GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford announces Godzilla V8-based Megazilla crate engine
Will it offer twice the Godzilla's horsepower?
RONAN GLON
Dec 4th 2020
autoblog.com

Crate engines are the part of the horsepower iceberg that most motorists never see, but the competition between Ford and Chrysler is just as fierce in the parts department as it is on the sales floor. Proof is that the Blue Oval announced a mysterious V8 named Megazilla that could arrive as its answer to Mopar's Hellephant V8.

"We're also working on a super-secret project known as the Megazilla. It's going to increase the power output from the 430 horsepower that comes from the production crate engine," revealed Ford Performance product manager Mike Goodwin in a video showcasing the Godzilla engine. He added more details will be released soon.

While that's a rather thin crust of information to dig through, it's reasonable to assume the Megazilla will be an evolution of the Godzilla V8, which started life in the Super Duty pickup truck and joined Ford's growing catalog of crate engines in summer 2020. Goodwin didn't say how much more power engineers can knead out of the eight-cylinder, but it's reasonable to assume they'll favor forced induction over more displacement. Godzilla is a naturally-aspirated, 7.3-liter eight-cylinder with push rods and an iron block that produces 430 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque in its standard configuration. There's plenty of room to increase — and possibly even double — those figures by simply topping it with a supercharger.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

·
Premium Member
32,703 Posts
Iron Block means you sink nose first.. if you ask me.. if you must stay with Ford Pawa, go with the Ecoboost.. otherwise, stay with the true and tried aluminum block small block.. thank you very much...

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Iron Block=Dependability
24 years of aluminum block LS's beg to differ. For anything outside a 3/4 ton truck, I'll take the weight savings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Iron Block=Dependability
This is true and this kind of reliability is very important for certain commercial or industrial applications. However, I doubt that the large mass of this big engine is the best option for performance. Especially since Ford may add a forced induction system that will add mass.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ford has their plasma arc coating technology they patented that replaces cast-in iron liners. Worked great in several high performance engines. I would expect an all new aluminum block shared with a de-stroked 6.8L. That would work beautiful for Mustang, F150 and Ford Performance.

·
Premium Member
32,703 Posts
This is true and this kind of reliability is very important for certain commercial or industrial applications. However, I doubt that the large mass of this big engine is the best option for performance. Especially since Ford may add a forced induction system that will add mass.
I tell you, its like pushing a rock along in your car.

Ford has their plasma arc coating technology they patented that replaces cast-in iron liners. Worked great in several high performance engines. I would expect an all new aluminum block shared with a de-stroked 6.8L. That would work beautiful for Mustang, F150 and Ford Performance.
Plasma Arc Coating is a common industrial application. Molten or semi-molten material is used to create a hard coating that protects against oxidation and corrosion wear caused by environmental and operating conditions. The coatings are dense and strong, making plasma coating a favorable option for equipment protection and refinishing.
Ford has a particular patent in this area
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...plasma-process-that-can-save-an-engine-f.html

General Motors has a Laser coating patent along the same lines
https://patents.justia.com/patent/10662891
Seems to me its nothing special.
It would seem GE also has a patent for a similar industrial application
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5817371A/en

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Maybe people will start putting Ford motors into old Fords. It always brings a smile to my face when I see a shiny new LS motor in a classic Ford.
Coyotes' have become popular with Rodders lately, I would say \more popular than LS, in Fords watching B-J auction this year.

I wonder if this will get Marinized anytime in the Future. The loss of the 454 has them scrambling.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Iron Block means you sink nose first.. if you ask me.. if you must stay with Ford Pawa, go with the Ecoboost.. otherwise, stay with the true and tried aluminum block small block.. thank you very much...
Currently, the 7.3 is 130 lbs heavier than an atmo Coyote but if the HiPo 6.8 is made with an alloy block, the weights will be line ball.

·
Registered
290 Posts
430hp "production crate engine"? Does he mean production engine? Why would the crate engine rate exactly the same as the production engine? Wouldn't that just be a replacement engine?

Hate to say that, especially now that I have a coyote F150 now, but this reflects the long, long history of Ford as never settling on a basic architecture, but developing and reinventing the V8 wheel over and over and over and over and over and over.

You have the Coyote 5.0, 6.2 ohc 'big block' with bigger bore centers and then the 7.3 pushrod that's yet another design, while GM - and Dodge/ram for that matter, still gets by with one basic V8 design.

·
Premium Member
32,703 Posts
Coyotes' have become popular with Rodders lately, I would say \more popular than LS, in Fords watching B-J auction this year.

I wonder if this will get Marinized anytime in the Future. The loss of the 454 has them scrambling.
LS is just one in a long line of Chevrolet offerings.

TheLSX for example is a bad bwoy, in its zz-572-720-r trim, big block, it packs 727 HP and 680 pounds feet of torques without blowers.. or forced induction

That is a lot of power.

·
Registered
190 Posts
GM: you must buy our electric weenie mobiles as we will stop building anything that uses gas because the tree huggers tell us so.

Ford: Here’s an all new big honkin cast iron big block V8.

Proof that Ford is still alive and GM is dead to me.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
The 7.3 has already shown impressive gains with just a cam, CNC ported stock heads and a new intake. It still has a ton of potential.

If I didn’t know better, I’d say that Brian Wolfe’s team just developed a bigger better Ford version of the LS....

Seriously, this is the foundation that Ford should have used back in 2010 instead of the 6.2 Boss, a 6.2 and a 7.3 pushrod engine series back then could have done so much more for Ford’s entire truck and van range.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
GM: you must buy our electric weenie mobiles as we will stop building anything that uses gas because the tree huggers tell us so.

Ford: Here’s an all new big honkin cast iron big block V8.

Proof that Ford is still alive and GM is dead to me.
Well...GM still makes v8. LT5, LT2, L8T etc. Rumors are there will be v8 Twin turbo in future c8 (don't know if it will be a DOHC or cam in block).
And Ford also makes electric vehicles (Mach e-GT).
As I recall Cadillac is supposed to be first brand from GM to go full electric lineup (Hummer not included). It is not like they are at top of the buyer's list in any market at the moment. So they might as well try something else.
At the moment EV doesn't sale in such large number in U.S.A (i think around 300 000+) and in Europe (500 000+ and rising) where Cadillac is not present, but in the future who knows (China is also a major player here). Maybe not in 10 years but after that. For example if i remember correctly Porsche Taycan is 3rd best selling Porsche this year in USA, and Porsche is planning to go full electric with Macan and Cayenne if rumors are correct.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The 7.3 has already shown impressive gains with just a cam, CNC ported stock heads and a new intake. It still has a ton of potential.

If I didn’t know better, I’d say that Brian Wolfe’s team just developed a bigger better Ford version of the LS....

Seriously, this is the foundation that Ford should have used back in 2010 instead of the 6.2 Boss, a 6.2 and a 7.3 pushrod engine series back then could have done so much more for Ford’s entire truck and van range.

I don't know, Ford was still gung ho on their OHC architecture and modular family. Extension of what they were comfortable with. I try never to think shudawudacuda. I mean, one could take GM's new OHC V8 engines, which I am sure will be impressive, and think the same thing. There are pro-cons on both sides and no absolute clear engineering choice afaiac.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts