GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is aiming its re-engineered 2005 F-series Super Duty pickup at General Motors' dominance in gasoline-powered heavy pickups.

Ford is boosting the horsepower of gasoline engines on F-250 and F-350 pickups debuting this summer.

Ford remains the overall sales leader in the heavy pickup, or 8,500-pound-plus, segment. But Ford has lagged in gasoline engine sales, which represent about one-third of the segment.

"Right now, GM leads in gasoline," said Bill Osborne, executive director of Ford's pickup and commercial vehicle platforms. "We want to lead in gasoline the way we lead in diesel."

Through May, GM held a 50 percent share of gasoline-powered heavy-truck sales, according to R.L. Polk data provided by Ford. Ford's share was 38 percent, followed by Dodge at 12 percent. In diesel engines, Ford held a 51 percent share for the same period, followed by GM at 25 percent and Dodge at 24 percent.

For the 2005 model Super Duty, Ford is offering gasoline engines with three valves per cylinder, rather than two. Horsepower on the 5.4-liter V-8 engine increases 13 percent to 300. Horsepower on the 6.8-liter V-10 engine also jumps by 13 percent to 355.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
24 Posts
From 275 up to 355 eh? It's about time...

Is it just me, or has the Ford Triton 6.8L V10 been an absolute DOG for horsepower relative to its displacement and cylinder layout since its introduction? I don't recall exactly what that engine's torque was, but it wasn't impressive.

It's about time this motor starts making real HP - for crying out loud - GM's 6.0HO V8 makes 340hp/380 torque, Ford's 6.8L V10 can't make more?

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
No Ford uprated the motor to 310 hp and 420 lb ft back in 01' I believe. And Dodges 8.0liter V-10 was only rated at 300 hp with 1.2 liters more displacement.
I like the 8100's numbers 340 hp and 455 lb ft of torque!

·
Registered
723 Posts
GM I know that you're going to up the HP and TQ ratings and surpass the FOUND ON ROAD DEAD brand, don't even let them pass you by. Dodge I can deal with but Ford, no no no no no no

·
Registered
314 Posts
Still not impressed with ford's HP increase.

A V-10 Making HP ratings barily above the LD RAM's V8 5.7 Hemi, Shame shame.

Ford needs to do to all their engines what they did to their 05 Mustang 4.6l.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ill say it again (Chevy gots the Cubes, Ford gots the Superchargers, and Dodge gots the Hemis), but seriously for me i think the big block 8100 can out surpass Fords V-10,that given the 8100 punches out 340hp at 455ft lbs of torque, a couple more tweaks and upgrades on the big beast you got a 500 horsepower and then some torque. :mrt: then we got something to talk about!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by #3Chevy@Jul 9 2004, 05:03 PM
ill say it again (Chevy gots the Cubes, Ford gots the Superchargers, and Dodge gots the Hemis), but seriously for me i think the big block 8100 can out surpass Fords V-10,that given the 8100 punches out 340hp at 455ft lbs of torque, a couple more tweaks and upgrades on the big beast you got a 500 horsepower and then some torque. :mrt: then we got something to talk about!
But will Chevy do it, or will they wait another year to do it, the whole damn truck market anymore is all about power and torque and I want GM to always be on top, especially against the F**ked On Race Day brand

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont know, but i know The General has the potential of doing it, i mean look at there engine line up they got the 4.8 all the way thru 8.1 big block and who knows maybe they might come up with a V-10, and for instances they got the Blue Devil coming out with 755 Horse's and im pretty sure that isnt even equipped with a supercharger. alot of people are always complaing and whining that the SS Silverado isnt in the league with the Lighting or the SRT-10, for all i know Chevy can slap a Supercharger from Ford since that company is always using superchargers for there lightings and put in on the HO Vortec 6000 i heard the HO 6000 can produce more Horses and Torque but Chevy had to detune it to match the AWD stability for the SS Silverado. Thats why i go the Chevy brand they got the talent to outsurpass the competition but it may not be now or next year but im gonna be there to see it when they do.

Chevy all the way1 :afro:

·
Registered
579 Posts
The updated v10 is just a stop-gap untill the new "Hurricane" v8 family is out, which should be a lot more affordable than the mod' v10.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The first thing that GM has to do is come out with a top of the line diesel to compete with the Ford's. They have a commanding lead in gas trucks. Give us the diesels!

·
Registered
20 Posts
while the LLY Duramax gots the Baby Stroke beat cause it gots an extra 10 pounds of torque, and i heard discussion about a bigger diesel in 2008, and plus Chevy doesnt need a superhero name like the hurricane just to intimadate the competition Chevy could answer with a big block hell they could probably use the big block 502 and they will definately smoke the competition. :mrt:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by ibechip@Jul 10 2004, 12:45 AM
The first thing that GM has to do is come out with a top of the line diesel to compete with the Ford's. They have a commanding lead in gas trucks. Give us the diesels!
I think the GM diesels are much better, they don't sound like they are falling apart and the Ford is cheaper last I checked.

·
Registered
225 Posts
GM can use a supercharge just as good as ford can. L67 any one? (granted its an eaton m90 roots blower, but if they really wanted to they could hook up a good whipple or keen bell and smack every one around.)

The Ford Lighting, is a good truck, its fast and can still tow stuff
THe Silverado SS needs to be at least as fast as the lighting, and still tow stuff
The SRT-10.. its a truck thats godly fast, but you cant tow any thing with it.. which defeats the whole prupose of having a truck..

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Originally posted by xellow@Jul 9 2004, 09:52 PM
Still not impressed with ford's HP increase.

A V-10 Making HP ratings barily above the LD RAM's V8 5.7 Hemi, Shame shame.

Ford needs to do to all their engines what they did to their 05 Mustang 4.6l.
When towing the torque is alot more critical than Horsepower. Ford's V10 make 455 ft lbs, the Hemi you are comparing it to only makes like 370 ft lbs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The old Buick 455 made 510 ft lbs at like 2500 RPM, they should just dust off the old 430 (it made 475 ft lbs) and 455 engines, update for fule econmoy and to run off todays gas. (I'd buy a fule injected 455 that got more than 10 MPG.. )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts