Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford EcoSport quits the U.S. market in 2022
Automaker's departure from India kills the subcompact CUV here
JONATHON RAMSEY
Sep 11th 2021
autoblog.com

Ford recently announced its exit from the retail automotive market in India after 25 years on dealer lots there. One casualty of the move is Ford's pocketbook, the automaker already having lost $2 billion over the past 10 years and taking another $2 billion in charges tied to the move over the next several years. Roughly 4,000 employees will also need to deal with the blow. But there's one more subcompact casualty from the fallout, Ford confirming to the Detroit Free Press that the EcoSport won't be sold in the U.S. after production ends in India.

In a separate statement to Automotive News, a company spokesperson said, "With Ford India’s restructuring announcement, the Ford EcoSport will now be sold in North America only through the second half of 2022," after which it would "continue to serve EcoSport customers with parts, service and warranty support."

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
In the short term, this could only help the remaining competitors in the segment. The Chevy Trax (still hate that name) is getting long in the tooth and needs attention. For those customers seeking a "domestic only" product in this segment, perhaps the EcoSports disappearance can help them buoy sales for a bit longer while they work on a replacement.

That said, I fully expect Ford to do what they've done in Europe and other markets to fill the void in the segment and bring the Ford Puma to the U.S. The Puma is lightyears ahead of the EcoSport (and the Trax, for that matter) and has been well received in other markets. Hopefully it will find the same reception here in the States.

Ford Puma (UK)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
20,999 Posts
In the short term, this could only help the remaining competitors in the segment. The Chevy Trax (still hate that name) is getting long in the tooth and needs attention. For those customers seeking a "domestic only" product in this segment, perhaps the EcoSports disappearance can help them buoy sales for a bit longer while they work on a replacement.

That said, I fully expect Ford to do what they've done in Europe and other markets to fill the void in the segment and bring the Ford Puma to the U.S. The Puma is lightyears ahead of the EcoSport (and the Trax, for that matter) and has been well received in other markets. Hopefully it will find the same reception here in the States.

Ford Puma (UK)
View attachment 64425
To be fair, GM also sells Trailblazer in the US market and it handily outsells EcoSport. Trax still moved over 18k units last quarter but I'd guess a lot were fleet sales.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
According to CarBuzz.com this “may” be a replacement for the Edge.

I like it!
As do I...I'll never drive a traditional crossover, but these couputes, yeah I'd push one. All it needs is a good hybrid option and it should do well. Ford is missing a true volume product outside the F150, and something like this could definitely make up that gap in the lineup.

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be fair, GM also sells Trailblazer in the US market and it handily outsells EcoSport. Trax still moved over 18k units last quarter but I'd guess a lot were fleet sales.
IIRC, the TrailBlazer (hate the repurposing of this name, too), is slightly larger than the Trax. It may compete with the EcoSport price-wise, but not in the size category.

I could be wrong on that, but from what I recall, that was GM's justification and corporate jargon when they brought the TrailBlazer to market.
According to CarBuzz.com this “may” be a replacement for the Edge.

I like it!
It's possible that the Evos may supplant the Edge in the market, but likely only in price (and not footprint/characteristics).

The rumor for awhile has been that the Evos will foreshadow a new Mondeo/Fusion that combines sedan/station-wagon/crossover into one package. Ford has been tight lipped about it, but they are looking to "create a new segment" as traditional sedans die and the CUV/SUV grows.

Of course, one could argue that outfits like Honda have already created this segment (the Acura ZDX, Honda Accord CrossTour), even if they retreated from it shortly thereafter. But the market moves on and perhaps Ford will do this more convincingly than Honda did years back? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
IIRC, the TrailBlazer (hate the repurposing of this name, too), is slightly larger than the Trax. It may compete with the EcoSport price-wise, but not in the size category.

I could be wrong on that, but from what I recall, that was GM's justification and corporate jargon when they brought the TrailBlazer to market.

It's possible that the Evos may supplant the Edge in the market, but likely only in price (and not footprint/characteristics).

The rumor for awhile has been that the Evos will foreshadow a new Mondeo/Fusion that combines sedan/station-wagon/crossover into one package. Ford has been tight lipped about it, but they are looking to "create a new segment" as traditional sedans die and the CUV/SUV grows.

Of course, one could argue that outfits like Honda have already created this segment (the Acura ZDX, Honda Accord CrossTour), even if they retreated from it shortly thereafter. But the market moves on and perhaps Ford will do this more convincingly than Honda did years back? 🤷‍♂️
The ZDX and Crosstour didn't fail because they were coup-utes...they failed because they were ugly as ----.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Hate to be the bad-news-bear again, but the Puma and Evos are not headed for the US Market (meaning they are nowhere in the pipeline for the next 3-4 years). Remember Puma is only FWD and with smaller interior dimensions than an EcoSport, it's very ill suited for North America and costly to export from Europe. More practically, Puma was developed regionally, not globally, it can't be cheaply adapted for US export. Ford EVOS is entirely Chinese developed, Ford dropped Fusion plans over 2 years ago. The US is getting a bunch of EVs in the 2nd half of this decade, alongside the Maverick, Bronco Sport, and Escape which will do entry-level heavy lifting from now on. Remember Escape has an HEV and PHEV model too so there is quite a bit in that one vehicle brand alone.

EcoSport was due for a replacement in North America for 2024 with a vehicle that is unrelated to the next-gen global EcoSport. EcoSport was already on the chopping block for the US, virtually the moment it came to the US. Since they killed EcoSport early and shuttered two EcoSport plants suddenly (Brazil and Chennai) I'm almost certain any EcoSport or North American successor have been scrubbed. Ford had already dropped the Maverick companion Crossover from development, which was separate from Bronco Sport and would have been sub $20K with a FWD Hybrid. It's a shame, but I think they are satisfied with Maverick and Bronco Sport filling up Hermosillo. They are also moving more investment toward EV development. Any new EVs will need factory floor space so you don't want to give it to cheap stuff. The EV range will start to balloon heir portfolio further.

The loss of Edge will be absorbed by Mach E, Bronco, Explorer, Explorer EV, and yet more EV crossovers coming from Oakville beyond 2025. You really have to look at the long game here, the portfolio is changing substantially and the customers are shifting to other products.

It's also important to remember that Ford products are highly regionalized now, very little shared development or shared products moving forward.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
With the Edge & Fusion going away, what is Ford going to do w/ the $25,000 to $40,000 midsize sedan/CUV segment? This is where most of the non-truck volume exists w/ everyone else. Are they just going to cede all of that to the competition?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,044 Posts
With the Edge & Fusion going away, what is Ford going to do w/ the $25,000 to $40,000 midsize sedan/CUV segment? This is where most of the non-truck volume exists w/ everyone else. Are they just going to cede all of that to the competition?
Then it would make perfect sense to replace it with something as seen here rather than just rolling over and giving up on that part of the market.... Oh Wait A Minute Here...o_O Isn't this exactly what gm has been doing time and time again much to the chagrin of us here at GMI?:mad:

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
The Edge is here for 2 more years, there is no gap yet. Fusion was replaced by Escape, Maverick and Bronco Sport in price and in production. Also keep in mind all the vehicles Ford has added to its fleet, like Ranger, Bronco, and Mach E. Bigger-ticket items taking the places of lower ones like Focus and Fusion. Explorer also grew its volume and is priced very close to Edge.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I've read a story within the last six-ish months that the ZDX was being updated and brought back but have not heard anything since. I liked the ZDX but disliked the rear ingress.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,044 Posts
The Edge is here for 2 more years, there is no gap yet. Fusion was replaced by Escape, Maverick and Bronco Sport in price and in production. Also keep in mind all the vehicles Ford has added to its fleet, like Ranger, Bronco, and Mach E. Bigger-ticket items taking the places of lower ones like Focus and Fusion. Explorer also grew its volume and is priced very close to Edge.
True, but these daze(sic) one can never have too many crossover-SUV thingies. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts