GM Inside News Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I don't think you understand what "businesses leaving the US" means. They usually move their corporate headquarters to avoid taxes. No successful business in their right mind is exiting the US market. Carbon credits and the like are based on sales in a particular market, not corporate domicile.

So where would GM move their sales to? NA and China are the only viable markets and China is even-more heavy-handed with EV mandates.

It's called venting. I'm not suggesting that GM abandon the US market.

But with ridiculous schemes like "carbon credits," any business couldn't be blamed for attempting to find a more sensible, business-friendly place to move headquarters and operations.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
GM recently announced they are committed to the Ren Cen...but are moving all the marketing types to the design center in Warren to make room for more techies at the Ren Cen.
I wonder if that means anything, or just simply for space/logistics needs? Meaning does it signal a shift of importance with tech being in the building where the corporate executives are and marketing has been banished away?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
It's called venting. I'm not suggesting that GM abandon the US market.

But with ridiculous schemes like "carbon credits," any business couldn't be blamed for attempting to find a more sensible, business-friendly place to move headquarters and operations.
And where do you think such a place is? Europe? China? The US is behind the rest of the world (esp. the major markets) in pushing for EVs. There's nowhere to go.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wonder if that means anything, or just simply for space/logistics needs? Meaning does it signal a shift of importance with tech being in the building where the corporate executives are and marketing has been banished away?
There is an advantage for marketing to physically be near design engineering since they get early peeks at soon to be released new models and new tech in order to have more lead time on getting the marketing right...and timely. The design center is currently undergoing a $1B expansion/upgrade with 1st class facilities. Will be a great place to be "banished".

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Emailing her greenies buddies.

Does Mrs. Buttons know you are here posting naughty stuff?
The backseat is a Holy and respected area in the Button's household; it's where a few of the Buttons were conceived.

I'm sure she would have no objections to Mary "working" back there.

·
Registered
9,017 Posts
Long before Mary Barra. Some others presidents/CEO/chairman was featured on the cover of Time magazine.
Ed Cole TIME Magazine Cover: Edward N. Cole - Oct. 5, 1959
Frederic G. Donner TIME Magazine Cover: Federic G. Donner - May 18, 1962
Harlow Curtice Time Covers #1650-1699 Time Covers #1700-1749

And some non-GM guys, Lee Iacocca Cover Browser search results for "Iacocca"
Henry Ford and his grandsons. Cover Browser search results for "Henry Ford"
Chrysler Cover Browser search results for "Chrysler"

·
Premium Member
35,680 Posts
Y not just put up a big tent like Musk did? Hmmmmm?

And where do you think such a place is? Europe? China? The US is behind the rest of the world (esp. the major markets) in pushing for EVs. There's nowhere to go.
You act like that's a bad thing.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
You act like that's a bad thing.
Regardless of whether it's good or bad, I'm simply pointing out that there's nowhere to go (except bankrupt) if GM were to quit the US market.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
WIth all the goofy 💩 Europe is pushing I'm glad the US is behind.

I'm in no hurry to get 3 table spoons of milk a day to compliment my meat servings of 3 times a week which in turn compliments my lifestyle in my $200k 200sqft tiny house with my $100k EV that seats 3 plugged up next to it.

The US can take it's sweet time following Europe's charge into forced peasantry for all except the elite of elites.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

I'm in no hurry to get 3 table spoons of milk a day to compliment my meat servings of 3 times a week which in turn compliments my lifestyle in my $200k 200sqft tiny house with my $100k EV that seats 3 plugged up next to it.

The US can take it's sweet time following Europe's charge into forced peasantry for all except the elite of elites.
That whole article is baloney. Just one example: if a 20% reduction (IIRC) gets you down to 3 table spoons of milk, you are only drinking 3.75 to begin with. Big deal.

Anyway, my point remains: GM has nowhere to go.

·
Premium Member
33,821 Posts

We are already serfs. That perpetual property tax lien on your house makes you a serf.

·
Premium Member
35,680 Posts
Regardless of whether it's good or bad, I'm simply pointing out that there's nowhere to go (except bankrupt) if GM were to quit the US market.
I did not suggest that at all. My comment was about government pushing the market. Central Planning. If you remember the great Soviet Five Year Plans, you'll understand Central Planning.
Businesses know how to run businesses. Governments know how to...tax them. Run them? Sell cars? Not so much.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I did not suggest that at all. My comment was about government pushing the market. Central Planning. If you remember the great Soviet Five Year Plans, you'll understand Central Planning.
Businesses know how to run businesses. Governments know how to...tax them. Run them? Sell cars? Not so much.

I know you didn't suggest GM leaving the US. But my post you replied to was in response to one that said so.

Governments have been meddling with businesses all along. If GM can take a government bailout, I'm sure they can handle some mandates too. And it's not just GM, lots of big companies go to the government, hat in hand, when they are in trouble. Plus governments have played a major role in proliferation of new technologies all along too whether it's automobiles, the electricity grid, the internet, cellular infrastructure or whatever. EVs don't need to be the exception.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
That whole article is baloney. Just one example: if a 20% reduction (IIRC) gets you down to 3 table spoons of milk, you are only drinking 3.75 to begin with. Big deal.

It's baloney (O-S-C-A-R) until it becomes

Enjoy the tiny house then 😉

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
It's baloney (O-S-C-A-R) until it becomes

Enjoy the tiny house then 😉
I already have that in the SF Bay Area (except it's $2m+ instead of $200k), thank you very much!

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fix General Motors? She has been there for 10 years hasn't she? So when is she going to start?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Did Time magazine's photographer have to shoot her in such harsh lighting? Who did her hair? That style looks terrible on her!.

Is this how The Mother of all GM should be displayed?!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I love a man of wealth!.

You're quite welcome my wealthy forum-mate!
Just to be clear, what I meant is the area I live in already has ridiculously priced but tiny houses. Not a statement about my house per se.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Just to be clear, what I meant is the area I live in already has ridiculously priced but tiny houses. Not a statement about my house per se.
Oh oh.....I thought you were throwing your "member" out on the table....lol

Thank you for clarifying what you meant. Either way we are good!.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts