GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. is studying three existing platforms to figure out a way to build the Bronco SUV concept shown at the North American International Auto Show.

The Bronco, if approved for production, would give Ford Division a low-priced SUV below the Escape in size and price. Candidates are the platforms that underpin the Escape, the Brazilian-made EcoSport sport wagon and the Ranger pickup, says J Mays, Ford group vice president of design. The first two are unibody platforms, and the third is an aging body-on-frame platform.

Phil Martens, Ford's product development chief, says the Bronco must be built off an existing platform if approved. That sentiment reflects Ford's renewed discipline on platform sharing, parts carry-over and budget-minded product development.

The 2005 Escape starts at $19,855, including destination charges. That suggests prices for a production Bronco would start at around $18,000 or less.

The tough, spare look of the Bronco concept, penned by designer Joe Baker, evokes the original Bronco introduced in 1965. Ford wanted to return to "the idea of an SUV as a piece of equipment rather than a status symbol," Mays said. "All of the SUVs in this hall (at the Detroit show) are status symbols. That's not what the SUV was at its inception."

Off-road capability is important, Ford executives say. The concept Bronco is built on the Escape platform. Ford executives stressed that the Escape can go off-road.

But "if the stars were right, I would prefer to have it on a body-on-frame," Mays said.That points to the Ranger platform. But it is old; the Ranger's last major redesign came in 1993. And Ford COO Nick Scheele said the Ranger frame probably is too big for the Bronco.

Read More

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
:lol: Return of the Bronco II...good going Ford!

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
What bugs me is the Bronco as SUV-equipment over SUV-status. Yeah, part of the appeal of the SUV is its "equipment" utility, but the rougher-riding body-on-frame SUV's (Wrangler, Tracker), take a back seat to the unibodies.

That said, the Bronco is a very cool concept, and very loyal to its heritage. The first-gen Broncos (B1's?) have a lot of fans, my whole family included. I think that it would have a lot more "Real 4x4" appeal than the Liberty, and it would be very attractive to the ZR2 Blazer fans, especially if the price goals can be met.

Dunno how many they can sell, I like the idea of having to seek out a bunch of mud so that I can use my cheap, tough-looking real off-roader. With the Colorado platform seemingly upmarket of where the Bronco would show up, and the Kappa not being 4x4-capable, Ford might have the market to themselves with a future Ranger platform.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
what are those people at ford thinking.. "lets bring back and name that has a strong history of rollovers, tire seperation and lets make it really small so it'll be crushed by real SUV's" or was that the explorer.. ahhhhhhhh who cares, just sounds like another mistake by ford, lets root em out.. maybe they'll bring back the probe while there at it.

133 Posts
The Bronco being more tinny than the Escape. That sounds lame. I think Ford needs a tough rugged 4x4. That is what the Bronco initially was. The Explorer and Expedition to me seem more like a freeway-type 4x4. Something you may take skiing, but not something you would use do keep track of your farm, or do some hard core off-roading.

The F250 and F350 are tough and rugged, I can see the Bronco following along those lines.

Well, that's my opinion.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hello Im a new in the forum comments. I strive to be a non-bioast car enthusest. I have to admit I like the looks of the Bronco concept (style wize). Looks Like a fun sized Tonka truck for grown ups. I understand ford's rep may not be all that great right now from their past and such, but It looks like ford is actually starting to do some good and may be seting up for a turn around these days. This bronco I read is to compete with the popular Jeep wrangler. The Wrangler is also a small capable and "tough" off-roader. I'm actually happy for Ford, But well have to wait & see about their actuall production model before we get too dissapointed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a hard core Early Bronco enthusiast, I was excited to hear that Ford is doing something with the Bronco nameplate, but I'm dismayed to now hear that it might be a unibodied smaller than Escape sized vehicle. The original Bronco was made to be a serious off road vehicle to compete with Jeep. The new vehicle needs to do the same thing. It needs to be simple, rugged, on frame, and easy to modify. A vehicle with a solid front axle would be great. It needs to be a vehicle that can kick the crap out of the Jeep Rubicon. It hurts to read this new news... ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Seeing Bronco IIs on 3 wheels on city streets
was not an uncommon sight during the 1990s.
Those things were dangerous as hell.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@Jan 20 2004, 02:34 PM
Seeing Bronco IIs on 3 wheels on city streets
was not an uncommon sight during the 1990s.
Those things were dangerous as hell.
A simple driving course and learning the limits of your vehicle will fix that.

I definately agree that if they build a new bronco, it needs to be body on frame and solid front axel all the way! There's already enough sissy 'off-road' suvs out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not normally a fan of ford, but I think they may have something, especially if they use metal instead of all the plastic trim pieces that are so common now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
any who one knows photoshop want to put OJ in the new bronco And post it for "heretage" reflections?
:roflmao:

This bronco Is suppost to be on the supportive side of technology. Ranger Ain't Technology prone enough to be shared. Do it right or Dont Do it at all is what I say.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by zhat@Jan 20 2004, 06:40 PM
As a hard core Early Bronco enthusiast, I was excited to hear that Ford is doing something with the Bronco nameplate, but I'm dismayed to now hear that it might be a unibodied smaller than Escape sized vehicle.  The original Bronco was made to be a serious off road vehicle to compete with Jeep.  The new vehicle needs to do the same thing.  It needs to be simple, rugged, on frame, and easy to modify.  A vehicle with a solid front axle would be great.  It needs to be a vehicle that can kick the crap out of the Jeep Rubicon.  It hurts to read this new news... ;)
The proportions of the concept are alot like the original Bronco's. And I understand Nick Scheele wants to do it on a frame. Unfortunately, they will never be able to certify the steel dash. But the thing will be a huge hit if they keep it in the spirit of the concept. We need an alternative to the Wrangler and $35K Hummer H3s.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by xellow@Jan 20 2004, 07:21 PM
any who one knows photoshop want to put OJ in the new bronco And post it for "heretage" reflections?

This bronco Is suppost to be on the supportive side of technology. Ranger Ain't Technology prone enough to be shared. Do it right or Dont Do it at all is what I say.
:roflmao: I'd buy 1!!!!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by xellow@Jan 20 2004, 05:21 PM
Ah- I think Mr. (Ms.?) Jackson should be the Bronco driver of this decade.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
base it on the Ka for all I care. Its just another suv to me. and its got a blue oval on it, so i could care less.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by roberto_h17@Jan 20 2004, 10:27 PM
I think the bronco have to be built on the escape or ranger plataforms, because the Brazilian EcoSport is Smaller than a Focus, is 4 cilynder,standard and Frontweeldrive
I think the bronco needs a V8 engine and a size like the f-150

look at this
http://www.ford.com.mx/showroom.asp?model=...2831f2b1e970cda
My feeling is that this has to be MUCH smaller than an F-Series...like the original Bronco. Something cheap and easy off of the Ranger platform would be good to compete with the likes of the Wrangler and the Xterra. While the EcoSport size wouldn't be bad (or the right four-cylinder), the unibody setup doesn't fit my mental image of a Bronco.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts