GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 Cubans took off from Castro's gulag in a 1959 sedan fitted with steel barrel pontoons, and powered by the car's own V-8 retrofitted with a propeller. Sadly, the Coast Guard caught these intrepid travellers before they made it to US shores.

At last report, the Coast Guard was threatening to scuttle the HMS LeSabre, but the propietor of a refugee museum in Miami was trying to get it for display.

The same Cubans tried this same manuver in a 1951 Chevrolet pickup a few months back. I say that owing to their affinity for GM products, the General ought to sponsor these guys for citizenship.

And in case you don't believe this, it's reoprted on CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/02/...r.ap/index.html

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
WHO SAYS AMERICAN CARS DONT LAST!!!!!!!! Just ask a CUBAN! PS-I say let them in with there WAY COOL BUICK BOAT it ROCKS!!!!! B) :D

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
You would think that the Cuban authorities would have seen them build it. nothing like going past your neighbor's garage and he has a prop on the back of his car and barrels lashed to the side. That would tend to perk up your interest.
It shows one how man's ingenuity rises to the occasion. Could there be a set of generic plans floating around Cuba?
Glad that they used a GM vehicle. I'd hate to see them break down in the middle of the ocean because he used a British car. Where do you find a garage let alone parts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts