GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford files trademarks for electric versions of smaller Maverick and Ranger pickup trucks
Electrek
Fred Lambert
Jul. 12th 2022

Ford has now filed for trademarks for electric versions of both its Maverick and Ranger pickup trucks.

Interestingly, the automaker has filed different trademarks in Europe and the US.

In Europe, Ford has filed to trademark the names “Maverick Lightning” and “Ranger Lightning” with the European Union Trademark Office:

The name obviously matches the electric version of the F-150, but Ford also specified electric vehicles in the category chosen for the trademark:

Again, Ford chose the category that specifies both pickup trucks and electric vehicles for those trademarks.

At the same time, Ford also trademarked “F-150 Thunder” with the United States Patent and Trademark Office last month.
*Full Article at Link

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,890 Posts
The hybrid Maverick does well enough.
A PHEV version of it would be nice...

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more I think about it, the naming conventions for the Ranger and Maverick EVS makes sense. Since the F-150 Lightning will most likely never be sold in Europe, it makes sense to use the Lightning suffix. Whereas in North America, in the Ford truck hierarchy, the Maverick and Ranger are slotted below the F-150. So it makes since to use the suffix of Thunder for those trucks.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,764 Posts
Does this mean that Europe will get electric Ford Ranger and Ford Maverick before the U.S. does? Lightning travels faster than Thunder, after all. 😃

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The Ranger Lighthing is a TE1-based EV and it's arriving sooner than the Maverick EV, maybe by a year or so. We're talking 2027-ish for Ranger Lightning, 2027/8 for the Maverick Lighthing based on GE2. The Maverick Lightning isn't really on my radar yet, I just know its somewhere around 2028 which is just beyond the development roadmap. I think it might be the 5th Oakville-built product arriving for 2028, but that's just a guess. GE2 products going there include the Explorer EV, Aviator EV, Corsair EV. We know there are 5 going in there, unless plans changed which is very likely. I think they'll end up maxing it out with Explorer/Aviator/Corsair EVs. It's likely that by 2028, Mach E and Maverick could be built in Cautitaln on GE2, but I have no indication on when a Mach E will be redesigned for GE2.

It seems likely GM will participate in this segment via an EV version. If Equinox EV is $30K, they can certainly pull this off sooner than Ford. Ford has no small affordable EVs in view (in North America anyway). Ford has, and will have affordable hybrids however. It looks like Ford will lose its only US PHEVs when Escape and Corsair ICE is discontinued.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,694 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
It would be cool to see a S10/Montana for US packaged and sized for the market. I don't want anything smaller than midsized but clearly many do. We won't get a hybrid from GM, leadership has told us that, so it's already hard to compete on that angle. I doubt we get an entry until they're ready with a full EV.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Seems needlessly confusing. I think they should have just gone with the Lightning name for Ranger and Maverick EVs, staying consistent with the nomenclature for F-150. It makes the most sense unless I'm missing something. The part I find most intriguing is the F-150 Thunder name. Does anyone know what it will be?

I'm still not real fond of Maverick's styling but man did Ford hit a sweet spot in the market and the base-hybrid package they put together is phenomenal. Hard to believe that, aside from Hyundai, other manufacturers are merely at the point of considering entering the segment. Perhaps Ultium will allow GM to hop in quickly with a small EV pickup.

·
Premium Member
11,917 Posts
Seems needlessly confusing. I think they should have just gone with the Lightning name for Ranger and Maverick EVs, staying consistent with the nomenclature for F-150. It makes the most sense unless I'm missing something. The part I find most intriguing is the F-150 Thunder name. Does anyone know what it will be?
The smart money is on Thunder being PHEV (Thunder and Lightning)
I'm still not real fond of Maverick's styling but man did Ford hit a sweet spot in the market and the base-hybrid package they put together is phenomenal. Hard to believe that, aside from Hyundai, other manufacturers are merely at the point of considering entering the segment. Perhaps Ultium will allow GM to hop in quickly with a small EV pickup.
Ford really stole the March with Maverick and to think it was the white space product that the Ford think tank came up with in a matter of months and submitted to engineering development.

I don’t know what GM has planned but opting for a $30k compact utility over a Maverick competitor seems like a missed opportunity or perhaps misplaced priorities……

·
Registered
233 Posts
Why would Ford need to file any trademarks for a name they already have?
Different region/ set of markets, different trademark filing.

The "Tremor" name for example has been around for a couple of years in North America but it was only In December 2021 that Ford filed the trademark "Tremor" for in Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines. *These markets previously used the name "FX4 Max" instead of "Tremor".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts