GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A butchered Mach E test mule has been spotted, revealing the early foundation of Ford's new EV architecture that will underpin a number of vehicles that begin debuting next year, including the Explorer EV and Lincoln's first EV.

Good to see things progressing out in the open. You can see the mule has a longer wheelbase and track. Explorer wheelbase is about 2" longer than Mach E so that brings the foundation of this vehicle in-line with the current Explorer and Aviator. And obviously bigger tires, battery, height, etc.

Ignore the article which mischaracterizes this as a Lincoln based on the Mach E. The new platform is not related to Mach E.

·
Registered
20,904 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Explorer wheelbase is about 2" longer than Mach E so that brings the foundation of this vehicle in-line with the current Explorer and Aviator.
Based on huge gap between the rear tires and rear door on the mule, wheelbase is definitely more than just 2" longer than the Mach E, my guess is at least 4". Makes sense if it will have a 3rd row... will it?

-Carsccops

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,055 Posts
An Explorer EV sounds captivating. Of course the direction things are going most of the stuff we're used to will either die or be "morphed over" to an EV platform. I be anxious to see this thing when complete. :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
A butchered Mach E test mule has been spotted, revealing the early foundation of Ford's new EV architecture that will underpin a number of vehicles that begin debuting next year, including the Explorer EV and Lincoln's first EV.

Good to see things progressing out in the open. You can see the mule has a longer wheelbase and track. Explorer wheelbase is about 2" longer than Mach E so that brings the foundation of this vehicle in-line with the current Explorer and Aviator. And obviously bigger tires, battery, height, etc.

Ignore the article which mischaracterizes this as a Lincoln based on the Mach E. The new platform is not related to Mach E.

If they are still at the test mule stage, then we can expect the actual EVs to debut in 2022 in the same sense that the F-150 Lightning debuted in 2021. We will see their near production styling and feature sets. Customers will be lucky to drive one off the lot in 2023 or 2024.

View attachment 64163
View attachment 64161 View attachment 64162

·
Premium Member
11,300 Posts

View attachment 64163
View attachment 64161 View attachment 64162
Thank you for posting this new info, it puts to rest some nonsense elsewhere.
(some were suggesting that Edge/Nautilus would be GE2, not MEB at OAC)

Clearly, this is the new GE2 electric platform, intended for three row SUVs,
Explorer and Aviator. This looks to have the right bones for those bigger utes
but hopefully, Mustang Mach E makes the switch in another few years.

Fingers crossed that we see some prototypes testing in the first half of 2022.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm not really clear on what is being built where at this point. Ford has said they are building another EV alongside Mach E at Cautitlan, while Oakville is getting a bunch of EVs starting in 2025. Production of the Explorer EV/Lincoln EV is in the 2023CY, so it's safe to assume both of these vehicles are coming out of the Mach E plant. I'm not sure what is coming out of Oakville at this point, it's still far out when we're talking 2025-2028 timelines. Not many US EV plants besides Lightning and Transit, but I guess those are the big ones. The batteries are coming out of Georgia at least.

Edge is going to be dropped from the North American market around 2024, while Nautilus will be replaced by the redesigned model from China (and imported from China) in 2023. I'll believe it when I see it, but Lincoln sells twice as many vehicles in China as North America so it would make sense. Edge will also continue on with a redesign in China.

Mach E appears to be a one-off platform, although the battery pack and motors is shared by the Transit EV as well. But after that Ford has a new platform, battery design, and in-house motors. The Lightning is the first to get Ford-designed and built motors (besides the 2020+ Ford Hybrids)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not many US EV plants besides Lightning and Transit, but I guess those are the big ones. The batteries are coming out of Georgia at least.

Edge is going to be dropped from the North American market around 2024, while Nautilus will be replaced by the redesigned model from China (and imported from China) in 2023. I'll believe it when I see it, but Lincoln sells twice as many vehicles in China as North America so it would make sense. Edge will also continue on with a redesign in China.
I'm personally going to lose interest in Ford very quickly if they're going to import so much of their product. I've always been a big supporter of domestic brands, but if they're going to be largely domestic in name only then screw'em!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I'm personally going to lose interest in Ford very quickly if they're going to import so much of their product. I've always been a big supporter of domestic brands, but if they're going to be largely domestic in name only then screw'em!
Settle down...only the Nautilus is probably coming from China...they'll still be a mostly US mfr

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mach E looks good with longer wheelbase proportions. More rear storage for Explorer will add significant length. Should work fine

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ford's US-based EV production will likely pick up in 2026+ once they have their new EV truck platform, all the high-dollar stuff. Then we'll see F-150, Navigator, Expedition EVs...not to mention Vans and other commercial EV products. Then there is the Bronco EV almost certainly arriving by the end of the decade. It might be why Ford keeps bumping EV production out of the country because their US-built EVs will be the big stuff. You can also thank Canada for HUGE subsidies to refit Oakville for electrification.

As for Nautilus coming from China, it makes sense as Lincoln transitions to EVs in the US. Although I suspect this may not actually happen and Nautilus will just be dropped from the US. EVs and ICE products generally can't share a plant and Ford has to maintain a sustainable factory and personnel footprint. You can thank China for Lincoln's continued existence, no doubt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts