GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Renergie, Inc. Receives $1.5M Grant for Sweet Sorghum Ethanol Plant
Renergie produces ethanol solely from sweet sorghum juice. The advantages of producing ethanol directly from sweet sorghum juice are:

High Yield. Sweet sorghum juice yields between 500 to 800 gallons of ethanol per acre;

Water Efficient Crop. Sweet sorghum requires one-half of the water required to grow corn and one third of the water required to grow sugarcane;

Ability to Grow in Marginal Soil . Sweet sorghum can grow in marginal soils, ranging from heavy clay to light sand. Sweet sorghum has been called a “camel among crops,” owing to its wide adaptability, its marked resistance to drought and saline-alkaline soils, and tolerance to high temperature and waterlogging;

Lower nitrogen use. Sweet sorghum requires the use of only 40 to 60 pounds of nitrogen per acre whereas corn growers use more than 150 pounds per acre, according to the US. Environmental Protection Agency. Less fertilizer reduces the risk of water contamination. Producing ethanol from sweet sorghum rather than increasing corn-to-ethanol production, reduces the risk of the continued formation of dead zones in the Gulf of Mexico;

Rapid Growth. Sweet sorghum takes only 4 months to reach maturity, which is short enough to allow harvesting twice a year. Sugarcane requires 14 months to reach maturity; and

Energy Efficient. The energy requirement for converting sweet sorghum juice into ethanol is less than half of that required to convert corn into ethanol. This is due to the fact that the sugars in sweet sorghum juice are fermented directly. There is no need to excessively heat the juice to breakdown starch into sugars as required for corn.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hey oil hit an intra day high of $106 today. You don't think ethanol is profitable without taxpayer dollars your crazy. High Prices lead to competition and inovation!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yeah, i don't think ethanol needs subsidy anymore. Boost the economy by cutting taxes instead of giving it to rich farmers.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah, i don't think ethanol needs subsidy anymore. Boost the economy by cutting taxes instead of giving it to rich farmers.
You are joking, right? If not, go check out a farm and get back to me on the "rich" farmers.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
When I think "get rich quick" farming always comes to mind first. You can't be serious.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can Sweet Sorghum be as profitable for farmers as corn is? If not, would we need subsidies to encourage farmers to grow this in place of corn? Either way, I'd much rather see subsidies going to farmers here and reduce the dependence on foreign oil from hostile places.

·
Registered
804 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Is it good on pancakes also? :dro:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts