1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By John McElroy
WardsAuto.com, Mar 24, 2008 11:09 AM

Commentary

Ever since Bob Lutz landed at General Motors I’ve been watching the auto maker make great progress with the products it sells.

Today GM’s design, engineering and manufacturing operations are humming in coordinated unison like they never have before. Even more impressively, they’re doing it on a global basis.

Meanwhile, across town, Ford is trying to do the same. But it got started much later and still hasn’t turned out products that are as impressive as GM’s. This led me to think that GM was at least one design cycle, about three years, ahead of Ford as they both struggle to turn themselves around.

But now I believe that in the last six months or so Ford has edged ahead of GM. Here’s why:

Last year, Ford grew its revenue by a staggering $14 billion. At GM, income actually dropped. In fact, in total revenue, Ford at $174 billion is catching up to GM at $181 billion. And it’s catching up fast. One more repeat of last year, and Ford actually will be bigger than GM on a revenue basis, though admittedly this is partly due to GM selling half of General Motors Acceptance Corp.

Even more impressively, once you get out of North America, Ford is a solidly profitable company. Last year, it earned nearly $1 billion in Europe; made more than $1 billion in South America; turned a profit in Asia/Pacific; put its Premium Automotive Group in the black; and while down, its financial operations still made more than $1 billion in profit.

The icing on the cake is Mazda now is making good money and Ford gets part of those earnings, as well.

http://wardsauto.com/commentary/ford_ahead_gm/

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Any good news for domestics is OK with me. Looking forward to getting to see an MKS in person later this year.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ford is doing much better then gm. I have been saying this for long time. Ford produces higher quality vehicles then gm (every stud will prove that). They do not use four speed as much as gm is. They are improving vehicle MPG faster then gm. Plus all of their new cars are very quiet and they are paying attechen to detailes. Plus Ford will have twin turbo engines out soon and DSG trans. Plus they are reducing fleet sales faster then gm.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Ford is doing much better then gm. I have been saying this for long time. Ford produces higher quality vehicles then gm (every stud will prove that). They do not use four speed as much as gm is. They are improving vehicle MPG faster then gm. Plus all of their new cars are very quiet and they are paying attechen to detailes. Plus Ford will have twin turbo engines out soon and DSG trans. Plus they are reducing fleet sales faster then gm.
Those are very nice subjective misguided opinions of yours alone. Too much evidence points to the contrary of your opinions.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
well considering that in 18 months Ford will have a
new Taurus, new Focus , new Fiesta, new Explorer , in a year refreshed Fusion Milan and MKZ, new MKT, refreshed Mustang and in 6 months new F150 and in 3 months MKS and Flex and the transit will be in dealers soon it looks like finally Ford has a plan that I hope helps them succeed

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
well considering that in 18 months Ford will have a new Taurus, new Focus , new Fiesta, new Explorer , in a year refreshed Fusion Milan and MKZ, new MKT, refreshed Mustang and in 6 months new F150 and in 3 months MKS and Flex and the transit will be in dealers soon it looks like finally Ford has a plan that I hope helps them succeed
Ford FTW :yup:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Ford is smaller and should be able to make changes quicker to a point than GM. But they will be a smaller car company for a long time to come but they will probably be profitable. They also still have problems like too many dealerships, small footprint in China and still haven't made a good transition on platform sharing. The platform sharing should change drastically in the next 2 years. I think it was a bad idea to use Mazda as the vehicle for sales in China. Should have made Ford the main name. Dealerships changes will take money so if they can make money, they can/will be ahead of GM on this front too. Dealership wise, they are smaller than GM but probably not by much taking sales per dealer in consideration.

Ford still needs to kill off a division (Mercury) and needs the new engines(Twin Force) to do well. No quality problems of any kind. They need the Truck redesign to fire on all cylinders as they are already looking at reduced sales targets for a truck that isn't even out yet. They need the lawsuit with Navistar to be closed since it is still considered negative publicity(Still talks about Bad quality engines). That is a lot of work to be done!

I think it is a bad year to be talking about which domestics are turning around faster. The economy is going to hurt all of them and one of them may never recover(Chrysler).

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
I almost would say yes, but the I look at cars like the Focus and.... ummmm yeah, I'm gonna have to say NO on that.
you could also said "close but no cigar" ;)

and there an article who begins to speculate on Mullaly's successor once he'll retire in 2011 http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/24/mulallys-replacement-could-come-from-within-ford-or-maybe-no

here a small exterpt
Both President of the the Americas Mark Fields and new marketing chief Jim Farley are on the short list of six execs on which the company is keeping tabs, but some less familiar names are considered, as well. Europe boss Lewis Booth, CFO Don LeClair, Europe COO Stephen Odell, and manufacturing chief Joe Heinrich round out the list of internal CEO candidates that will be given to the Ford board in the event of a Mulally exit.
If Ford chose another outsider, I have my "spider-sense" who tingle "Ghosn" :lmao::fall:

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Guys, did you read the article? He's talking about the balance sheet, not the showroom. Two different things.
I know but some posters where talking about Ford lack of product and I just wrote whats coming

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
First of all Ford's World Wide Automotive Revenue was $155.8 billion in 2007,up from 2006 which did $143.3 billion in auto revenue.

GM Global Automotive Revenue in 2007 was $178 billion in revenue,up from 2006 which did $171 billion in auto revenue.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
First of all Ford's World Wide Automotive Revenue was $155.8 billion in 2007,up from 2006 which did $143.3 billion in auto revenue.

GM Global Automotive Revenue in 2007 was $178 billion in revenue,up from 2006 which did $171 billion in auto revenue.

So even with the auto operations revenue alone Ford grew about 12 billion vs GM 7 billion and that with GM getting the money from GMAC

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
Yay?
Unless Ford revamps the Focus and the Taurus, I won't consider their turnaround completely over.
I'll second that statement.
Thing is, Ford isn't really "edging out" GM. They still are a full model cycle behind.

The difference between Ford and GM is that Ford doesn't really have the bad processes and bad business habits that GM has. Nor do they have the brand overlap and a continuing idea that the company has to provide a car for every corner of the market. Also, Ford was a more globalized company than GM was prior. That will carry over to the present day.

A new Taurus is due in ... what .. a year or 2? GM has no Impala. Malibu will be 2 years old with insufficient content to compete with Taurus, unless it's moved to Ep2.

Sure. Ford has issues -- like What to do with Mercury... and How to get Lincoln in a better position to compete with Buick.... And how in the world with Ford compete with Cadillac and the global luxury leaders...

They're not out of the woods by a long shot.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts