1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Pre-Production Cadillac LYRIQ Rolls Off Assembly Line in China
General Motors China
5/7/2022

Cadillac reached another electric vehicle milestone today in China with the start of pre-production of the LYRIQ at SAIC-GM’s Cadillac plant in Shanghai.

The first all-electric vehicle from GM’s luxury brand has now entered its final stage of development in China before mass production and deliveries to customers. This stage includes optimizing the manufacturing process, conducting reliability tests and carrying out local validation of various vehicle functions including infotainment system and driver assist technology to ensure the highest level of craftsmanship and quality.

“I want to thank the team for doing an excellent job to achieve this important milestone during this critical period of time,” said Chris Biggs, vice president of Cadillac in China. “It’s a strong testament to our world-class manufacturing.”

He added, “Today takes us one big step closer to enabling our customers to enjoy the industry-leading EV technology and luxury experience that only Cadillac can offer.”

The LYRIQ is built on GM’s ground-breaking Ultium platform. Its rear-drive long-range luxury variant that will be available in the domestic market has a China Light-Duty Vehicle Test Cycle (CLTC) range of over 650 kilometers. Its standard features include a 33-inch-diagonal LED infotainment screen, large panoramic glass dome and GM’s Super Cruise driver assist technology with lane-changing capability.

Cadillac opened pre-sales of the LYRIQ in China last November. In just one hour, more than 1,000 preorders were received. Deliveries of the LYRIQ to customers will commence in mid-2022.

·
Registered
21,008 Posts
I had a customer in my office this morning who has the best of both worlds - a brand new diesel powered Sierra in his driveway, and an anticipated late summer delivery of a first edition Lyriq. Two state of the art GM products replacing two Audi SUVs. Nice!
I still have a lot of respect for the German makes, generally beautifully crafted machines. But they are rapidly losing their allure with their inflated prices. At this point it seems like all their high prices offer is better matched trim pieces - not worth the massive premium. American makes have more or less caught up in my eyes.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,769 Posts
I had a customer in my office this morning who has the best of both worlds - a brand new diesel powered Sierra in his driveway, and an anticipated late summer delivery of a first edition Lyriq. Two state of the art GM products replacing two Audi SUVs. Nice!
Diesel anything ain't so good right now. Fortunately I sold mine last year.
But wait it out... what went up will go down.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Diesel anything ain't so good right now. Fortunately I sold mine last year.
But wait it out... what went up will go down.
Man you ain't kidding, over 6 dollars per gallon right now in my state, add in DEF and yikes! I don't care if they get 40 miles to the gallon which we all know most people with the baby diesel are lucky to see an average over 20 mpg, i get almost 23 with my 6.2 gasser on the highway so no, 27 mpg is not very impressive to me when the fuel is nearing double the cost of reg unleaded here in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
...we all know most people with the baby diesel are lucky to see an average over 20 mpg...
I don't think that's remotely true (barring towing). Via a year of observation of numerous forums, it seems like most are getting better than their rating.

8500 miles to date and I'm averaging high 23s, low 24s with basically no highway time, in the most congested state in the U.S.. Best so far was when I had 1 week of commuting via the Parkway (about 30 mins 1-way total) and my best hit 26.4. (My combination is rated 22/26). This motor gets solidly over 20 with ease.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I don't think that's remotely true (barring towing). Via a year of observation of numerous forums, it seems like most are getting better than their rating.

8500 miles to date and I'm averaging high 23s, low 24s with basically no highway time, in the most congested state in the U.S.. Best so far was when I had 1 week of commuting via the Parkway (about 30 mins 1-way total) and my best hit 26.4. (My combination is rated 22/26). This motor gets solidly over 20 with ease.
And at double the price of gasoline in my area, any increases which are minimal are completely negated. Too bad they didn't make the baby diesel earlier, right now the government seems to be forcing people out of them if you ask me. Been driving for over 3 decades now and never remembered the gap between gasoline and diesel prices being this much, i don't know maybe i just wasn't paying attention.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I've been driving diesels since '06- in my state diesel was cheaper than gas right up until about 2 years before that, when it inverted. All along diesel ran between roughly 25 cents and 75 cents more /gal. Currently tho it's about $1.75 more ($4.25 vs. $6). Up until the diesel price jump last week, getting 6 or 7 MPG better than gas -even with diesel being .75 more /gal- you were ahead, money-wise. Now a gas truck is cheaper to run than a diesel.

Hope the price spread shrinks ASAP. I'd never sell my Duramax because of fuel price tho.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts