GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I've sometimes wondered if the entire Lincoln Rivian project was just theater, Ford may not have had real interest in developing products together. From the moment it happened I didn't understand what they were thinking. The idea that Ford would hand one of their EVs to Rivian to build sounded ridiculous and redundant. But if it was an IPO investment, that would make more sense, although it sounds too savvy to be true.
I view it as:
1) Ford viewed itself as behind in the BEV race at the time of the deal, and Rivian represented a shortcut/quicker way to jump into the BEV market with a few products by piggybacking on what Rivian had developed thus far
2) they could learn some BEV things from Rivian, and
3) at worst, an early investment in a BEV company that could explode in value like Tesla did, therefore a potential huge return financially.

Fast forward to today, and it seems like Ford's own/in house BEV products/plans/architecture have progressed faster/further than they originally forecasted to the point where (as the article points out) it's not worth the complexity of trying to merge the two companies' architectures/systems, so scrap whatever plans for Ford/Lincoln branded products on Rivian bones.

I agree it seemed odd that Rivian would've built Ford/Lincoln products, as I viewed it more as a technical sharing partnership (Rivian helps Ford with BEV knowledge, Ford helps Rivian with manufacturing knowledge), and I'm sure that's what it's been/will remain to this point.

At this point, the only way I could see a Ford (or Lincoln) branded Rivian-based product would be if Rivian developed something so outside of Ford's typical/existing wheelhouse that Ford saw a market opportunity and wanted to jump onto........I'll make up an example of a LCF type product.....maybe Rivian comes out with one, and Ford views that as a hole in their commercial lineup, but doesn't want to invest in developing their own product, so they work out that Rivian will build "Ford" versions. (we saw them do this before on the LCF with the Navistar tie up years ago). Beyond something like that, it doesn't look like anything Ford/Lincoln branded will be coming out of Rivian factories anytime soon.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,298 Posts
IDK if Rivian has anything that really pushes the technology envelope.
I'm not getting 'em mixed up with Lucid, who IMO definitely pushes it.
Sure, they have a skateboard, but every serious EV maker has that.

Maybe Ford got a good look and decided there was nothing to see there.
I do think they make a very nice EV truck, though. I don't see anything not to like.
It remains to be seen if that's enough.

·
Premium Member
11,339 Posts
IDK if Rivian has anything that really pushes the technology envelope.
I'm not getting 'em mixed up with Lucid, who IMO definitely pushes it.
Sure, they have a skateboard, but every serious EV maker has that.

Maybe Ford got a good look and decided there was nothing to see there.
I do think they make a very nice EV truck, though. I don't see anything not to like.
It remains to be seen if that's enough.
What Rivian has is a contract from Bezos/Amazon for a heap of vans to keep them fed…

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
What Rivian has is a contract from Bezos/Amazon for a heap of vans to keep them fed…
Over like 10 years. That ain't gonna keep anyone fed.
I took my profits after that announcement. Good / bad news is what drives 'em.
When LCID won MCOY, it went up like 30% in one day!

I'm taking this as "bad news".
Will jump back if I guessed wrong, but it could be a really wild ride today.
Even wilder than the usual wild rides these things take!

·
Registered
21,316 Posts

Sold at $162 last week, bought some back on the dip today!...........

Giddy-up 🤠

Reactions: jpd80

·
Registered
11,298 Posts

Giddy-up 🤠
Takin' a pretty hard dump so far today.
Today's guess is lookin' good. Like we say in Podunk... even a blind sow can find a kernel of corn every so often.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

You took your profits on the announcement made before they were public? Not sure how that works/worked.

Giddy-up 🤠
Should've done the same haha. I'm still up overall on my original investment, though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
CEO's come and go, and plans change. I imagine that at some point they were serious about an EV Lincoln, but Ford appears to have revisited their entire future lineup, and Rivian just did not fit. Can't blame Ford for wanting to go it solo, especially since they are developing/building their own battery system/factories and platforms.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The thing is, Ford was already well on its way with its own Lincoln Midsize Crossover EV at the time. Why they had a parallel product with Rivian was perplexing to me unless they planned to drop the GE2 Lincoln in favor of the Rivian. I know the teams working on those GE2 EVs were in the dark on the Rivian deal, it was almost like a small skunk-works team were involved with drawing up the Lincoln Rivian. The GE2 was always scheduled for 2023MY, the Rivian would have been 2022. I tell ya, there is an interesting story in there somewhere, sadly I don't think it will ever be told.

Although Ford was deep in Lighting development at the time, Ford hadn't yet greenlit and funded the TE1 platform, the one that underpins the 2026+ Lightning, Expedition, Navigator, Vans, etc. The big flaw with the Lighting is that it's a one-off platform, unlike GM's platform which is flexible and can underpin way more vehicle types. Ford won't have that until 2026+. Rivian's platform would have given them that capability, but they ultimately couldn't do that anyway with a JV program.

From an EV platform perspective, Ford is very good shape with GE2 and is ahead of curve. Where they are likely lagging GM is in full-size EVs, the Lightning is very much a conversion design, it's not a real EV platform that can underpin multiple vehicles. Although they will sell plenty of Lightnings, that's basically the best they can do for now on the full-size truck, SUV, and van front.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
You took your profits on the announcement made before they were public? Not sure how that works/worked.
Sold ASAP after I heard it.
Then stood on the sidelines and watched it lose 10%+ today.

• Sad
Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
Takin' a pretty hard dump so far today.
Today's guess is lookin' good. Like we say in Podunk... even a blind sow can find a kernel of corn every so often.
Yeah, should have waited a bit longer, it came back some and almost bought more when it was around $110

Still a "green" day overall, market is getting "weird" with the high P/E, speculative stocks.

My "big gainers" for the day were $KR, $F, $LVS.

·
Premium Member
11,339 Posts
Yeah, should have waited a bit longer, it came back some and almost bought more when it was around $110

Still a "green" day overall, market is getting "weird" with the high P/E, speculative stocks.

My "big gainers" for the day were $KR, $F, $LVS.
Meh, Rivian is back to $118 at the moment

·
Premium Member
11,339 Posts
The thing is, Ford was already well on its way with its own Lincoln Midsize Crossover EV at the time. Why they had a parallel product with Rivian was perplexing to me unless they planned to drop the GE2 Lincoln in favor of the Rivian. I know the teams working on those GE2 EVs were in the dark on the Rivian deal, it was almost like a small skunk-works team were involved with drawing up the Lincoln Rivian. The GE2 was always scheduled for 2023MY, the Rivian would have been 2022. I tell ya, there is an interesting story in there somewhere, sadly I don't think it will ever be told.

Although Ford was deep in Lighting development at the time, Ford hadn't yet greenlit and funded the TE1 platform, the one that underpins the 2026+ Lightning, Expedition, Navigator, Vans, etc. The big flaw with the Lighting is that it's a one-off platform, unlike GM's platform which is flexible and can underpin way more vehicle types. Ford won't have that until 2026+. Rivian's platform would have given them that capability, but they ultimately couldn't do that anyway with a JV program anyway.

From an EV platform perspective, Ford is very good shape with GE2 and is ahead of curve. Where they are likely lagging GM is in full-size EVs, the Lightning is very much a conversion design, it's not a real EV platform that can underpin multiple vehicles. Although they will sell plenty of Lightnings, that's basically the best they can do for now on the full-size truck, SUV, and van front.
Ford has a tendency to say stuff and then go off the boil with delays and if battery production runs into delays for whatever, it will be 2023 before they get any significant sales out the gate. I mean, look at Escape PHEV, delayed for ages because of contamination in batteries and still to really kick into gear.

·
Registered
359 Posts
In these rapidly changing times, I am not surprised by big shifts in strategies that better align with less risk or even more risk, depending on many factors. I don't know much about the Lightening platform, but from what I have seen, it is not exactly all new, just a heavy mod to existing F150. Not really a big deal if a one-off then, as that is practically it's own brand and will sell many. That said, one would expect that Expedition would share the platfom. Is that not the case? Seems perfectly suited in fact.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sold ASAP after I heard it.
Then stood on the sidelines and watched it lose 10%+ today.
Missing the point......the Amazon deal was announced months ago well before Rivian went public for you to have been able to buy any. So I'm not sure how you supposedly bought some, AND sold it after the Amazon news, all before the stock was even public?

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Missing the point......the Amazon deal was announced months ago well before Rivian went public for you to have been able to buy any. So I'm not sure how you supposedly bought some, AND sold it after the Amazon news, all before the stock was even public?
This article is dated 11/19/21.
That's when "Ford drops plan for Rivian powered EV" was widely reported.
Nothing to do with Amazon.

As soon as I saw it, I took the money I made and ran.
They're still down a decent chunk since I did it... up a little today... we'll see if it sticks.
It looks like the market's might be done being spooked by this.
So I'm sure I'll be jumping back in after Turkey Day.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
This article is dated 11/19/21.
That's when "Ford drops plan for Rivian powered EV" was widely reported.
Nothing to do with Amazon.

As soon as I saw it, I took the money I made and ran.
They're still down a decent chunk since I did it... up a little today... we'll see if it sticks.
It looks like the market's might be done being spooked by this.
So I'm sure I'll be jumping back in after Turkey Day.
I see.........well in the comment I quoted, you were directly responding to a comment about the Amazon vans
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia

Seemed as though you were talking about the Amazon news, but I understand now.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts