GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FoMoCoNews.Com Opinion: The Detroit Comeback
Detroit About to Turn on the Overtake Indicator on Imports

By Ndwariga (San Diego, Ca.) Since the 1970’s Detroit has been loosing market share to Japanese and to a lesser extent European automakers. There is no intention of rehashing the Detroit is going down the tubes story here since we are constantly bombarded with that side of the story constantly. What this article would like to explore is the amazing revitalization of products that has been sweeping across the Detroit three and how the technology and design leadership is shifting back to American automakers
More at
FoMoCoNews.Com

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
Honda makes gorgeous cylces, but horrible looking cars and trucks.
I am more convinced than ever that America is coming back.

Efff those japanese.

·
Premium Member
35,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From a cost perspective we have the advantage, from a global manufacturing footprint, Ford GM has a leg up, Nissan used to have a San Diego design center that they just closed, so watch that Nissan Design prowess go down, what else, There really is nothing much to show for Japan,
Compare below

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
That's a great editorial on the 'state of the industry' from a design standpoint.......the next Taurus as well as the Fusion should help tip the scale even more in our favor.....then of course there's the EPII models... ;)

As to that comparo pic.......the Asians have dropped the ball finally where design is concerned. I mean, I know there's only so much you can do when designing a car........but in today's marketplace, any sense of 'excitement' or originality is gone.

They need to find themselves a Chris Bangle & just go to town.....

·
Registered
551 Posts
This is a great article. Now the tough job of perception lay ahead. This type of information needs to be communicated to the consumer over and over. The constant recall information from Toyota needs to be blasted on the news like they do for the domestics. It is rare that I see any recall information for Toyota on the news like I do for Detroit. Styling alone will start to lure more customers back and the quality and feature content will help as well. With the slowing economy Detroit would be smart to really emphasize how the consumer is getting more for their money with their brands.

·
Premium Member
35,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love what the article says about mild hybrids, people laugh at it now, but, as the second generation comes around, then third generation, guys are going to wish they had the technology...
Its a very simple and clever system.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
That's a great editorial on the 'state of the industry' from a design standpoint.......the next Taurus as well as the Fusion should help tip the scale even more in our favor.....then of course there's the EPII models... ;)

As to that comparo pic.......the Asians have dropped the ball finally where design is concerned. I mean, I know there's only so much you can do when designing a car........but in today's marketplace, any sense of 'excitement' or originality is gone.

They need to find themselves a Chris Bangle & just go to town.....
I'll agree with that statment.

Perception, dealer body, funds, hybrids, and across the board product lineup, fuel economy, and long term quality still ALL lag behind Toyota/Honda for GM, Ford, AND Chrysler. Even in spite of the great strides being made, there is still MUCH work that needs to be done to rectify that. Volt aside from GM, the problem is even more exacerbated at Ford and even WORSE than that at Chrysler.

I know this is an upbeat article in face of doom and gloom, but the above paragraph is a FACT, not an opinion. Especially with Toyota, to a lesser extent Honda and GM is probably above Nissan with Ford somewhere near par with Nissan and Chrysler still floating along in existence.

CobaltSS

Furthermore, I would argue with under20k cars and over 35k cars, their interior/exterior design, NHV, and fuel economy still lag behind their Japanese counterparts minus CTS design and 09 Cobalt fuel economy. The rest of GM's car lineup in those price ranges needs some MAJOR investment (hopefully it gets it with Epsilon II, Sigma II, Zeta).

·
Premium Member
35,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crazy Cobalt, you'll agree with me, that with a new cobalt coming, a new beat, a new fiesta, and a new fusion, and a 2010 Focus, that serious, Japan is on its way down..

At the end, the article does acknowledge that all is not victory...
Detroit still has a lot of work ahead of it to be on top again, but, finally there is light at the despair tunnel, that the worst may be behind Detroit. Focus on product, design quality and innovation has almost eliminated imports from car of the year awards.
That said, I do not see what is going to be taking on the Fiesta from Japan... Nothing.. that they have now, at least...

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Crazy Cobalt, you'll agree with me, that with a new cobalt coming, a new beat, a new fiesta, and a new fusion, and a 2010 Focus, that serious, Japan is on its way down..

At the end, the article does acknowledge that all is not victory...

That said, I do not see what is going to be taking on the Fiesta from Japan... Nothing.. that they have now, at least...
its a moving target with new rolla, civic, fit, yaris, versa, sentra...

new camry, new altima...

they will all advance, it'll be a beautiful day when GM competes on a price, value, feature set/content, PERCEPTION, AND SALES level with all of those cars.

Japan won't be on its way down, heck if anything they'll just put out better products to compete.

Will Buick and Pontiac start producing volume products that rival the best from Japan AND even Hyundai too!????? Will SAAB and Cadillac start increasing sales and marketshare of the luxury market without 'giving' the products away or selling the deal?

Seriously.

Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes....Cadillac has much work to even 'keep up' let alone lead.

SAAB: Volvo/Audi/Acura...SAAB has insane amount to even begin ATTEMPTING to keep up. 9-3 is embarrassment since MCE. and even when it was good circa 2006 it was a one trick pony. 9-2/9-7x/9-5 aside. Those 3 are garbage!

CobaltSS

·
Premium Member
35,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its a moving target with new rolla, civic, fit, yaris, versa, sentra...

new camry, new altima...

they will all advance, it'll be a beautiful day when GM competes on a price, value, feature set/content, PERCEPTION, AND SALES level with all of those cars.

Japan won't be on its way down, heck if anything they'll just put out better products to compete.

Will Buick and Pontiac start producing volume products that rival the best from Japan AND even Hyundai too!????? Will SAAB and Cadillac start increasing sales and marketshare of the luxury market without 'giving' the products away or selling the deal?

Seriously.

Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes....Cadillac has much work to even 'keep up' let alone lead.

SAAB: Volvo/Audi/Acura...SAAB has insane amount to even begin ATTEMPTING to keep up. 9-3 is embarrassment since MCE. and even when it was good circa 2006 it was a one trick pony. 9-2/9-7x/9-5 aside. Those 3 are garbage!

CobaltSS
Obviously you have never driven a 9-3, it drives very well..

·
Premium Member
35,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes.

Right now, SAAB basically has one respectable model line. The 9-3.

And it's not even competitive.
its a better vehicle than the TL, ES and MKZ or whatever the lincoln is called. Drives better, offers superior fuel economy, superior XW system, better power, due to Turbos,... Unique Saab Styling...

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Yes.

Right now, SAAB basically has one respectable model line. The 9-3.

And it's not even competitive.
THANK YOU! Someone not blinded by the light:D

its a better vehicle than the TL, ES and MKZ or whatever the lincoln is called. Drives better, offers superior fuel economy, superior XW system, better power, due to Turbos,... Unique Saab Styling...
Is that a Joke? TL is outclasses it all the way hands down from suspension, to powertrain, to feature set, to style and design. I don't have time to look up the fuel economy on all these vehicles. Finals:(

2.8 HFV6 is at 250...TL is pushing 290. pwn.

Unique Saab Styling.....que Mgescuro " Subaru ricer japanese bling " doesn't equal STYLING just copy cat blandness! I'd take an 06 Saab 9-3 over this riced out, blinged out, and GM corporate parts embarrassment over 08 model EVERYDAY of the week. An 06 in Black on Black Aero was one of my favorite cars from that model year!!!

The bottom line is SAAB doesn't compete, nor does Cadillac outside of CTS, (Escalade to RR is embarrassing; XLR is getting revision, but newtered by Corvette/Z06/ZR1 power/performance rule; SRX is dying; STS is great car in vacuum but compared to a 550i/E-Klasse, ummm good luck) and CTS only works as an entry level car not a 5 series competitor even though it is size wise.

Pontiac/Buick still have no viable volume and profit producing products. Unless you consider Enclave a volume product:rolleyes:

Saturn and Chevrolet are in good shape but don't get enough advertising money! Outside of Malibu/Silverado, and local "get a deal 170$/month lease for an 08 Impala" these brands get jack. I havn't EVER seen a Colorado commercial nor a Cobalt/Aveo one in a year or two!

Embarrassing.

Much MUCH more work needs to happen despite the strides and gains that have been made. And I have praised GM for their work in other threads so I won't re-hash it here.

CobaltSS

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
From a cost perspective we have the advantage, from a global manufacturing footprint, Ford GM has a leg up, Nissan used to have a San Diego design center that they just closed, so watch that Nissan Design prowess go down, what else, There really is nothing much to show for Japan,
Compare below

The new Accord actually looks very handsome in person and on the road. The Camry is less bland than the malibu where surfaces and forms are concerned, but ends up uglier (although, IMO, it;s still a very nice looking car). The malibu is very nice but also conservative, I wish they would have spruced up some of the body surfaces.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts