long hood, rear haunch, aggressive headlights and trademark tri-bar taillamps. The grille of the vehicle also is cut out to resemble the pony car.

The vehicle, according to Ford, a known environmentalist, is a dream come true. He compared the importance of the Mach-E to his great-grandfather’s Model T, a vehicle that brought affordable transportation to the middle-class.

“This is a Mustang for a new generation, but I also think longtime mustang fans like me will love it as well,” Ford said. “What I’m most excited about is the lasting impact and what this means for the future of Ford Motor Co.”

LINK

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Ford has long said that Focus and Fiesta were unprofitable, despite being their volume leaders.

By 2025, virtually everything we see on EU lots today will have been discontinued in favor of a smaller lineup of EVs and Commercial vehicles. Much of this is driven by regulatory pressures on-top of that old chestnut of ridding themselves of commodity loss leaders.

Going:
Mondeo, Focus, Fiesta, EcoSport, Kuga, S-Max, Galaxy

Staying:
Puma, Mach E, Ranger, Transit et.al

Unsure:
Mustang and Explorer

Coming by 2024:

View attachment 66528

The two EV crossovers are based on the VW JV, but built by Ford.

I'm not sure if Europe with get any of the North American GE2 stuff in 2025 like Explorer, but its possible. I'm also not clear if Europe will eventually use GE2 for their own vehicles instead of VW, but it seems unlikely at this point. The EV Transits and Puma are all developed by Ford of Europe, except for the E-Trasit which is a Dearborn development (based largely on Mach E parts). I believe all the Transit EVs are ICE/EV conversions, as is Puma. The EU needs higher volume lower cost EVs so this makes sense for them. The US EV market is much smaller with a slower adoption rate because of several factors (expensively large long range batteries, all-or-nothing EV architectures with low PHEV adoption, few regulatory pressures or incentives, poor charging infrastructure, cheaper fuel).
So many not cars to choose from!..I'm so not excited.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Mach E was originally called "E-Max" btw, when it looked like a Prius.
LOL so using your stupid logic l suppose a Ford GT was based on a Cortina GT LOL

So the Mustang Mach E as turned into a Toyota Prius according to what you say Ford need to market that LOL wow the epitome of boredom, Ford slapped $1 pony best quality plastic badge and Mustang & rear light cluster call it a Mustang and charge the UK customers $82,000 for an entry model Ford Prius pony that was originally going to be a Ford Focus crossover hoping the British buyer won't notice Ford based it on Toyota Prius as you say LOL

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I used the term e C-Max to underscore It’s roots as a crossover not another Focus EV as claimed in the article posted by Oldsmobile stopped - I knew he would post it again…..
What not another a cunning plan JDP, everybody has crossovers the C Max was a pile of FWD boring crap nobody wanted in a market flooded out crossovers if it had been any good Ford would not have ended it in 2019 , Ford now underscores as you put it now with a Mustang sits RWD platform ? Ford were hoping to simply preserve the Focus nameplate this was never intended anything other than to next generation Ford Focus EV crossover, simply changed it mid design from a Focus to a Mustang because they could never get away with justify charging $82,000 for a Focus EV.

You need to read the headline JDP, its roots are more RWD Stang just wanted to underscore it LOL cunning plan

Don't want to underscore with headline
Ford Mustang Mach-E Was Almost A Boring, Front-Drive 'Compliance Car'

Phew Ford can now charge $82,000 now for RWD its not boring dull FWD compliance appliance car Focus EV nobody would have bought JDP LOL

Ford never used the Focus nameplate in the end on what was originally meant to be a Ford Focus EV because it was a total sales flop in Europe the FWD Focus EV struggled to sell a tiny fraction of Ferrari sale numbers, Ford obviously wanted the crossover shape to accommodate the batteries under the floor.

Ford ends Focus EV production in Europe

LONDON -- Ford Motor has ended European series production of the full-electric version of its Focus as it shifts its strategy for low emission vehicles to hybrid delivery vans.

Ford began production of the Focus Electric at its plant in Saarlouis, Germany, in 2013, alongside internal combustion engine versions of the compact model.

"Volumes are not strong enough. We will revisit when the market matures," Graham Hoare, Ford's head of global vehicle evaluation, told journalists on the sidelines of the Connected Car conference held by UK industry association SMMT earlier this month.

Ford sold just 61 Focus Electric models in Europe last year, down from 70 in 2015, according to market analysts JATO Dynamics.

LINK

Don't quote me JDP, quote Ted, Jason, Bill & Jim.

“Winning will not be driven by compliance,” said Ted Cannis, Ford global director of electrification, during a media briefing. “If you’re just a compliance (EV), you’re going to get killed.”

Executive Chairman Bill Ford during the Mach-E’s unveiling Sunday. “But I got to admit, when they came to me and said they can make an electric Mustang, I was pretty skeptical … You don’t mess with an icon.

That change in direction included scrapping the compliance EV, which was initially a redesigned Focus sedan EV that had been turned into a crossover, according to officials and design renderings shared by the automaker. In June 2017, it was decided the vehicle would be “Mustang-inspired,” a direction put in motion by Farley

Ford seem to be shifting a lot more RWD Mustang Mach EV's 23,000 last year in Europe rather than the FWD Ford Focus EV 61 to 70 sales a year in Europe JDP that nobody wanted in 2015 & 2016

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
The bottom line was that Ford was never going to use the Focus name on the E-Max.
The quote from the article you posted:
That change in direction included scrapping the compliance EV, which was initially a redesigned Focus sedan EV that had been turned into a crossover,
The Focus EV was developed as a retrofit of electric equipment into the regular C1 based ICE Focus rolling body (glider). By the mid twenty teens, Ford knew that even with increasing range to 200 miles/+300 km, the Focus EV was never going to sell in numbers to justify its place.

Focus EV to E-Max
Knowing Mark Fields desire to not spend money and keep as much of the cost under C1 The thought that the E-Max would be just a continuation of the electrified C1/C2 based Focus EV with a more crossover body is most likely the case as it was still a FWD vehicle, also why Farley and Hackett saw it as a vehicle going nowhere. In short order, they cancelled the Focus EV and C-Max ICE, hybrid and PHEV.

Enter Farley and Hackett
The GE platform Electrification changes went further than electrics under C1 with more changes to the floor pan, drive cradle and suspension modules. The E-Max was intended as an electric version of a crossover that combined the better styling elements from the Focus and the C-Max but as we saw, the design was far from inspiring and still FWD like GM was doing. From there we know how the genesis of Mach E went, push out the front wheels to give RWD proportions did wonders for the styling

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The bottom line was that Ford was never going to use the Focus name on the E-Max.
The quote from the article you posted:
This thread about the crap Ford Focus getting discontinued glad you now agree with what l said originally in the first paragraph for the the first time here, now you are getting somewhere, you really are stubborn hard work.

Great to see you get it JDP

Yes l already knew all about Fords new/old platforms you and the other Herbert are starting to lecture posting new Ford platforms.

Two new FORD crossovers coming in the future are both siting on

VOLKSWAGEN MEB PLATFORM

Know the undercoring JDP the Baldrick of GMI cunning plans would pan out on platforms the underscoring VW Buzz platform to used for what will be Ford's next new large crossover replacement in the future.

So using Borg's analogy/platform posting VW Bulli know how will be used for the next generation another large crossover C Max? but won't called a C Max probably be a VW Mustang Max LOL.

QUOTE jpd80, post: No 9
I used the term e C-Max to underscore It’s roots as a crossover not another Focus EV as claimed in the article posted by Oldsmobile stopped - I knew he would post it again…..

Ford next large cross platform underscores VW roots the next VW C Max to use your JDP cunning plans phrases LOL

What your next cunning plan JDP Baldrick?

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
This thread about the crap Ford Focus getting discontinued glad you now agree with what l said originally in the first paragraph for the the first time here, now you are getting somewhere, you really are stubborn hard work.

Great to see you get it JDP

Yes l already knew all about Fords new/old platforms you and the other Herbert are starting to lecture posting new Ford platforms.
Context old boy,
E-Max was never going to be, Fields was dragging his feet because he knew the changes weren’t enough, that’s why he had the project on hold and why Bill Ford sacked him for not proceeding.
The whole thing was financially underwater as was the case of the then current C1 Focus EV, no wonder Farley and Hackett cancelled it in 2018 and then the next Gen C-Max for 2019 and with it the E-Max.

The longer wheelbase of the E-Max but with a swooping body and low nose in the profile you posted. Fields wasn‘t convinced because the thing had to be built as a hybrid as well as a BEV, too many compromises…..

Two new FORD crossovers coming in the future are both siting on

VOLKSWAGEN MEB PLATFORM

Know the undercoring JDP the Baldrick of GMI cunning plans would pan out on platforms the underscoring VW Buzz platform to used for what will be Ford's next new large crossover replacement in the future.
LOL OK Blackadder,
VW is quitting MEB, so that means they’re admitting that it’s either too costly or takes too long to build or both. Ford is now stuck with two MEBs in Europe like it or not but the quiet word from North America is that Ford is stepping away from building MEBs in Canada or at least reviewing the costs. Don’t know why if they already have two vehicles that have been developed in Europe but yeah, Ford now building GE2 Explorer and Aviator at Oakville Canada wher the MEBs we’re going! So you tell me Blackadder…..

So using Borg's analogy/platform posting VW Bulli know how will be used for the next generation another large crossover C Max? but won't called a C Max probably be a VW Mustang Max LOL.
If the vehicle was as large as you think, it would be on Ford’s GE2, its not so the Mid Sized Utility in Euro speak is probably Escape/Kuga and the other vehicle is probably a replacement for the Focus Active but maybe not that name…
QUOTE jpd80, post: No 9

Ford next large cross platform underscores VW roots the next VW C Max to use your JDP cunning plans phrases LOL

What your next cunning plan JDP Baldrick?
I have no plan, just observation of past Ford plans, we were telling you guys long before the 2019 article you posted, stuff was leaking out in late 2017….

There is no VW based Ford C-Max, more like Kuga SUV and Focus EV crossover but are those the best vehicles for Ford Europe to pursue?
Considering how well Mustang Mach E is selling in Europe, maybe a ”Kuga” compact utility and a companion “Fusion Active“ crossover are still very worthwhile vehicles to sell into a hungry for EV Europe…. I’ll cede to your observations on thatin Eu, at least in the UK…
Yes, Ford Europe also have EV Transit and Transit Connect (VW) and EV Puma so plenty of interesting vehicles coming….

I honestly think Ford is about to change plans again for North America, can you believe that…….the reason is I don’t think they can make the price of a true compact work, maybe keep the hybrid C2 selling for now until things like battery prices come back to normal…

The biggest wild card in all of this is steeping costs of BEV components like batteries and with a recession on the way, everything could slow down or even contract for a while…….

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
LOL so using your stupid logic l suppose a Ford GT was based on a Cortina GT LOL

So the Mustang Mach E as turned into a Toyota Prius according to what you say Ford need to market that LOL wow the epitome of boredom, Ford slapped $1 pony best quality plastic badge and Mustang & rear light cluster call it a Mustang and charge the UK customers $82,000 for an entry model Ford Prius pony that was originally going to be a Ford Focus crossover hoping the British buyer won't notice Ford based it on Toyota Prius as you say LOL
Wait, what? I just told you a "fun fact", there is no opinion in it.

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
Wait, what? I just told you a "fun fact", there is no opinion in it.
Yes, Grand C-Max with 109” wheelbase was the starting point for the E-Max.

Thank goodness Ford stopped E-Max in its tracks and made major changes,
even saying that doesn’t do justice to the transformation that Ford executed.
Simply breathtaking

T

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VW is quitting MEB, so that means they’re admitting that it’s either too costly or takes too long to build or both. Ford is now stuck with two MEBs in Europe like it or not but the quiet word from North America is that Ford is stepping away from building MEBs in Canada or at least reviewing the costs. Don’t know why if they already have two vehicles that have been developed in Europe but yeah, Ford now building GE2 Explorer and Aviator at Oakville Canada wher the MEBs we’re going!
Volkswagen targets 435 miles of range for updated MEB platform
More range, more performance and faster charging coming for the VW Group's MEB electric car platform

by: James Brodie
19 Apr 2022

Volkswagen has revealed plans to update the MEB platform, targeting increased range, faster charging times and higher performance for future cars using the brand’s all-electric vehicle architecture.

Confirmed in a presentation to attendees at the UBS Paris Electric Car Day, a slide within the presentation referred to ‘enhancements’ that are coming for the MEB platform, more than likely due to coincide with the release of the firm’s next ID. badged model in 2023.

A redesigned version of the MEB will support a battery and motor system capable of delivering 435 miles on a single charge, while the maximum recharge rate of the system will be upped from 150kW to 200kW.

Similarly, the maximum performance envelope of the platform will be increased beyond the standards set today by the likes of the ID.4 GTX, which uses a dual-motor electric powertrain producing 295bhp. That car does 0-62mph in 6.3 seconds, but the benchmark sprint will be reduced to 5.5 seconds for cars using the updated MEB system.

The range and performance aspects of the enhanced MEB offering will likely be as a result of new componentry and hardware, such as larger, denser battery packs beyond the 77kWh maximum currently available. Similarly, the extra performance will be achieved through the use of more powerful electric motor systems. However, the increased charging rate could be as a result of software refinements and optimisation.

It’s all but certain that the first car to use the enhanced MEB will be the production version of the ID. Vizzion, due in 2023. Volkswagen confirmed earlier in the year that a new concept of this vehicle, called ID. Aero, would make its debut at the now cancelled Beijing Motor Show, touting a range of up to 435 miles.

The technical improvements planned for the MEB platform will likely feed into facelifted versions of the ID.3 and ID.4, due around 2024, before being incorporated into the VW Group’s next-generation SSP platform, which will be introduced in 2026.

LINK

Have you told Volkswagen they are quiting the MEB platform yet Baldrick? They need to know LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts