GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

See that drawing in the right corner of the pic? That's an official VW render of the company's new pickup, internally called the Robust. It's hanging at an event called ExpoAgro in Argentina, where the truck will be built. The banner on the left says "The VW pickup for the field." VW isn't playing around with the model, either, having invested a billion pesos into its Pacheco factory to get ready for the vehicle's 2009 or 2010 launch.

The render presents a neat profile that looks low to the ground -- more ute than pickup really, much like the VW Rabbit pickup from almost three decades ago. We do find the rear sloping roof a bit odd, seeing that it would eat into quite a bit of bed space if the line continued into the bed. But it's just a render, so we don't want to read too much into it. With carmakers putting fake interiors in test mules nowadays, for all we know, the Robust render could also be a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl.

[Source: Argentina Auto Blog] English Version; http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/10/hecha-en-argentina-first-official-drawing-of-vws-new-pickup/

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
some drawing....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
goood find!!
so is it based on what? tuareg? tiguan? beetle?
It was supposed to be based on the Taureg (However it is spelled, whacky name that it is) Though there is some inication that VW is building a new platform specifically for this model, that is why they used a Toyota Hilux shell while doing cold weather testing.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
We'll see how they price it. I'm sure it'll be pretty inflated which will kill the sales numbers in typical VW fashion nowadays....
Odd considering VW is trying to shift much of its production to lower prices

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
We'll see how they price it. I'm sure it'll be pretty inflated which will kill the sales numbers in typical VW fashion nowadays....
Porshe might fix that issue. It will be interesteing to see what Porsche does with VW anyway.

Soooo... why does VW need a truck?

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Many things puzzle me about the Touareg:
1. The name.
2. The cost. Base price over $39,000 for the V6. $48,000 for the V8. $68,000 for the diesel.
3. The weight. 5300 pounds for the V8, and compared to the Tahoe it's 14.8 inches shorter in length, 3.1 inches narrower, and 8.9 inches shorter in height. The Touareg is also unibody, and not body on frame.

I don't see how they could possible make a pickup truck out of that platform. It would be the height, width, and length of a compact, the weight and cost of a half ton, the fuel economy of a three quarter ton.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Many things puzzle me about the Touareg:
1. The name.
2. The cost. Base price over $39,000 for the V6. $48,000 for the V8. $68,000 for the diesel.
3. The weight. 5300 pounds for the V8, and compared to the Tahoe it's 14.8 inches shorter in length, 3.1 inches narrower, and 8.9 inches shorter in height. The Touareg is also unibody, and not body on frame.

I don't see how they could possible make a pickup truck out of that platform. It would be the height, width, and length of a compact, the weight and cost of a half ton, the fuel economy of a three quarter ton.
Yeah, well whoever told you that VW has some clue as to what they've been doing for the past half decade was lying to your face. I don't see how any of this fits into VWNA's product portfolio, but then I was also lost by the new Jetta, moving the whole brand up market, competing with Audi, etc...

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
It is better looking than the Ridgeline, but that's not saying much. If it came to the US I wouldn't expect anyone to be giving up their stronger, lighter, more powerful, and more efficient fullsizers for something like this based on the Touraeg.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If they brought that to the U.S., w/ an affordable diesel and a fully capable off-road pkg like the Tiguan and Toureg have, I would be all over this as a weekend hauler pickup. Especially if it comes w/ the handling, safety equipment and standard features most VW's have...I'm liking it...

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Yeah, well whoever told you that VW has some clue as to what they've been doing for the past half decade was lying to your face. I don't see how any of this fits into VWNA's product portfolio, but then I was also lost by the new Jetta, moving the whole brand up market, competing with Audi, etc...
Good point. Still, that weight puzzles me. None of their other US models are so exceptionally heavy for their size.

·
Registered
885 Posts
VW's can tend to be heavy, but they are typically safe and come standard w/ a number of safety features (ABS/AntiSlipRegulation/side airbags)...and what they lose in a few mpg's due to weight they make up for w/ modern transmissions and fun to drive handling characteristics...

I haven't driven any of the newer Saturns yet nor the Cobalt/HHR SS...so maybe GM is catching on...but some of that is what makes VW's appealing...

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
The Passat sedan is 188 inches long and 3200 pounds. That's relatively light for a midsize sedan that size.

The Jetta sedan is 180 inches long and 3300 pounds (it uses a larger, heavier engine than the Passat). That's relatively heavy for its class, but only by 200 pounds or so above the average.

The Touareg is about the same size externally as a Ford Taurus X, 2008 Toyota Highlander, or Hyundai Veracruz. With all in AWD V6 trim, it outweighs the others by 600-950 pounds. The Saturn Outlook XR AWD or Mazda CX-9 AWD have substantially more space inside and greater exterior dimensions, and they still undercut it on weight by at least 200 pounds.

I understand that VWs tend to do really well on safety and crash tests. But it seems like an upper-midsize crossover SUV, especially one with a base price of nearly $40,000, can be made safe and rugged without needing that much extra weight.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The Passat sedan is 188 inches long and 3200 pounds. That's relatively light for a midsize sedan that size.

The Jetta sedan is 180 inches long and 3300 pounds (it uses a larger, heavier engine than the Passat). That's relatively heavy for its class, but only by 200 pounds or so above the average.

The Touareg is about the same size externally as a Ford Taurus X, 2008 Toyota Highlander, or Hyundai Veracruz. With all in AWD V6 trim, it outweighs the others by 600-950 pounds. The Saturn Outlook XR AWD or Mazda CX-9 AWD have substantially more space inside and greater exterior dimensions, and they still undercut it on weight by at least 200 pounds.

I understand that VWs tend to do really well on safety and crash tests. But it seems like an upper-midsize crossover SUV, especially one with a base price of nearly $40,000, can be made safe and rugged without needing that much extra weight.
So in other words, this thing is like a Chevy Astro??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts