GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Motor Co., which successfully revamped its stalwart F-150 pickup last year, is now beefing up its Super Duty F-Series lineup.

To maintain its longtime leadership in the growing heavy-duty truck market, Ford’s redesigned 2005 Super Duty pickups — due in showrooms by September — will offer greater hauling and towing capability than the current model.

“This vehicle is certainly needed out there,” said Bob Thibodeau, president of Bob Thibodeau Ford in Center Line. “Ever drive up I-75 in the wintertime? Ever see how many snowmobiles are being pulled?”

With annual sales of about 350,000 units, the Super Duty line accounts for 40 percent of Ford’s total pickup volume and a hefty chunk of the automaker’s annual revenues and profits.

Ford controls more than 45 percent of the lucrative heavy-duty segment — pickups that weigh more than 8,500 pounds. Spurred by a rebounding U.S. economy, growing personal use and new models from Chevy and Dodge, sales in the heavy-duty truck segment have grown more than 16 percent this year. By contrast, overall U.S. car and truck sales are up just 3.1 percent.

The 2005 Ford Super Duty truck can carry a maximum payload of 5,800 pounds and boasts a towing capacity of 17,000 pounds.

“This truck is all about capability and control,” said Susan Dehne, chief engineer for the new F-Series Super Duty. “Knowing 90 percent of our customers tow trailers, towing had to be a priority in our improvement.”

In an effort to distinguish the new model from Dodge and Chevy rivals, Ford is making an electronic trailer brake controller available for 2005. The device synchronizes the vehicle’s brakes with the trailer’s brakes, providing smoother, safer stopping.

Full Story HERE

5,934 Posts
Cool. The Ford Super Duties don't need much else. I'm hoping to buy a used one this fall to help me get through these Iowa winters. Being from the desert I t'ain't used to these tough winters.

May get a snow plow for the front and make some extra money from the city or county.

adios

:afro:

·
Registered
579 Posts
With the market growing like it is GM and maybe Dodge would be well advised to build a true heavy-duty truck like Ford, not a beefed-up light truck. Even if the heavy-duty Ram and Silverado perform just as well as the SuperDuty the preception is that they aren't as tough, and that counts for a lot.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Before you bash the new 6L Powerstroke diesel, go and test drive one. If you've already done so then please explain why you find them inferior to everything else available on the market.

Other than the front end and the dash, this is no different than the current model, on the outside at least.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003@May 25 2004, 05:44 AM
Before you bash the new 6L Powerstroke diesel, go and test drive one. If you've already done so then please explain why you find them inferior to everything else available on the market.

Other than the front end and the dash, this is no different than the current model, on the outside at least.
I have driven one, and my friend did also, and went with the older 7.3 powerstroke. My friend got news of the problems they were having with the 6.0 with the PCM's and fuel injectors.

·
Registered
723 Posts
It's the fact that it's still FOUND ON ROAD DEAD. No matter what they do to them. A friend of mine had a 7.3Liter POWERJOKE and was nothin but trouble. I personnally think they are junk and sound like it too. GM and Dodge have diesels that don't sound like they are falling apart. I also understand Ford is upping the power ratings on the 6.8 V10, GIVE IT UP!!! GM will top that with it's 8.1.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@May 24 2004, 03:36 PM
Ford has the ugliest damn steering wheels, even worse than Saturn
it's not so much that the steering wheel is ugly, it simply looks out of place on that dashboard

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+May 24 2004, 11:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ May 24 2004, 11:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dumb_Ass_2003@May 25 2004, 05:44 AM
Before you bash the new 6L Powerstroke diesel, go and test drive one.  If you've already done so then please explain why you find them inferior to everything else available on the market.

I have driven one, and my friend did also, and went with the older 7.3 powerstroke. My friend got news of the problems they were having with the 6.0 with the PCM's and fuel injectors. [/b][/quote]
My dad's '03 F-350 needed only a single quick reprogram and it's worked perfectly ever since. Also with that thing chipped it flies like one fast mofo!

Why would you prefer the old 7.3L to the new 6.0L? The 7.3L was a noisy rattling beast compared to the smooth 6L, and I'm not even gonna touch on the 7.3L's turbo lag.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Originally posted by bakerna+May 25 2004, 01:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bakerna @ May 25 2004, 01:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-giagastormer@May 24 2004, 03:36 PM
Ford has the ugliest damn steering wheels, even worse than Saturn
it's not so much that the steering wheel is ugly, it simply looks out of place on that dashboard [/b][/quote]
no, its definately the steering wheel

·
Registered
554 Posts
My mom has an Expedition. Every six months she has to take it into the Ford service shop because there was water in the spark plugs. This went on for maybe two years.

My friends F-150 Lariat had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM!! Him and his dad spent a whole weekend plastering and sealing everything close to the spark plugs... Both had the 5.4L V-8 Triton. Triton my ***..... :flush:

And would you know it my friend traded his F-150 in for a Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V,(????) and my mom is looking into getting an Izuzu Rodeo.

My girlfriend has a Tauras, the air doesn't work, it drives like crap, eats gas and just recently the brakes went.... she has 98,000 miles on it, but that's no excuse since my Malibu has 108,000 and is still going strong :woot2: !!!

I'm still waiting for the whole "Ford Tough" part to kick in... <_<

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@May 26 2004, 12:00 PM
Yea "Fords" diesel isn't as good as "GM's" diesel :rolleyes: Who makes these motors again....
And did you think this when GM had the 6.5L? and Ford had the 7.3L International?

Truth is they are both damn good diesels and both GM and Ford have come along ways in refining the light duty truck diesels. We owe all three a thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts