GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

theres the engine bay, good luck with that. I think you would be lucky to get a 3800 series in there let alone any size V8.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, I agree there's not much chance of getting a V8 in there, but then, I had no idea you could fit a Northstar in a Fiero either but somehow people have managed to shoehorn those big things in there. Go figure.

Hey, I thought Opel/Vauxhall had a Kappa type concept with a V8 in it?

·
Registered
373 Posts
:brick: Hey, justs do what they did with the camaro, shove half the motor under the dashboard.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by 91z4me@Jan 12 2004, 03:27 PM
I think it is about time to put a call into V8 Archie. :D
yep. whos got a plasma cutter, an LS1, and a T56 lying around? Lets make it happen. That would be a great project car for GMI first car!!! 450hp, supercharged LS1 6spd.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I guess someone didn't read that Vuaxhall wanted to put a V8 in it and GM said no. Guess they didn't know what they were thinking, did they.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Jan 10 2004, 11:59 PM

theres the engine bay, good luck with that. I think you would be lucky to get a 3800 series in there let alone any size V8.
wow, I didnt notice the blower on the passanger side!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by sykboy@Jan 12 2004, 06:07 PM
I guess someone didn't read that Vuaxhall wanted to put a V8 in it and GM said no. Guess they didn't know what they were thinking, did they.
yeah, but probably not a Small block V8 like we want.. probably some weak limp OHC v8 thats like 2.5 liters pushing a shade under 200 :rolleyes:

stupid europeans, minus the italians.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Ok, even if the V8 wouldn't fit - and I'm not sure you can easily tell just by looking at a photo - perhaps a 60 degree V6 would. In which case the 3.5/3.9 engine family would provide an easy 200 - 240 hp with decent torque, add a turbo or supercharger and you could easily be in the 300+ hp bracket.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Jan 10 2004, 06:59 PM

FYI guys that is the show car from 2 years ago not the production car. The production car has a much different engine bay.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by 91z4me+Jan 12 2004, 08:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (91z4me @ Jan 12 2004, 08:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nocturn_Bird@Jan 10 2004, 06:59 PM

FYI guys that is the show car from 2 years ago not the production car. The production car has a much different engine bay. [/b][/quote]
thought it looked different..

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yep, good catch. I thought something was different. Looks like there is more room there than in my Spitfire. :D

Man, if it did work, it sure would be tight.

·
Registered
373 Posts
When you look at it. That car has no real protection. If you got hit from the front or the side. you'd be wrecked and your car would be destroyed as well. i'd still buy one tho hehe

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Well pringle, essentially yes, the more metal between the bumper and the engine, the more "crush-ablility" a vehicle generally has (for example the Safari has nothing other then the grille, so the entire van just crumples in...). However in a few years Europe will be passing more strict laws when it comes to crumple zones in order to pedestrians who get hit by cars. So if Pontiac wanted to sell the Solstice in europe, which Lutz wants to do, then they would have to modify Kappa because the amount of crumple zone on the current solstice is not enough for Europe. That or they must create exterior air-bags.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by BBcamaroSS@Jan 12 2004, 09:26 PM
When you look at it. That car has no real protection. If you got hit from the front or the side. you'd be wrecked and your car would be destroyed as well. i'd still buy one tho hehe
Well you have to understand there are tradeoffs for everything. People don't usually purchase a small sports car for its safety, because a car like this would get crushed under an SUV just due to the inertia of the impact the car would be in pieces especially since most of it is composite or plastic material. However in a small sports car, its much easier to avoid an accident. You be the judge as to which is safer in your manner of driving I guess...

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Kappa platform was designed SPECIFIALLY for the ecotec engine. Meaning, its dimensions under the hood can only fit the ecotec or something smaller. The VX is so cramped under that hood its not even funny!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts