GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,418 Posts

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Re: First look at a production Epsilon 2 car ?

BFD.

An Acura with an Audi/VW grille.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

i didn't know suzuki had rights to use the newer platforms considering GM sold their stake a while ago

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts

Holy mutha that looks good! I wish Suzuki would unleash their potential and start challengine Nissan and Mazda outside of Japan.

Joevette, if they're using it they must have come up with some sort of agreement, though I also was surprised to read that. It would be a bit hard to swallow if a Suzuki EpsilonII ends up being nicer than anything GM builds off of it!

·
Super Moderator
10,889 Posts

The Suzuki Kizashi 3 concept...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/20/new-york-2008-suzuki-unveils-kizashi-3-concept-coming-in-2010/

Has too much in common with the Opel Insignia spyshots to be not based on the same platform.
Agman - though the looks are close, I doubt that it has anything to do with the Epsilon2. I say this in light of GM selling off most of Suzuki's stock and Nissan now cooperating with Suzuki on a host of products.

If anything, I'd think that this would be a unqiue Suzuki platform OR one that has shared bits with Nissan.

Just an assumption, but I dont think there is enough evidence to support the Epsilon angle.....

Just my two cents....
i didn't know suzuki had rights to use the newer platforms considering GM sold their stake a while ago
They dont -- the cooperation was extended only to the current crop of cars at GMDAT and few other projects (the HF V6 family was one, but only in conjunction with the Theta platform, etc).

I dont think there is a connection either.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts

Suzuki may have simply licensed the use of the Ep2 platform from GM. Such a move would save Suzuki the cost of developing a platform.

And even if GM no longer has a stake in Suzuki, that doesn't stop them from co-operating on product design.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Re: NYIAS 08: Suzuki Kizashi 3 Concept

The hood on the side view is a little too bulbous for my liking, however, if suzuki were to begin taking pages from GM's books, and building production models that were extremely close to their concepts, I think many of the auto makers would have a force to contend with. All 3 Kizashi models are really amazing looking. Lets just hope that something comes from them!

-Chase

·
Registered
8,971 Posts

I think it's gorgeous, but the cabin is too short and I bet it hurts head room and visibility.

Suzuki hasn't been anywhere close to winning a comparison test recently, and their crash test ratings aren't that impressive either. But I think the styling on their SUVs is among the best in the small and midsize segent, and this Kizashi 3 looks better than 90% of the sedans on the road.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I think it looks awesome, especially if they tone down the gaping grille by giving the bumper bar within it body color as they did in the concept. The fact that it has production bumper seams gives me hope that something this cool will be for sale in 2010. Here's hoping the next Impala is based on this same platform and is equally visually intense and risky.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts

The hood on the side view is a little too bulbous for my liking, however, if suzuki were to begin taking pages from GM's books, and building production models that were extremely close to their concepts, I think many of the auto makers would have a force to contend with. All 3 Kizashi models are really amazing looking. Lets just hope that something comes from them!

-Chase
I agree about the bulbous hood, but assume it is to meet new European pedestrian impact standards.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
The specs say 183 inches long (for comparison, the Malibu 192, Impala 200, G8 196), Wheelbase 110.2 (Malibu 112.3, Impala 110.5, G8 114.8), 74.8 inches wide (Malibu 70.3, Impala 72.9, G8 74.8), 57.1 inches tall (Malibu 57.1, Impala 58.7, G8 57.7).

The wheelbase and width probably give it more cabin space than the Malibu, maybe close to the Impala. Assuming it's Epsilon 2, a stretched version would probably have a ton of space.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts

They dont -- the cooperation was extended only to the current crop of cars at GMDAT and few other projects (the HF V6 family was one, but only in conjunction with the Theta platform, etc).

I dont think there is a connection either.
the GM Wikipedia template
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:General_Motors still mention then GM still got 3% of Suzuki, I don't know if they had sold that part since.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Edmunds explicitly says Epsilon in one place, then mentions a "3.6 DOHC V6" in another - Nissan doesn't have a V6 of that displacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts