GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insane, Defined: 1. Cannot distinguish fantasy from reality; subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior 2. Mentally deranged 3.Tesla Model S P85D.
MotorTrend
November 3, 2014
By: Kim Reynolds

"In the options selection, you'll be able to choose [between] three settings: Normal. Sport. And Insane." Elon Musk glanced around and grinned.

"Yeah, it will actually say 'In-sane.'"

Musk chortled, along with the 2,000-strong crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. Although Wall Street analysts were soured by his Los Angeles presentation of the Dual Motor Tesla Model S P85D and the mysteriously tweeted "something else" (Musk's personal wealth dropped $500 million by the next morning), all we can say is that the Wall Street suits haven't ridden in the Model S P85D. And best they don't if they want to keep their Brooks Brothers slacks dry, because we've just tested it, and as insane goes, it makes Charlie Manson look like Charlie Rose.

Full article available at link.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
I've only had the opportunity to experience a base Model S (non-P85), but based on its acceleration I can only imagine what the P85D must feel like... "engage trans-warp drive" is likely a good characterization.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
So, let's see:

Cadillac ATS, Cadillac CTS, Corvette Stingray, Camaro ZL1, Dodge Challenger Hellcat, Dodge Charger Hellcat, Ford Focus ST, Ford Fiesta ST, Tesla Model S P85D... And so on. When do American car companies get to rave about "American Engineering"?

Reactions: Evo69 and mchicha

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Why are we reading about toys for the rich? When you spend $120,000 for a car and still have to have a "real" car for trips, they are not the target market.
Most people's trips are less than the 295 mile range of the P85D. And most people who would buy this car will most certainly fly any distance greater than that.

Reactions: guionM

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
As a recovering trial lawyer, let me tell you: the day some Tesla owner spins out of control while in Insane mode a plaintiff's lawyer is going to get his wings (and a couple million bucks, if he strikes lucky and gets a badly maimed - but not actually dead - plaintiff). It'll go like this:

Q: So, Mr. Tesla engineer, engineered the car to perform in an "Insane" manner, correct?

A: Well, no, it's all perfectly sensible and safe. Let me explain why it's safe . . . .

Q: [Cutting off the engineer] But you'd agree, wouldn't you, that there's a setting for the car that is designed to make it "Insane"?

A: Well, no . . .

Q: Showing you what's been marked as exhibit 423, what does that depict?

A: Uh, well, it's the acceleration mode setting.

Q: And it says "Insane", correct?

A: Uh, well, umm . . . .

Q: And Tesla Motors doesn't put false settings on its cars, does it?

A: Well, no, but let me . . . .

Q: So the acceleration and performance is, in fact, "Insane"?

A: Well, no . . . .

Q: And let me read you this definition of "Insane" from Webster's Dictionary.

It'd be so ugly.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
"A rising-pitch ghost siren augers into your ears as you're not so much accelerating as pneumatically suctioned into the future. You were there. Now you're here."
I love that line. I love a rippin' engine, but I've always thought it would be fun to have a car that had about 800HP and was nearly silent. You just put in some road tunes and zip around - the world would fly by in a surreal fashion. I'm generally not a fan of Tesla, but they may have just produced one of my dreams...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Most people's trips are less than the 295 mile range of the P85D. And most people who would buy this car will most certainly fly any distance greater than that.
You are showing that is indeed a toy for the rich. Do you really think that the rich are not going to buy another car that is not range limited? Like my wife, they want to be prepared "just in case". I had to install snow tires on her car for 30 years "just in case". In 30 years, she never drove in the snow a single time.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
You are showing that is indeed a toy for the rich. Do you really think that the rich are not going to buy another car that is not range limited? Like my wife, they want to be prepared "just in case". I had to install snow tires on her car for 30 years "just in case". In 30 years, she never drove in the snow a single time.
Sure. It's a toy for the rich. But that's true of all $120,000 cars.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Not really. Letting the juice flow ever more freely to a couple of electric motors is not exactly cutting edge technology.

Which raises an interesting question: wonder how long your battery charge lasts in Insane mode? I'd imagine one good burnout will cost you 20-30 miles of range.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
My personal favorite 80 to 100 grand sports sedan.

Pricey but it is the best in the segment....or should I say most desirable

Wow!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

The last Cadillac CTSv has an 18 gallon fuel tank and averaged 16mpg combined....that's 288 miles.....7 miles LESS than the Tesla.

More range perspective:

The Z/28's range is only 266, the same as the supercharged Mustang Cobras were.
ZL1 isn't much better than Tesla's at 304

The Chevy SS sedan's range is 306, only 11 miles better.

Range is by no means an issue with Tesla. It's range is right in line with a large number of cars in showrooms right now. The only question is refueling time, and at the moment the "supercharger" takes an hour if the battery's drained. They are also setting up battery "swap" stations as well.

Finally, if you're saying Teslas are only for the rich, there's a whole world of other cars you may as well throw into that group. Teslas range from $69K to $90K. That means you can get a Tesla cheaper than a CTSv (gas guzzler tax vs tax rebate), Escalade (even without rebates).

Base price on a P85d starts is no more than a BMW M5 (and again, less with the tax rebate), and likely the Z06 Corvette as well.

Can everyone afford it? Nope. And there isn't a thing wrong with that either. Not everyone can afford to order a V8 in their Mustang or Camaro either.

Tesla's come a long, long way in changing the perception of electric powered vehicles. I think the Tesla is in an area that makes absolute sense. Electric power is expensive, and it's cars in it's class that tend to be the biggest gas eaters and quickest rides. Tesla is in a spot where it makes a lot more sense than Nissan Leafs (does Nissan actually make money on then?) or other money losing rides way down on the cheap end that are sold at losses just to gain CAFE points to sell more trucks.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/11/how-quickly-does-the-tesla-model-s-battery-charge.html
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/11/how-quickly-does-the-tesla-model-s-battery-charge.html

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
As a recovering trial lawyer, let me tell you: the day some Tesla owner spins out of control while in Insane mode a plaintiff's lawyer is going to get his wings (and a couple million bucks, if he strikes lucky and gets a badly maimed - but not actually dead - plaintiff). It'll go like this:

Q: So, Mr. Tesla engineer, engineered the car to perform in an "Insane" manner, correct?

A: Well, no, it's all perfectly sensible and safe. Let me explain why it's safe . . . .

Q: [Cutting off the engineer] But you'd agree, wouldn't you, that there's a setting for the car that is designed to make it "Insane"?

A: Well, no . . .

Q: Showing you what's been marked as exhibit 423, what does that depict?

A: Uh, well, it's the acceleration mode setting.

Q: And it says "Insane", correct?

A: Uh, well, umm . . . .

Q: And Tesla Motors doesn't put false settings on its cars, does it?

A: Well, no, but let me . . . .

Q: So the acceleration and performance is, in fact, "Insane"?

A: Well, no . . . .

Q: And let me read you this definition of "Insane" from Webster's Dictionary.

It'd be so ugly.
No it won't. You've been able to disable TC and everything else in Corvettes and Vipers (the new ones) so how is this any different?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts