GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Motor Co. expects to run out of current-model Mustangs before it begins assembling the redesigned 2005 Mustang in September.

Production of the 2004 Mustang will end May 10 at Ford's Rouge plant in Dearborn, Mich. Then Ford will shift Mustang production to Flat Rock, Mich., where it runs a joint-venture assembly plant with Mazda.

Since August, Ford has been building Mustangs on overtime to help it through the summer production drought. But demand for the old model has surpassed expectations: Mustang sales are up 16 percent this year.

"It's not going to make it," said Ford Division President Steve Lyons. "By July, they're going to be pretty scarce."

Buoyed by overtime production, Mustang stocks have been high through the winter. But the numbers are coming down fast. Ford had 58,200 Mustangs or a 96-day supply on April 1, down from a 127-day supply on March 1.

Full Article

·
Registered
579 Posts
If they're switching plants why not have more overlap between the production runs? E.g. keep making 2004s up to the last, while building up a large supply for what will certainly be massive demand for the 2005s?

Not only is the Mustang surely a money-maker in itself, but the customer retension is insane (IIRC over half of Mustang owners buy another Ford as their next vehicle).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by stewacide@Apr 19 2004, 06:31 AM
If they're switching plants why not have more overlap between the production runs? E.g. keep making 2004s up to the last, while building up a large supply for what will certainly be massive demand for the 2005s?

Not only is the Mustang surely a money-maker in itself, but the customer retension is insane (IIRC over half of Mustang owners buy another Ford as their next vehicle).
Because Ford wants to make absolutely sure there are no old models (except a few Cobras likely) left on the lots when the new ones show up. The old ones simply could not be sold at a profit then, though for those who want the power, the Cobra will still be around I suspect.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Not a good day for GM'ers.

25 year old Mustangs handily selling (while F-bodies don't even exist)
Mustangs posting sales increases while Saturn and Oldsmobile are lingering unsold on lots.

GM's answer....ugly Cobalts and Malibu's which cannot protect its occupants in crash tests. Nice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@Apr 19 2004, 09:15 AM
Not a good day for GM'ers.

25 year old Mustangs handily selling (while F-bodies don't even exist)
Mustangs posting sales increases while Saturn and Oldsmobile are lingering unsold on lots.

GM's answer....ugly Cobalts and Malibu's which cannot protect its occupants in crash tests.  Nice.
Dude get over it.

Mustangs won the battle for now, probably always will since they were 1st, invented the class, and had a long dry period of a decade that left people hungry for it.

Mustang 25 years old? Ford is celebrating the 40th (but there was a significant pdn break in the 70's and early 80's right?)

Camaro/Firebird (F-body Platform) was 35 years old - 2 years ago. Ford's competition didn't match in sales, but beat them in performance when it was active and made the Mustang a better car.

Some good day in the future, we may see the glory instilled within sheet metal again.

For the mean time, I don't think slamming GM repeatedly now and dissin' their new quality models will help our cause of getting the hiatused nameplates back.

;)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
and all this proves that Ford is on a downhill slide, right? ummm..... no. HA! just wait 'til the new one hits. delicious.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
130k units sold and having a shortage is not showing Fords overall company. HOw about the sales drop for the taurus. If it wasnt for Police and Fleet, the Crown Vic and Taurus wouldnt break 200k units.

Im sure the Mustang will sell big, but so did the PT Cruser. IIRC, the PT had 6 month waiting list when my mom wanted to get one in 99. Mustangs still dont beat the Camaro Z28 in performance per dollar, and the Camaro is 2 years older. :rolleyes: ....can you tell that Im bitter? I guess Ill wait for 2007/8

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Ive never really understood why people who dont like GM hang around on a GM message board. I dont go troll on Ford boards, cause I dont care.

Didnt that article say that the Malibu was one of the 3 that passed. I didnt see a ford vehicle on there...

anyway

·
Registered
750 Posts
Agreed, I see the stang going PT in about 3 years since it won't have any new gimmicks to keep the customers back.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I'm amazed that there will be that big of a shortage as Mustangs are always languishing on dealer lots where ever I go. Granted they are mostly V6 and GT models. They are especially hard to sell from November to April in these parts cause of mother nature. But I do think that when the new model arrives it will sell like gang busters.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't see anything wacky or retro about the design. It just looks like a Mustang! The only retro bits are in the interior and details like the badgeing, and by the time people are sick of them it will be time for a refresh anyways. In the meantime the Mutang will be HUGE for the next couple years, driving remand and much more importantly raiseing Ford's profile and rep'.

GM could only dream about 1/10 the exposure the Mustang will get with the SSR or GTO...

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Apr 19 2004, 11:21 AM
But demand for the old model has surpassed expectations: Mustang sales are up 16 percent this year.
doesn't matter what you see on dealers lots... this is the number that says it all. i can't understand the attraction... i'm not a mustang fan... but this looks like the same as with the impala: improving sales towards the end of the product run. impala has ever-improving quality backing it up (and incentives, yes)... i guess the mustang has it's own market right now. best-in-class somehow means a little less now!

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Originally posted by leadfoot85@Apr 19 2004, 09:24 AM
Mustang 25 years old? Ford is celebrating the 40th (but there was a significant pdn break in the 70's and early 80's right?)
It IS 25 years old, actually ~25.5 years old. The 2004 Mustang, I mean. It debuted in 1978 (got a few minor refreshes since then). The 2005 Mustang will be 0 years old when introduced; it'll be the fourth "new" 'Stang since April, 1964. (First one was Falcon-based [64-73], second one Pinto-based [74-78] and third one Fairmont-based [79-04])

·
Registered
314 Posts
I dont think that Retro "burn out rule" (that flys around here so much) will apply to the 05 stang.
Because It dosn't look bubbly, Toy Like & cute like the VW bug, PT cruser, Thunderbird, Chevy SSR, & MINI. The 05 Mustang looks lean & Strong. Its basicly a direction in retro, that no one has brought to the market yet. Most people who see this car, Young and old, (More importantly Young) Like the looks of this one.

I don't see any problem talking good about Ford on a GM site. Sorry If your one who dosn't approve of it.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Originally posted by lio45+Apr 19 2004, 12:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lio45 @ Apr 19 2004, 12:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-leadfoot85@Apr 19 2004, 09:24 AM
It IS 25 years old, actually ~25.5 years old. The 2004 Mustang, I mean. It debuted in 1978 (got a few minor refreshes since then). The 2005 Mustang will be 0 years old when introduced; it'll be the fourth "new" 'Stang since April, 1964. (First one was Falcon-based [64-73], second one Pinto-based [74-78] and third one Fairmont-based [79-04])[/b][/quote]
The Mustang is on the same basic platform for 25 years, but it's had A LOT more than a few "minor" refreshes. What would you consider a major refresh?

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Apr 19 2004, 04:22 PM
Agreed, I see the stang going PT in about 3 years since it won't have any new gimmicks to keep the customers back.
Don't know if I agree with this one.
Bullit
GT-350
GT-500
Mach 1
Boss
Cobra
Cobra R

If Ford can sell the current body style with the Bullit and Mach 1 nameplates, I am sure it can come up with a whole lot more with the 05. Having the IRS as a future option will also add a new dimension (if it comes to be as it is expected).

However, I do think that the Mustang's success will help motivate Chevy to speed up the return of the Camaro/heighten its importance. The Mustang is looking mighty tempting to me, but it is a touch too long, a little too retro and doesn't have a tagra/T-Top. All of which would easily sway me to a Camaro if I can't pony up for the GTO (which also needs at least a sunroof IMHO).

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i don't know when the last was (i know the suzuki x-90 had'em at the end of the 90's), but i like t-tops! i don't know that i'd ever buy a convertible if it was my only car, but i'd be perfectly happy with t-tops. it's just about the right amount of open for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Apr 19 2004, 11:22 AM
I completely agree with this take. EVERY retro car that's been on the market more than three years has taken a substantial sales hit once the newness wore off. Witness the previously onobtainable New Beetle languishing, even though VW has added incentives.

The fact is, the "new" Mustang is a sweet looking ride. So is the PT Cruiser. And, while I think the new Mustang will be a homerun, it leaves Ford with no place to go once sales begin to lag in year 4. It's a proven fact that the car-buying public will tire of the retro styling. What do they do, build another Mustang II? How about a 1972 Mustang Grande?

Secondly, F-bodies had T-tops until their swan song in 2002.

My belief is that if the Mustang sells like gangbusters, GM will have to answer with something of their own. This gives us the best chance of getting a Camaro/Firebird back into production.

So, from a GM guy: GO MUSTANG! (even though I'm keeping my '99 Camaro SS!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts