1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J.P. Vettraino -
October 9, 2014

2015 F-150 will offer a new small V6 with tons of technology

Some of the biggest news in the 2015 Ford F-150 sits under its big, wide hood, and the source is rather small. Ford is taking advantage of the aluminum pickup’s weight reduction to downsize its engine line again.

The largest engine offered in the 2014 F-150 — a 6.2-liter V8 — disappears for 2015. The new F-150's base V6 shrinks from 3.7 to 3.5 liters. Lastly, or maybe first, there’s the clean-sheet, Dearborn-engineered 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6.

How small is that? The 2.7 EcoBoost is the smallest engine in 68 years of F-Series production, including trucks built with small diesels for off-shore sale. It’s the smallest engine in any full-size pickup built by the Detroit Three since World War II, including the 170-cid, slant-six Dodge D100 in the 1960s. It’s smaller than the V6s in the current Nissan Frontier or Chevy Colorado, and exactly the same size as the base four-cylinder in the compact Toyota Tacoma.

You get it. As big ol’ pickup engines go, the 2.7 EcoBoost is tiny, but it’s hardly weak. With direct fuel injection, 30 degrees of intake and exhaust cam phasing, 17-18 pounds of boost and maximum cylinder pressure of about 2,000 psi (compared to 2,600 psi in the typical diesel), the 2.7-liter EcoBoost generates 325 hp and 375 lb-ft of torque. It packs power densely in a small, light package, and it’s loaded with technologies we haven’t seen much in mainstream production engines.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ford-27-liter-ecoboost-v6-deep-dive

·
Registered
593 Posts
It certainly seems to have the makings of a great little motor... I look forward to seeing some real-world reviews of them as they get rolled out.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm still not sold - it takes air and fuel to make power, whether than be by turbocharging / ramming the air into a smaller engine, or increasing displacement to get power. I just look at the LT-1 in the Corvette - 460 hp and almost 30 mpg, and I have to lean towards larger displacement-on-demand engines that don't get subjected to massive internal forces day after day... I think GM needs to stay on their course, and the next update to the current engines should keep them 'in the hunt'.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just do not see too many early adopters of the 2.7. The 3.5 yeah but for the majority of the buyers the product mix will schew to the larger eco-boost and 5.0.
I have posted the mix in another post on another thread but for 60-70 % of people will not be purchasing the base na v6 or the smaller turbo v6.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Welcome to Ford Inside News. After nearly two days of the Camaro Vid holding the top Ticker spot with no new GM related entries we get Ford news while meantime a noted analyst downgraded GMs rating causing stock prices to fall below IPO price....Barra gives a major speech to a convention of Fortune's Top 100 Women where she outlines the five behavior changes she will champion at GM, including her own ("I've been too nice and that will stop")....Spark sales top 1,000,000 world wide ...De Nysschen announces there will be 5 new Cadillacs by 2020........all of which apparently aren't news worthy and of interest to GMIers. So lets get back to Ford, shall we?

·
Banned
228 Posts
hey goat,
you don't have to read the Ford news. And maybe GM fans are just tired of all the recall news.

Anyway,
I would guess that the same people who did not expect many D35 GTDI sales in a truck, are now saying the same about the 2.7L GTDI. Where this new smaller boosted engine shines is in power delivery with gobs of torque right off idle, which means you don't have to work that engine as hard. And by work, I mean rpm's, which also requires more fuel.

So a compact, power dense motor in a much lighter truck means a good balance.
Can't wait to drive one.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm not sure why people are already thinking this engine is **** because it's turbocharged. You can build a turbo engine to run as long as anything out there. Take a look at a high-compression diesels that run high psi on a compression ratio of 20:1. OMG, it's going to fall apart after 100 miles, but instead half a million miles is nothing. Sure gassers are different, but in the end a lot of the same things apply.

I think my L33, Vortec 350, in my old the GMT 400 is plenty zippy with a 4L60E behind it, in a truck that is about 5500 lbs. with a full tank of gas. What will a lighter truck, with couple more gears, and additional 70 HP and 50 lbs. of tq. do?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to Ford Inside News. After nearly two days of the Camaro Vid holding the top Ticker spot with no new GM related entries we get Ford news while meantime a noted analyst downgraded GMs rating causing stock prices to fall below IPO price....Barra gives a major speech to a convention of Fortune's Top 100 Women where she outlines the five behavior changes she will champion at GM, including her own ("I've been too nice and that will stop")....Spark sales top 1,000,000 world wide ...De Nysschen announces there will be 5 new Cadillacs by 2020........all of which apparently aren't news worthy and of interest to GMIers. So lets get back to Ford, shall we?
So you took the time to b8tch about the lack of GM news while speaking about new GM news, but can't get off your old arse to actually post an article? Thanks for the update......typical old goat.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Couple things that bother me about this engine/article. The engine's lower crankcase is made from aluminum while the cylinder structure is made from CGI. These materials will obviously have different rates of expansion. I sure hoped they found a really great way to seal that joint and not end up with the leaks that the Northstar is famous for. Also, they mention at 375 horsepower, it would be using the same amount of fuel that the 5.0 uses. That is utterly ridiculous. Turbos are efficient because they are small, but have power when needed. However, when under boost a turbo's air fuel ratio generally has a much greater amount of fuel than a naturally aspirated engine, even considering at full throttle, N/A engines of high output are also much richer than 14.7:1. I've driven several ecoboosts as rentals in cars. If you use boost at all, the mileage goes down in a ridiculously crazy manner. Only driven with a feather foot can you come close to EPA ratings. I always try to see how much fuel economy I can get out of rentals. The EcoBoosts are the only ones I have never been able to EPA, no matter how hard I try, and I own a Prius, which I can best the EPA on, despite it being famous for not achieving it.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
So you took the time to b8tch about the lack of GM news while speaking about new GM news, but can't get off your old arse to actually post an article? Thanks for the update......typical old goat.......
Have to admit I do not know how to initiate a front page Ticker topic. Must be because I am an old goat. Seems to me the mods should have picked up on these articles. Don't have to look hard. The Barra speech has been widely reported and it doesn't take a wizard to see what is going on with the stock....which tanked before the last couple days of trading.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
From what I have been reading, nearly everything I see about GM has been PR spin and fluff. I think the downgrade may be because the business market sees the PR campaign as smoke and mirrors.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I'm still not sold - it takes air and fuel to make power, whether than be by turbocharging / ramming the air into a smaller engine, or increasing displacement to get power. I just look at the LT-1 in the Corvette - 460 hp and almost 30 mpg, and I have to lean towards larger displacement-on-demand engines that don't get subjected to massive internal forces day after day... I think GM needs to stay on their course, and the next update to the current engines should keep them 'in the hunt'.
I agree, and while I'm no engineer, I have to wonder about the reliability over time this engine will have producing such power from such a small engine. Just the pressures alone would seem to have an effect on the integrity of it. I guess we'll all see soon! This to me would definitely be not a first year purchase! Heck, the whole truck is!

·
Registered
474 Posts
It sounds like they designed it like a diesel, with the strong CGI block and strengthened components, so it shouldn't have durability issues. The strange part I see is the tow ratings on the 2.7, pretty low for the torque so I'm guessing they don't have the diesel's reliability with heavy trailers. The LT1 actually weighs less (I think) with a whole lot more power and torque; if they ever went with independent cam phasing (like the Viper V10), I'd guess the BSFC would better for the LT1 for a majority of load levels over even this fancy 2.7.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I can see the butt hurt is going to be bad on here for a few years regarding the F150 + EB. LOL!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.