GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Amid the industry’s booming sales of compact wagonoids on stilts, domestic full-size SUVs stand out like the mountains of metal they are: truck-based behemoths capable of towing more than four tons while seating up to eight people. Despite their excesses, these giants remain indispensable for their vast range of capabilities. While both of the segment’s icons, the Chevrolet Tahoe and the Ford Expedition, see a significant evolution for 2015, each applies its own formula for taking an entire homestead on holiday.

The Tahoe follows the path of the latest Chevy Silverado 1500, borrowing its updated boxed frame and 5.3-liter small-block V-8 with aluminum block-and-head construction, direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, and cylinder deactivation. Its 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque motivate a stylish, if conventional, rig that stands apart from the donor pickup with more of its own sheetmetal and rear coils instead of leaf springs. In a first for the ute, even its front doors are different from the Silverado’s.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-chevrolet-tahoe-ltz-vs-2015-ford-expedition-platinum-comparison-test

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Oh boy this thread is going to get ugly

Reactions: Amphibian

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Saw this. Comparison or not, who in their right mind would pick a loaded Expedition over a loaded Tahoe? or a Navigator over Yukon Denali? Ford's fullsize SUV's are STALE.
Speaking of stale these full size SUVs are big bread boxes on wheels and the biggest difference from generation to generation is appearance. Yes they add refinement and updated engines/transmissions, but the basic box remain just that, a box. That the EcoBoost is deemed superior to the old OHV V8 in this application means nothing. That the IRS provides superior ride and handling means nothing. The the interior has more usable space means nothing. That the creases in the bread box haven't changed, that right there is all that matters.

The funny thing about those creases though, outside of the Escalade which I think is beautiful and absolutely shames the Navigator in terms of style I personally like the Expedition's appearance more than the Chevy or GMC alternatives. But that's just me.

Look, I'm not saying the new Ford's will overtake the GM triplets in sales but they will likely reassert Ford's presence in this market, a market they largely abandoned by leaving the old boat anchor powering it for far to long.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,309 Posts
Ford Expedition wins comparison, Chevrolet Tahoe wins the consumers' money.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No? Are you suggesting the F-150 hasn't lost a comparison in the past four decades while still retaining the sales crown?
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that the sales argument is only used when it supports your vehicle of choice (but that goes for most of us).

At Motor Trend, we're very careful of using that line of defense considering the Camry's top-spot on the mid-size sales chart.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Im one of those stupid consumers ;) - Our Tahoe was the best vehicle we've owned and was a mistake when we traded it on an Enclave. If we were looking today I would go right for another Tahoe ignoring anything review wise. The Tahoe just works. Same with the F150 - my Father-in-Law is a Ford guy and his trucks have all been great.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Im one of those stupid consumers ;) - Our Tahoe was the best vehicle we've owned and was a mistake when we traded it on an Enclave. If we were looking today I would go right for another Tahoe ignoring anything review wise. The Tahoe just works. Same with the F150 - my Father-in-Law is a Ford guy and his trucks have all been great.
You simply cannot make a bad purchase when deciding between American full size trucks and SUVs. GM, Ford, and Ram trucks are to America what BMW, Mercedes, and Audi are to Germany. The competition is fierce, and the worst among them is excellent!

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that the sales argument is only used when it supports your vehicle of choice (but that goes for most of us).

At Motor Trend, we're very careful of using that line of defense considering the Camry's top-spot on the mid-size sales chart.
We? If someone like you is what auto journalists are like, we're all doomed.

I know, but you can't apply the "this sells better" argument to one class of vehicles and not another.
Please, explain the "this sells better" argument to me. I don't understand your umbrage.

·
Registered
690 Posts
while i disagree with the writer,ford has done an admirable job with the expedition they came in and grabbed a big piece of chevy's action in the beggining and unlike chevy whos's been doing this since 1935 ford doesnt know what to do with it's big suv. i predict it will be gone by 2019. tahoe is king! expeditions are nice trucks!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.