GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
What's wrong with the 2.0Ts? Both MotorTrend and C&D's Sonata 2.0T test cars are shockingly slow, slower than some competitors base I-4s. It's nearly 30 horsepower down compared to the outgoing car, but those were low-6s in the 0-60. These are closer to eight!? Literally no reason to get it at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's wrong with the 2.0Ts? Both MotorTrend and C&D's Sonata 2.0T test cars are shockingly slow, slower than some competitors base I-4s. It's nearly 30 horsepower down compared to the outgoing car, but those were low-6s in the 0-60. These are closer to eight!? Literally no reason to get it at this point.
There are some goodies on the new model that are nice, but I have BT, Nav and most stuff I want on mine. I think Hyundai tried too hard to "mainstream" the '15 model. Hear they're not selling that hot, either.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
There are some goodies on the new model that are nice, but I have BT, Nav and most stuff I want on mine. I think Hyundai tried too hard to "mainstream" the '15 model. Hear they're not selling that hot, either.
Yeah other than updated tech and what seems to be a better handling chassis, the rest of the car seems stagnant as an overall product. Kind of the issue with the 2008 Accord and 2013 Malibu IMO. We saw how that worked for Chevy. Hyundai should've just had the full, traditional five year cycle and made more worthwhile improvements.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
It seems like Hyundai as a whole has lost some of the momentum they were building over the last 5 years.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
It seems like Hyundai as a whole has lost some of the momentum they were building over the last 5 years.
Hopefully that's only the case with this Sonata and not a trend we see at Hyundai. Other redesigns, like the Genesis, Azera, and Sante Fe, are greatly improved.

·
Registered
19,629 Posts
8 seconds 0 to 60 for a sport model? That would've been competitive in..... the 1980's.... The mpg is good, but not great, I would have expected the offset to the slow 0 to 60 to be superior mpg's....

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Do these engines have massive turbo lag?? That's the only explanation for these times. I hear they are quite nice from a roll although I did beat one in my GP so there's that...

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Agreed. Your car is better looking than this gen.

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
Hopefully that's only the case with this Sonata and not a trend we see at Hyundai. Other redesigns, like the Genesis, Azera, and Sante Fe, are greatly improved.
Funny, I think the Sonata is their most impressive update yet, but the competition has gotten a lot stronger as well.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Funny, I think the Sonata is their most impressive update yet, but the competition has gotten a lot stronger as well.
In fact, I can only speak to the on-paper stats and initial reviews. I've yet to sample the newest Sonata, but the outgoing car was nice to ride in for an hour. Really put Hyundai on the map in this segment thanks to its design, efficiency, and tech. Perhaps I built up a potential redesign too much in my mind. Still, the car seems to be largely competitive in all aspects, just not much of a standout in any - not to mention the glaring flaw that seems to be the latest 2.0T, which is neither impressive in mileage nor performance. I was never fully expecting it but things like the 1.6T instead of the 2.4L and an 8-9AT would've been at the leading edge of this segment.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
To me that 274hp rating was awfully questionable as it was. If anything I can only assume that was the rated hp on 93, but I believe they call for 87 (as opposed to GM's "recommended but not required" 91 wording). Not that I tend to partake in such activities often, but circumstances led to me having a little run in with a 2.0T Sonata a year ago or so, and I had no problem walking him twice in a 270hp and ~300lb heavier GS from a roll.

·
Premium Member
36,396 Posts
This is not progress.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Hyundai's 2.0T GDI is drawing criticism from brand enthusiasts because of it's lack of real world performance and inconsistent road test results.

I'd wonder just which Hyundai regional R&D developed this engine - it certainly wasn't the German R&D unit who designed/developed the excellent R-series 2.2 turbo-diesel - shame, because Hyundai has plenty of expertise in turbos and direct injection.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
This is not progress.
Indeed, it would appear that this car takes as much of a step back from the prior generation to this as the Malibu did in the last major update of that model. Will we hear as much hooplah about it on the forums now that the car in question is a Hyundai?

·
Premium Member
21,421 Posts
I like the way the new Sonata looks, but wow, my 9 year old Envoy can give this thing a run for its money, if not beat it.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I find it really hard to believe that a direct injected 2 liter turbo 4 with 260 LBS Ft of torque at a low RPM is this slow in a mid size car like this. Something is for sure wrong with these early production build cars. I would expect 6.8 seconds.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I find it really hard to believe that a direct injected 2 liter turbo 4 with 260 LBS Ft of torque at a low RPM is this slow in a mid size car like this. Something is for sure wrong with these early production build cars. I would expect 6.8 seconds.
There is a 2015 Sonata variant that achieves 0-60 mph acceleration time of 6.7 seconds according to Car & Driver. Interestingly, it's the least powerful version, Sonata Eco with the 1.6L turbo engine! :whoa:

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
There is a 2015 Sonata variant that achieves 0-60 mph acceleration time of 6.7 seconds according to Car & Driver. Interestingly, it's the least powerful version, Sonata Eco with the 1.6L turbo engine! :whoa:
Which has a 1.6 liter turbo engine that makes 178 Hp and 195 torque. The 2 liter turbo makes 245 horses and 260 torque and the base engine has 185 horses and 178 torque and can easily do the 0-60 dash in 8 seconds or less. Something just isn't right here.

·
Premium Member
36,396 Posts
Indeed, it would appear that this car takes as much of a step back from the prior generation to this as the Malibu did in the last major update of that model. Will we hear as much hooplah about it on the forums now that the car in question is a Hyundai?
Which has a 1.6 liter turbo engine that makes 178 Hp and 195 torque. The 2 liter turbo makes 245 horses and 260 torque and the base engine has 185 horses and 178 torque and can easily do the 0-60 dash in 8 seconds or less. Something just isn't right here.
Beat me to it. The stock 2.4 appears as quick as the 2.0T.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts