GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

AutoGuide.com named the aluminum Ford F-150 its 2015 Truck of the Year today.

Ford’s new half-ton pickup beat three other finalists – the GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500, the Ram 2500 Power Wagon and the GMC Canyon – in order to secure its title.

“The 2015 Ford F-150 impressed the AutoGuide.com staff with its power-rich 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6, towing ability and handling characteristics. Ford is breaking into new territory within the pickup truck segment by shifting to an aluminum body,” News Editor Stephen Elmer said.

By moving to an aluminum body, the 2015 F-150 sheds roughly 700 lbs and gains significantly better on-road dynamics than the generation it replaces. The truck uses a six-speed automatic transmission and is available with a variety of engines including the volume-leading 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 that makes 365 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...50-named-autoguide-com-truck-of-the-year.html

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Go to one of the test drive events. It really is a great truck.

My impressions:
2.7L XLT CC 4x4 felt like the hotrod, but the exhaust note is much better on the 3.5L. 3.5L does not feel as feisty as the 2.7 off the line due to torque management. I taught the Ford guy about that. Really liked the 360 degree camera system, the drivers information center, the power tailgate, and the panoramic moonroof. Hated the ride on the 2.7. It was a non FX4 and it was floaty and imprecise. I am not a fan of floaty rides. I can understand that some people like that, but I am not one of them. Because of the floaty and wallowy ride, it did not inspire confidence in the handling department. You have to remember that I am all about handling. The FX4 3.5L was fantastic. The ride was firm and controlled but not jarring or stiff. It inspired confidence and felt great. My biggest dislike is the position of the trailer brake controller. It is in a really stupid location on a downward slant of the dash. Basically, it is close to your kneecap. The trucks are tossable, however. You can really feel the weight loss in that regard. Oh, some of the materials in the XLT feel cheap. It was much better in the FX4 Lariat that we drove. The back seat is cavernous, and makes the back seat in my F250 feel small.

The fit of the aluminum panels is fantastic. I am talking the fit and finish everywhere, like the door sills, and the insides of the doors. You can knock on the doors, and there is no deflection. I am talking about really knocking on the door, not wimpy knuckle raps. Modern steel bodied trucks have this ridiculous thin skin on the doors, and if you did the same thing on them, you feel like you are going to dent them as you watch the metal push in.

A word about the 360 degree camera................ wow!!! With the way that most people can't figure out where lines are in parking lots, it should be a standard feature. I take great pride in parking my F250 CC 4x4 very well, but the camera would just make it that much easier, in any parking lot.

We built both a FX4 Lariat, and a FX4 Platinum on-line. The equipment that we put on it is incredible. MSRP on the Lariat was $61K and on the Platinum was $63K.

However, you guys can continue to bash it, when you have never seen one in person, much less having driven one. All of the big 2.5 trucks are fantastic. However, this new F150 really does offer some very compelling options and features. Even though you may hate Ford with a passion, and may never buy one unless you were threatened with death, you should drive one and really check it out. A, it is fun, and B, you can get a more realistic perspective.

Oh, I taught the Ford guy a few things. LOL We had a great time, as he worked on the original Ford GT program. :D

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
You do realize that the Ram trucks use more structural adhesives than the F150, and did it first, right??

Way back in the 90's, body shops were already complaining about the adhesives making repairs more difficult. Yet, the F150 gets all of your disdain. Interesting. (btw, I had a good friend who owned a body shop back then)

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I'm not a "Truck Guy", but the front end design on the Ford is AWFUL. Optimus Prime if he had 4 wheels.

Reactions: Pisswilly

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Any body panels come loose from the glue during test drive? I think I'll wait for GM to do it using welding instead of glue and rivets. After all we're not talking about a static model.
You say glue like it's Elmer's White School glue. They 'glue' parts of airplanes together. It's fair to question the durability and strength of the construction of the new F-150s, but they didn't just slap a bit of glue from Home Depot on an aluminum panel and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I'm not a "Truck Guy", but the front end design on the Ford is AWFUL. Optimus Prime if he had 4 wheels.
I'm not a "Truck Guy", but I love it! I also like the Silverado, but not so much the Ram or Sierra. Looks are part of the equation, but I don't think that will be the biggest factor for the new F-150s success or failure...

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
paul8488

You say glue like it's Elmer's White School glue. They 'glue' parts of airplanes together. It's fair to question the durability and strength of the construction of the new F-150s, but they didn't just slap a bit of glue from Home Depot on an aluminum panel and call it a day.
Not to mention all the OEMs have been using bonding adhesive for a looooooong time now. I'm not afraid of that, it's the riveting that gives me pause.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
I think the trucks look very nice in person. I was never a fan of the 2013/14 Platinum front end. I just could never get used to it. The Platinum on the 2015 looks fantastic. I do not care for the XLT grill, or the Lariat Grill, but when you add the FX4 package, that is blacked out, and it looks great. Especially in any shade of red.

On the subject of subjective looks, I just cannot get past the transformer look of the new Silverado/Sierra. The wheel wells just look so exaggerated and clown like, and the squareness of the front clip is just too much. I actually prefer the looks of the previous gen, as it didn't look as square, and the flares didn't look as exaggerated. I do have an issue with huge flares that do not fit huge tires, so you have to understand where I am coming from.

The F150 looks nothing like the Tundra. Not one iota, in person. There was a new(er) Tundra at the drive event from someone who was driving the F150. Short of 4 tires, a grill and 4 doors with a bed, there is no resemblance.

The Ford guy loved that I drove them like I stole them. He said that everyone was driving like they were at driving school. LOL

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's not bulbous like the Tundra, Tundra's in a whole new class of ugly. But the front fascia of the F-series really is unappealing. Especially the headlights. God I hate the headlights.
I agree whole-heartedly. I cannot stand the front-end design either, especially the headlights.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The front end kinda screams "Hey look at me" and so you are curiously drawn to it for another look. Just like you would look at the drunk ugly girl at the party with the ugly Christmas sweater and the lit up Christmas light necklace around her neck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts