GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
On average, Ford sells around 16,000 examples of the Ecoboost V6 f150 every month, has done so
for the past three yearsand then you have some examples in Taurus, MKS, Flex and MKT.

All of this ads up to a pretty fuss free engine with a few problem examples just like almost
every other volume engine maker gets.

Complain all you like about the V6 Ecoboost but F150 customers are speaking with their wallets,
have done so for years and that's all that matters to Ford, profit and satisfied customers.

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
There's a good article on the Ecoboost problem including the fixes HERE

The problem has a cure, a diverted on the inlet tract, a new design CAC and a software update
to stop the truck going into limp mode. The annoying Part is that Ford did not make these upgrades
available to all F150 EB owner as a no charge TSB upgrade - the dollars got in the way of doing the right thing.

The least they should be doing is looking after affected owners who live in areas of high humidity and low Dew point.
All new F150 EBs have had these changes for a while now so the frequency of these complaints should be negligible.

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
I think that we're seeing quite a few problems with the EB already, I just wonder how this things going to hold up 7-8 years from now. Remember...truck buyers tend to keep their rig's a bit longer than car owners. I can see the EB costing a whole lot to fix/maintain in long term ownership.
Then they will have a lot of company because there has been around 300,000 Ecoboost V6 F150 built so far.

I think the panacea of disaster is basically a luddite fear of technology and suspicion of all things complicated
being bad. It's no different to people fearing rebuilds on 8-speed autos, problems with Direct Injectors ect...

I see future rebuilds of Ecoboost V6 engines as a great opportunity for the aftermarket to step in and offer
massive power up rebuild deals for Buyers. Once all of the problems are exposed and known, you can bet the
aftermarket will be the F150 owner's new best friend, Ford will have no interest in seven year old trucks.

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
The level of spin, and the level of Ford apologists on this great site has grown to a point that Ford is almost always held in a favorable light. Direct injection turbocharged gasoline engines have their own inherent issues , and quite simply if their longevity was as most assume it to be over the road trucks would utilize this engine concept.

To the original poster welcome to GMi, and we hope that you will stay. Please enjoy the community , and do not let this thread lead you to believe that this great site isn't a safe haven for those that own, and hold GM in high regard.
The issue as I see it is not the Ecoboost engine as such, it is Ford not stepping in to remedy problems.
None of this needed to be an issue if Ford made good on its word and helped a few affected buyers.

A bit of sympathy and assistance to owners in trouble is worth millions in good PR and advertising..
I thought Ford would be on board with this idea and turn it into positive spin.... oh well, silly me.:)

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
Remember too that Derrick Kuzak was touting Ecoboost and 20% fuel economy improvement over larger NA engines
well before Ford NA power train were given the opportunity to review and validate claims made under ECE test cycles.

While I think the US did a good job, I can certainly appreciate that they must have been under the pump to get so
much right, a credible effort IMO but one lacking that design and engineering maturity that is the hallmark of a
thoroughly reliable engine under all conditions even the most inexplicable.

If indeed this is a small percentage of vehicles that are affected, I cannot understand why Ford just doesn't pony up.
and if the complaints are more widespread, why are there no class actions suits?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.