GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Solstice Delivered

General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz addresses the crowd prior to presenting the keys to the first Pontiac Solstice two-seat roadster, VIN # 001, at a special ceremony on the floor of the Wintergarden at the GM Renaissance Center Friday, August 5, 2005 in Detroit. Shelly and Clark Brinton of Idaho received their vehicle in front of hundreds of GM employees and more than 100 owners of the First 1,000 Pontiac Solstice owners group, representing 30 states. Shipments of the remaining First 1,000 Solstices, which were sold in only 41 minutes in April, will continue from GM's Wilmington (Delaware) Assembly Plant, followed by the additional 9,000 orders already received. (General Motors/John F. Martin)

General Motors Pontiac Marketing Director Mark-Hans Richer, talks with Clark Brinton of Idaho about his new car, the first Pontiac Solstice two-seat roadster, VIN # 001, after a special presentation ceremony on the floor of the Wintergarden at the GM Renaissance Center Friday, August 5, 2005 in Detroit. Lutz delivered the keys to in front of hundreds of GM employees and more than 100 owners of the First 1,000 Pontiac Solstice owners group, representing 30 states. Shipments of the remaining First 1,000 Solstices, which were sold in only 41 minutes in April, will continue from GM's Wilmington (Delaware) Assembly Plant, followed by the additional 9,000 orders already received. (General Motors/John F. Martin)

A line of 2006 Pontiac Solstice vehicles line the street outside the Wintergarden at the GM Renaissance Center prior to a ceremony to present the first Solstice Friday, August 5, 2005 in Detroit. Hundreds of GM employees and more than 100 owners of the First 1,000 Pontiac Solstice owners group, representing 30 states attended the event. Shipments of the remaining First 1,000 Solstices, which were sold in only 41 minutes in April, will continue from GM's Wilmington (Delaware) Assembly Plant, followed by the additional 9,000 orders already received. (General Motors/John F. Martin)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
So I wonder how those people got to get the first one. I also wonder if those people appreciate what they have. If the Solstice becomes a huge hit like I believe it will, the number one Solstice will be an instant collector's item.

·
Registered
139 Posts
T-Type said:
So I wonder how those people got to get the first one. I also wonder if those people appreciate what they have. If the Solstice becomes a huge hit like I believe it will, the number one Solstice will be an instant collector's item.
LOL how? Its not A special edition car, not low production. Now the first Blue devil or GTO Judge will become $$$$$ if they are driven in to a garage and never see the road.

Its just a 20k pontiac! lol

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boost said:
LOL how? Its not A special edition car, not low production. Now the first Blue devil or GTO Judge will become $$$$$ if they are driven in to a garage and never see the road.

It is a limited-production car though. 20K a year... It will certainly hold its value well.

·
Banned
8,781 Posts
Boost said:

It is low production, and it is special edition. It will have a plate that reads 001 on the dashboard. All of the first thousand Solstices have a numeric plate on the interior that signifies their specialness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was standing near the first car when one of the men from the audience offered the couple from idaho 100,000 dollars for it. It took them a moment, but they turned down the offer. (I was waiting at the dealership the night of the apprentice show, and my saleslady called it in the second that the number was given, and I still got beaten out;)All in all, there were 140 solstice owners at the event, most of them older gentlemen who were addicted to solsticeforums.com.
When I went to the dealer earlier today to check the progress my car had made, I was told that it was built the last week of July, and that it has been in holding since then. My saleslady was also unaware of the celebration, I guess that GM didn't let too many people know about it.
Most of the cars that I had a chance to play around in had a few minor pre-production jitters, such as loose panels and free-floating carpeting, but other than that, the interiors were outstanding. The seats were very supportive, the legroom was far better than I had imagined, (i'm only 5'11, but for such a small car i was expecting for it to be cramped), and the ride was excellent. The gentleman who accompanied me on my drive(he engineered the car's brake system) was 6'2 and weighed 270lbs, and he had no problems with room. Finally,the exhaust note did not seem like one that a typical four banger would emit, it was very deep and punchy.
I can't comment on the shift linkage or anything like that since I have no clue how to drive stick. Hopefully I'll learn before mine comes in the comming week.
I will never be able to thank GM enough for making this purchase so special for me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I doubt the first 1000 will be worth any more than their later bretheren - it's just not that kind of car.

I'm very very curious as to the driving experiences the first owners have; has GM hustled and got the Soltice out the door at a good time with the issues fixed? Or is the cake not quite done yet?

·
Banned
8,781 Posts
If the Solstice becomes a car as noteworthy as the Corvette (in its respective class of vehicles) over the course of the next two decades, the very first one ever made, with a special plaque and certificate and crap, is going to be worth money. And if it sputters out after two or three years, the first one still might be worth something, as it represents an oddity in the Pontiac lineup.

Either way, I'd definitely have sold it for a hundred grand at that show.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
AdmiralViscen said:
Either way, I'd definitely have sold it for a hundred grand at that show.
Me too, and I would've offered someone else at the show 40,000 for theirs. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
oldsmobuick said:
(I was waiting at the dealership the night of the apprentice show, and my saleslady called it in the second that the number was given, and I still got beaten out;)
I don't understand this, didn't the orders get taken the next day starting at 2 pm EST? Therefore, the cars were sold out by 2:41 pm on the 15th.

If I had the money, I would've been down there as soon as they opened on the 15th and sat around the dealership till 2.

Also, wasn't car #1 the car featured on the apprentice? Or was that a pre-production car with the plaque stuck on?

I will be absolutely shocked if this car ever becomes worth one hundred thousand dollars, and I would've sold it on the spot. Buying vehicles as an investment is one of the most foolish things someone can do with their money. That's assuming this guy didn't just really want the car for himself.

If I was at Pontiac, car #1 would not have been sold and been held by General Motors for history.

·
Registered
53 Posts
plane said:
If the Solstice and Sky are big hits, will GM stick to the 20K a year production numbers?
20k was for the Solstice, 10K for the Sky and another 5k is reserved for other Kappas... at least that is what I have heard...these are limited by the production capabilitys of the equipment they have, they will have to start another production line including production of frames and body panels to increase production beyond that...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
classic66vair said:
20k was for the Solstice, 10K for the Sky and another 5k is reserved for other Kappas... at least that is what I have heard...these are limited by the production capabilitys of the equipment they have, they will have to start another production line including production of frames and body panels to increase production beyond that...
What about if they made other Kappas without the hydroformed body panels?

·
Registered
53 Posts
VivienM said:
What about if they made other Kappas without the hydroformed body panels?
the frames are Hydroformed also... for the design to have the strength it needs to be done that way , for the body panels they might use traditional methods but only if they use a simpler design... without the compound curves like the Solstice or Sky

·
Registered
53 Posts
Boost said:

and a 63 Corvette was just a 4,000 dollar Chevy....checked on what they are selling for now? or a 63 Nova was a 2,000 dollar Chevy...

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/3/2/78573032.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/2/8/63459128.htm

I even bought a 65 Corvette Roadster in 1974 for $2,100, I saw one just the other day just like it for sale for over $30,000
You don;t buy a car anticipating Collectabillity, but as they say Hindsight is 20/20... if you had only bought the very first (name any muscle car) and put it and all documentation in Storage...and did the upkeep to keep it like new...

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
oldsmobuick said:
...When I went to the dealer earlier today to check the progress my car had made, I was told that it was built the last week of July...I will never be able to thank GM enough for making this purchase so special for me.
How exciting! It sounds like you're already enjoying the Solstice, and you haven't even taken delivery of it yet.

It's refreshing to see someone get so excited about a GM purchase. And it's refreshing that oldsmobuick appears to have lots of company.

·
Registered
251 Posts
HEY
I hope Bob Lutz remembered to go over the survey that comes in 30 days...
You need a "Completely satisfied" Marked on all questions And "Definitely will " on Questions #10 and #14, Mr Lutz-LOL. (And did we offer an orientation drive hhhmmmmm.) :yup:

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
classic66vair said:
You don;t buy a car anticipating Collectabillity, but as they say Hindsight is 20/20... if you had only bought the very first (name any muscle car) and put it and all documentation in Storage...and did the upkeep to keep it like new...
That why I am keeping my GTO. Although it is not number one, it is one of only 800 that were Pulse Red and one of about 200 or so that have the A4 transmission. I just hope it holds up with all the driving I do. :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.