GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I don't think he's trolling but as A123 points out there are so many unknown variables that's it's hard to say what truly happened. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of statistical evidence to say this is a widespread EB problem but at the same time it may be something that's at least on Ford's radar. The oddest part about this story is when it's told here he terms it as he was talked into a F150 against his better judgement and how he should've gone with GM in the first place. However, when he tells this story at F150Forum (doing a Google search on "Ecoboom F150" isn't hard) he says he just loves this truck, it's roomy and gets great gas mileage. So he comes here and says he wishes he bought a GM truck but goes to a F150 site and says he loves the truck? And as Michael_S so astutely asked, if you knew you'd be driving 70k miles in less than a year and a half why wouldn't you buy an extended warranty?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
5.3 has been around since... 2000? EB... 2011.
Ok. So using completely unscientific Google search results as data we can determine that with 182,000 hits in 3 model years that's 60,666 "failures" per year. Using the same criteria for the 14 model years of the 5.3 and returning 3,160,000 hits that the 5.3 has had 225,714 "failures" per year or roughly 3.7x greater failure rate than the EB. Math is a bitch when it doesn't go your way. I'm not arguing in any way, form or fashion that the EB is more reliable than the 5.3. What I am saying is that using Google as any type of indicator of reliability is poor at best. Now, if there was some type of report that showed the 3.5 EB was suffering 5% failure rates versus an industry standard of 1% (numbers are made up) than I would absolutely agree that the EB has problems.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
That's the point. Searching "ecoboost failures" and then using the search results as any form of data doesn't tell you anything. It was suggested to search 'ecoboost failures' to look at the volume of search results. I said to perform the same with 'GM 5.3 failures' to show how utterly ridiculous that is as the number of search results was freakishly high and didn't really show anything. It was then implied (and thanked by you) that the reason there were so many more search results for the GM 5.3 was because it's been in service since 2000 and the 3.5 has only been here since 2011. I simply used that same logic to show, that per year in service given the search results, that per year it was still higher for the GM. Of course this doesn't show actual reliability ratings for either motor which just reinforces the silliness of searching for "X Engine Failure" and using the results to signify any real data.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
View attachment 12706

This is why you gotta love GM, the sales manager listened to my story, Unfortunatly he could not give me less than half of what I owe on the Ford...So he sold me a new truck... !!! Go Figure...... But he told me to get the ebay motorand istall it in the truck then bring it back to him and he would sell it for me to pay off the loan on it and get me some extra for it as well.... Who said customer service is dead... :)
Kudos to this dealer! I would suggest sticking with this one for future products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts