GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive News
April 27, 2021

*Note: TIME is rotating covers next week. The GM CEO is one of five cover shots.

General Motors, Volkswagen and Tesla were named among Time's 100 most influential companies Tuesday. Time featured GM CEO Mary Barra on one of five covers.

The new, unranked list recognizes 100 businesses making an impact around the world. The list highlights companies "that are shaping our collective future, as well as the leaders who steer them," Time Editor-in-Chief Edward Felsenthal said in a statement.

The TIME100 Most Influential Companies issue spotlighted each CEO on the five covers with longer profiles. In addition to Barra, Time featured Reese Witherspoon of Hello Sunshine, Adam Silver of the National Basketball Association, Francis deSouza of Illumina and Sara Menker of Gro Intelligence on the covers.

Time 2.jpg
Screenshot_2021-04-27 GM CEO Mary Barra lands on Time magazine cover.png
Time 3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
A huge round of applause for the GM CEO. She is the best thing to happen to GM in the last 50 years.

View attachment 63588

She's certainly doing great from a business perspective. I wish she was a little more of a car enthusiast.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
She's certainly doing great from a business perspective. I wish she was a little more of a car enthusiast.
At least she owned a Firebird when she first began working at GM.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
At least she owned a Firebird when she first began working at GM.
And I want to say she received the first C7 Z06 Convertible...like TruckMan said, she's great for Wall Street, just not so great for your everyday car enthusiast. Attainable power isn't GMs strong suit nowadays, Dodge has that angle locked up w/ the Challenger/Charger.

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
She's done an amazing job transforming GM. Even ignoring the switch to BEV, it seems like she's really changed the corporate culture for the good and has given us the beautiful Corvette and Escalade interiors that I don't think would've ever happened without her.

And, the work done with BEV's and self driving sounds amazing and cutting edge, however, the jury is still out with the results of those two. If her execution fails there may not be a GM anymore. Literally betting the farm.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
As they fuel all of Tesla's profits!!
Very true...their popularity as a muscle car mfr does have that one drawback. Just wish GM struck some sort of happy medium between FWD lifted minivan mfr and "Corvette"....theres a ton of whitespace that they're not hitting with good product.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
ha! good point!

I haven't paid attention to who is buying Tesla's carbon credits. Is GM doing that or does GM not need to?
GM doesn't need to hence the Bolt "compliance" EV, no regular cab short bed trucks, no Raptor competitor, etc, etc... All the things we complain about with GM is actually helping their CAFE compliance quite a bit. Not at Stellantis however. They just purchase massive credits from Tesla every 1/4.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
GM doesn't need to hence the Bolt "compliance" EV, no regular cab short bed trucks, no Raptor competitor, etc, etc... All the things we complain about with GM is actually helping their CAFE compliance quite a bit. Not at Stellantis however. They just purchase massive credits from Tesla every 1/4.
Um...GM actually did buy credits from Tesla as recently as 2019:

Now have they since? Probably so since their EV lineup is relatively weak and they sell a crap ton of full size trucks and SUVs. Point being, both have their hands in the Tesla cookie jar but only one has hot enthusiast models to show for it.

As nice as the Camaro SS is, for every one Camaro SS on the road in 2021 there's probably a Charger, Challenger, or Jeep Hellcat on the road to counter it. Hell, I've seen more widebody Challengers in the last 2 years than I've seen Camaro SSs from 2015+...it was a slow seller and it's days are now numbered. Once that happens, then what will GM offer enthusiasts looking for something < $80k that they're looking for w/ the Corvette? Blazer RS?

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
There is a method to their madness! Even if we don't like it.

Nice gesture on Stellantis's part, basically building products for fans and giving away the profits.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
She is!a $1000,000 1000hp Hummer truck not enough?..How about a $60,000 Vette?....How about a $100,000 super Vette? or a $150,000 super duper Vette?

When GM's EV future arrives there are going to be so many performance vehicles looking to rip off your face and 💩 down your throat that you're going to have to go hide in a bunker for a couple of years to even think about what you want.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
And I want to say she received the first C7 Z06 Convertible...like TruckMan said, she's great for Wall Street, just not so great for your everyday car enthusiast. Attainable power isn't GMs strong suit nowadays, Dodge has that angle locked up w/ the Challenger/Charger.
I heard she traded the Vette in for a XC90...I mean XT-6. 😉

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I heard she traded the Vette in for a XC90...I mean XT-6. 😉
Those two are only confused by the blind...they were going for an XC90 vibe w/ the XT6 but failed miserably. Soon someone will point to their sales and say it's a success, but is it really? 100 units more than the Aviator per quarter and 100 less than the XC90 with Volvo's miniscule dealer network with a 10k lower ATP? Is that really the picture of success?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Those two are only confused by the blind...they were going for an XC90 vibe w/ the XT6 but failed miserably. Soon someone will point to their sales and say it's a success, but is it really? 100 units more than the Aviator per quarter and 100 less than the XC90 with Volvo's miniscule dealer network with a 10k lower ATP? Is that really the picture of success?
And if Mary The GM CEO/HQBC drives a XT-6 doesn't it make it even more of a success?

I don't see that Tom Hiddleston fella that runs Ford driving a Lincoln Aviator......just saying ;).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts