GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ottawa, Ontario. (Thursday, March 18, 2004) - General Motors of Canada announced today that the first hybrid trucks in the industry have been sold to customers across the country.

Michael Grimaldi, President of General Motors of Canada said, "The introduction of the industry's first hybrid trucks is the next phase in our strategy of focusing on the highest fuel consuming vehicles first. We already have a hybrid transit bus. We now have a hybrid truck and will soon introduce hybrid SUV's and passenger cars."

In his recent remarks at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto, the Honourable R. John Efford, Minister of Natural Resources Canada said, "It's very important that we target our efforts on overall fuel savings and emission reductions. GM's strategy of focusing on the highest fuel consuming vehicles could make a significant impact on reducing greenhouse gas emissions."

Hybrids are an integral part of GM Canada's environmental plan, which also includes operating clean facilities, being a leader in fuel efficiency, offering a range of alternate fuel vehicles, and leading the industry in research and development:

1. GM has reduced CO2 emissions from its facilities by 35% since 1990.

2. Its hybrid strategy of focusing on the highest fuel consuming vehicles first provides the greatest opportunity for reduction in overall fuel consumption.

3. GM Canada has won more Natural Resources Canada fuel efficiency awards than any other manufacturer.

4. GM offers a wide range of alternate fuel vehicles including Natural Gas, E-85 Ethanol and E-10 Ethanol.

5. GM Canada leads the industry in research and development in Canada. It has a Vehicle Engineering Centre in Oshawa, has numerous research projects with Canadian universities, and has strategic partnerships with Canada leading fuel cell companies -- Hydrogenics and General Hydrogen.

GM's hybrid trucks are available as Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra full-size pickups. They are currently available to fleet customers and will be available to retail consumers later this year.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Good for GM!

Let's see how the Toyota/Honda-biased media run this story. I'm sure they will spin it to give GM little credit.

Mark

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Why not America?
America sells Prius, Insight, Civic Hybrid...
Yes, Canada sells all of them too, but the American market is the largest. If GM were to make a difference, they could create hybrid trucks here and get a whole bunch of media going berzserk about it...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
refuling systems...e-85 is rather hard to come by in the states...up here it's not exactly everywhere but it's much easier to find...

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
no it isn't, only when you're in the "grain-belt" places (Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba) will you find that stuff.

Case in point:

There are 5 "ethanol" fuel stations (ie, just 1 pump and 3 gas 2 diesel or so) on the island of Montreal (about 3,326,510 people, about 10% of the Canadian populace). As far as I recall, I haven't seen one that actually sells E-85 blend, only "ethanol blend" (the heck is that?) so let's say that's like an E-5 or so (so someone won't kill their Civic with it).

easy to get?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Mar 20 2004, 11:10 PM
Why not America?
America sells Prius, Insight, Civic Hybrid...
Yes, Canada sells all of them too, but the American market is the largest. If GM were to make a difference, they could create hybrid trucks here and get a whole bunch of media going berzserk about it...
They're testing it out on the Canadians.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Uh, with GM not bringing this out to the US might give Toyota the idea to put this in their Tundra. Highly unlikely, but if it did happen Toyota would tell all of us that they are the first to bring a hybrid pickup to the market, without mentioning that GM came up with it first in Canada. LOL

·
Registered
651 Posts
OK, amazing what you find out when your not lazy and actually do something on your own ;) Some very interesting information for those who would like to learn about GM's hybrid systems.

from GMCanada.com:

We have also announced a portfolio of hybrid vehicles -- including Mass Transit Buses and Pick up Trucks that are available today. Introductions of a Saturn VUE hybrid in 2006 and Chevrolet Suburban or Tahoe and GMC Denali or Denali XL full size utility vehicles in 2007 are planned -- that will transition GM on the Road to Hydrogen, ultimately removing the automobile from the environmental debate

And as for stats on the GMC Sierra PHT:
The V8 engine uses clean parallel hybrid technology, in which the engine powers the battery to run the wheels, improving fuel economy 10 to 15 percent, without compromising performance.

Infographic

Sierra PHT Fact Sheet

Hybrid info (Sierra, VUE and Bus)

And finally, GM's Hybrid Timeline, including info on a Strong hybrid Tahoe & Yukon by 2007:

Hybrid Timeline

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Oh, so the Vue Hybrid comes out in 2006 and the pickups/SUVs come out in 2007...hmm. I thought they were being released this year or next year but now that I see this I have to admit that GM is behind the game again, well in some areas. The Ford Escape Hybrid is already coming out - finally - and that is at least a good year ahead of the Vue. Well, at least GM has a plan so good for them.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by usa1@Mar 20 2004, 03:25 AM
Good for GM!

Let's see how the Toyota/Honda-biased media run this story. I'm sure they will spin it to give GM little credit.

Mark
It will be like reading about George Bush signing something into law that the usual suspects in the media should actually be happy for.

About halfway though the article the biased journalists will add:

"But critics say,"

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
;) Fellows do not get this confused with( DOD) which gm said would be available next year in Taho,Trailblazer,and some GMC vehicles. Louis here.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Who said anything about DOD here?

·
Registered
20 Posts
:) Louis here i said these for information, gm is already offering this Electric combo option on few fleet truck in the USA, it just happen they sold the first in Canada. Gm never said they would apply this accross board on all it trucks by next year. they said that by next year they would have DoD on the 5.3 for Trailblazer.Envoy and hopefuly 200,000 by the year 2008 on all its trucks. If you are not confused with what gm is going to offer next year, i apologize.

·
Registered
651 Posts
In the info I read GM stated plans to relased both DoD and hybrid on select vehicles for an estimated fuel increase of 25-30%. I would assume it will end up being lower but DoD and hybrid would naturally complement themselves as Hybrid is worse over highway type driving while this is where DoD really becomes usefull. Hopefully GM doesn't price themselves too high with this great new technology as they seem to have done with Quadrasteer. Overall though I was very supprised and pleased to read about GM's agressive plans to implement fuel saving technologies, it certainly seems like a good shift from previous statements made by Lutz over the uselessness of hybrids.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
E-85 has a octane raiting of over 100, but is cheaper to make then 87. Actualy, most older cars can run it. If you have a good steal gas tank, all you need to do is change over the filters and maybe injectors(if you have a EFI)? It burns cleaner and I belive is mostly made up of corn, which America makes A LOT of. Im sure there are more E-85 stations in the mid-west then on the east coast. I belive there is a E-85 station that is run by the state in my town.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts