GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not Your Granddaddy's Caddy, Coupe de Ville, or Eldorado.
MotorTrend
January 21, 2015
By: Jason Udy

Despite being sexier than their four-door contemporaries, coupe sales have waned over the past few decades because the sedan has a more practical bodystyle. Although there are fewer coupe choices today than there have been historically, there are still several choices in the compact premium personal coupe segment (Audi A5, BMW 4 Series, Infiniti Q60, Lexus RC, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class). Last year, the 2014 Cadillac ATS sedan arrived to take on the BMW 3 Series sedan, so it comes as no surprise that the 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe is aimed squarely at the rechristened BMW 4 Series coupe.

Our rear-drive 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe Premium tester equipped with the base 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and no-cost six-speed manual starts at $48,090 (including $995 destination). Standard performance features on the Premium trim include a performance suspension with magnetic ride control, limited-slip differential, Brembo brakes, and staggered 18-inch machined-finish forged alloy wheels wrapped in run-flat summer tires size 225/45R 18 front and 255/40R18 rear.

Full article available at link.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Overall, I really like the ATS Coupe's design. The only thing I don't like is the front end. I much prefer the old one. It flows better with the entire car IMHO.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Overall, I really like the ATS Coupe's design. The only thing I don't like is the front end. I much prefer the old one. It flows better with the entire car IMHO.
I'm convinced that I am too old to get used to the new logo. Set in my ways. A geezer, perhaps. I just miss the old one. :)

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I still struggle to comprehend how the ATS doesn't put up better track times given the choices of 321 horses or 295 lb-ft of torque.
With the 2.0-liter turbo and six-speed manual, our boosted Caddy hit 60 mph in 5.5 seconds and cleared the quarter mile in 14.1 seconds at 98.9 mph. Stopping from 60 mph took 110 feet. The ATS Coupe lapped the figure eight in 25.3 seconds at 0.83g average and pulled 0.93 g around the skidpad. The Cadillac ATS Coupe 2.0T manual matches the manual-equipped 328i's time to 60 mph and in the quarter mile (the Caddy has a 0.5 mph faster trap speed), but the ATS is a full second faster around the figure eight at a 0.13 higher average lateral g. The automatic-equipped 428i is 0.3 second faster to 60 mph and 0.2 second faster in the quarter mile, though its trap speed is 0.2 mph lower than the ATS Coupe's speed. Although the 428i is faster in a straight line, the ATS is still the figure-eight champ, posting a 0.3-second faster lap at a 0.11 higher average g. The ATS took 1 foot longer to stop from 60 mph than the 428i but stopped 3 feet shorter than the 328i.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ts_coupe_20t_manual_first_test/#ixzz3PW3m88B8
sounds to me like its slightly better than the 428 in numbers overall, other than this is the 2.0 turbo so its got less horses

·
Registered
5,362 Posts

I MUCH prefer the new front end. More purposeful, less busy. The grille is right sized unlike the humongous ones on Lexus and Audi. Even Mercedes is pushing it. And I am growing more comfortable with the new logo every day.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still struggle to comprehend how the ATS doesn't put up better track times given the choices of 321 horses or 295 lb-ft of torque.
Torque management. GM cars are crippled in stock form by their stupid e-nannies.

Funny you mention times; I took a 0-60 MPH video the other night:

0-60 in 5.5 seconds isn't bad, but it should be around 5 flat with that kind of power:weight ratio.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Torque management. GM cars are crippled in stock form by their stupid e-nannies.

0-60 in 5.5 seconds isn't bad, but it should be around 5 flat with that kind of power:weight ratio.
That car badly needs the quicker shifting 8speed, but the motor sounds wicked

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That car badly needs the quicker shifting 8speed, but the motor sounds wicked
Totally agreed. The shifting in Sport Mode is a little quicker, but for what the ATS is and how it drives, it deserves a better transmission with more gears.

And the LFX does sound awesome in the ATS. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im really hoping GM will use the new turbo 3.0 liter V6 that will debut on the new CT6 here in a few months. Motor would be perfect for an ATS-VSport. I also think it would be wise to swap the CTS current LFX V6 out for the new 3.0 liter turbo. It would really give the CTS what it needs to tackle the 535i

·
Registered
19,265 Posts

Protip: When you phrase it as "power:weight" it technically becomes a ratio without qualifying it as one.

Also, turn off traction control.

Im really hoping GM will use the new turbo 3.0 liter V6 that will debut on the new CT6 here in a few months. Motor would be perfect for an ATS-VSport. I also think it would be wise to swap the CTS current LFX V6 out for the new 3.0 liter turbo. It would really give the CTS what it needs to tackle the 535i
Depending on the numbers for everything else... the new 3.0 could easily be the CTS to get.

Seriously hoping that the quoted 400hp figure was regarding the 3.0's output. LTG would probably get a bump in power and LF3 would, too.

Cadillac's lineup would be beyond killer... but I'm not expecting any miracles.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Protip: When you phrase it as "power:weight" it technically becomes a ratio without qualifying it as one.

Also, turn off traction control.
True. You know which one gets me? PIN Number, VIN Number, etc.

I tried a few runs with TC off. It didn't do much. AWD helps it launch nicely.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Great looking car and I'm still very much surprised that they are making them with a manual transmission, amazing.

Only thing that I have an issue with the car is that damn cheap instrumentation. For a $48,000 the dashboard looks dismal. My 7-year old Subaru's instruments look better. Aside from that the interior looks great.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
True. You know which one gets me? PIN Number, VIN Number, etc.

I tried a few runs with TC off. It didn't do much. AWD helps it launch nicely.
You don't like typing your PIN Number into the ATM Machine?

On the GM cars you can usually turn off traction control completely, however the ECU still sometimes runs "torque management" in the background regardless to protect components, that can't be disabled without aftermarket tuning.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You don't like typing your PIN Number into the ATM Machine?

On the GM cars you can usually turn off traction control completely, however the ECU still sometimes runs "torque management" in the background regardless to protect components, that can't be disabled without aftermarket tuning.
Yeah I concur, tq mgt is ALWAYS on, it protects components and makes the powertrain smooth. When you turn it off on the turbos the engine gets much more peaky and rough around the edge. But in return you get moar powah.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Not Your Granddaddy's Caddy, Coupe de Ville, or Eldorado.
MotorTrend
January 21, 2015
By: Jason Udy

Despite being sexier than their four-door contemporaries, coupe sales have waned over the past few decades because the sedan has a more practical bodystyle. Although there are fewer coupe choices today than there have been historically, there are still several choices in the compact premium personal coupe segment (Audi A5, BMW 4 Series, Infiniti Q60, Lexus RC, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class). Last year, the 2014 Cadillac ATS sedan arrived to take on the BMW 3 Series sedan, so it comes as no surprise that the 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe is aimed squarely at the rechristened BMW 4 Series coupe.

Our rear-drive 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe Premium tester equipped with the base 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and no-cost six-speed manual starts at $48,090 (including $995 destination). Standard performance features on the Premium trim include a performance suspension with magnetic ride control, limited-slip differential, Brembo brakes, and staggered 18-inch machined-finish forged alloy wheels wrapped in run-flat summer tires size 225/45R 18 front and 255/40R18 rear.

Full article available at link.

The worn-out, "Not your father's / grandfather's / granddaddy's [fill in vehicle type]" headline is really getting old for new car reviews. Can't auto critics think of something new? The original Oldsmobile tag line has been copied and plagiarized so many times I've lost count.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts