GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if Matthew McConaughey Drives One...
MotorTrend
October 8th, 2014
By: Ron Kiino

By now you’ve probably seen the TV spots of movie star Matthew McConaughey promoting the all-new Lincoln MKC crossover. (If you haven’t, view three here.) Whether you believe McConaughey would actually drive a Lincoln (he says he’s been driving one “long before anybody paid me to drive one”) or for that matter an MKC (it’s easier to envision the Longhorn alum in a Navigator, no?) is beside the point. Clearly, the newly dubbed “Lincoln Motor Company” is attempting to attract Gen X and Y buyers, those 30- and 40-somethings who not only relate to McConaughey and his films, but also have healthy incomes and, most likely, a family that necessitates a small luxury crossover, one of the fastest-growing segments in the auto biz. In other words, let’s get nontraditional Lincoln buyers into this nontraditional Lincoln.

I must admit, seeing McConaughey behind the wheel of a Lincoln crossover just feels weird. To me, he’ll always be Wooderson from “Dazed and Confused.” I mean, who can forget him talking about his prized Chevy Chevelle: “Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packing right here, all right. I've got 411 Posi-Trac out back, 750 Double Pumper, Edelbrock intakes, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talking some f#$%ing muscle.” (I recommend you YouTube this as well.) Good news for Lincoln is the MKC’s got some f#$%ing muscle of its own, thanks to the new EcoBoost borrowed from the 2015 Ford Mustang.

Full article available at link.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
The MKC’s exterior design, a blend of Lincoln heritage up front, Audi Q5 in the back,
So I'm not the only one that sees this.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
So I'm not the only one that sees this.
Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery. ;) I just wished the rear hatch design would've carried over into the MKX as well. Nonetheless the MKC will do well in the market, I've already seen a number of them throughout DFW.

·
Premium Member
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery. ;) I just wished the rear hatch design would've carried over into the MKX as well. Nonetheless the MKC will do well in the market, I've already seen a number of them throughout DFW.
The MKX takes the MKC's design up a notch sophistication wise:

I expect the MKX to be even more beautiful than the MKC is. I can't wait to see the final product.

·
Premium Member
11,409 Posts
Lincoln need great Utilities, it's something Ford can do and should be getting out there.
MKC, new MKX, MK-Explorer and all new Navigator...an excellent line up IMO.

The MKZ is "OK" but I think that an expansive Lincoln could do much better with
a compact sedan, a better more roomy MKZ, more like the new Lexus ES, a better MKS based on large CD4.

i would still go for a lincoln based Mustang as something different that keeps performance buyers interested,
perhaps longer wheelbase with mini suicide rear doors like last Mazda RX8.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
How well is the MKZ selling? I still haven't warmed up to its styling and it's a bit staid for my taste. The MKC and the new MKX will be the 1-2 punch that Lincoln needs. They will raise the bar quite a bit for Lincoln so anything after them must be successful.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
The MKX takes the MKC's design up a notch sophistication wise:

I expect the MKX to be even more beautiful than the MKC is. I can't wait to see the final product.
I'm really scare of how much is Ford going to change from the concept. The design is close to perfect and it should stay like that for production, but somehow I'm not seeing it.

Reactions: SP1966

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
This is the first step on the road to recovery.

Lincoln has to make every vehicle from here onward this good, and they can do it with existing Ford architectures if they nail the execution.
Yep... this vehicle (as did the MKZ) proves that the theory is sound.

However, all ensuing vehicles also need to be at this level, along with a vastly improved customer experience.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
This is the first and only Lincoln I have seen in a long time that I have an interest in.

That said - I will take a wait and see. My eye is more on the new Canyon crew cab for 2015 or 16.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Well, if Matthew McConaughey Drives One...
MotorTrend
October 8th, 2014
By: Ron Kiino

By now you’ve probably seen the TV spots of movie star Matthew McConaughey promoting the all-new Lincoln MKC crossover. (If you haven’t, view three here.) Whether you believe McConaughey would actually drive a Lincoln (he says he’s been driving one “long before anybody paid me to drive one”) or for that matter an MKC (it’s easier to envision the Longhorn alum in a Navigator, no?) is beside the point. Clearly, the newly dubbed “Lincoln Motor Company” is attempting to attract Gen X and Y buyers, those 30- and 40-somethings who not only relate to McConaughey and his films, but also have healthy incomes and, most likely, a family that necessitates a small luxury crossover, one of the fastest-growing segments in the auto biz. In other words, let’s get nontraditional Lincoln buyers into this nontraditional Lincoln.

I must admit, seeing McConaughey behind the wheel of a Lincoln crossover just feels weird. To me, he’ll always be Wooderson from “Dazed and Confused.” I mean, who can forget him talking about his prized Chevy Chevelle: “Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packing right here, all right. I've got 411 Posi-Trac out back, 750 Double Pumper, Edelbrock intakes, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talking some f#$%ing muscle.” (I recommend you YouTube this as well.) Good news for Lincoln is the MKC’s got some f#$%ing muscle of its own, thanks to the new EcoBoost borrowed from the 2015 Ford Mustang.

Full article available at link.
You must have missed "The Lincoln Lawyer", where McConaughey's office was a Lincoln.

Still, any vehicle based on the "new" Escape is nowhere "Close to Perfection"!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Meh. Seems like the 2.3 drives pretty solid. The 2.0 seems weak. I don't like any of these vehicles though, so I'm admittedly a tough critic.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
The entire car mimics the Q5:
I've said this more than once.

But looks oh so much better...
I will never say this.

A matter of opinion, of course. But, I think the MKC is over-designed. The deep-draw of the too-many-strakes in the sheetmetal casts many shadows down the flanks and, to my eye, makes it look THICK while the Q5 is much more sleek.

The facias too seem over-done to me.

It doesn't matter what I think, though. The MKC seems to be selling very well.

Again, just an opinion.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
It can only help make the "American" brand better to have both Lincoln and Cadillac making good vehicles! Maybe someday car mags will say "the Americans" in the same way they refer to "the Germans".
Now THAT would be nice! I like Lincoln's newest stuff, and am looking forward to seeing the Black Label applied to more of their lineup.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts