GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it?

This is the new Vauxhall Insignia, the creators of which I found myself admiring a little bit more with every mile I drove it. Not just for their handsome new car’s performance — we’ll come to that later — but for the way they have fallen to the daunting task of creating a great product for a sector which has halved in size in half a dozen years.

However, ten per cent of car sales in the UK alone still amounts to 200,000-odd cars a year, worth billions. The sector was clearly worth fighting for. The question was how the mainstreamers should arrest the trend.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Vauxhall-Insignia-2.0T-SRi/235202/

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Re: Vauxhall Insignia 2.0T first drive

Great review, wonderful car. And that's coming to Canada, I hear, as the Regal though another thread said not to the US? Odd.

No matter, I could see myself buying one of these when the kids leave home. And nearly 32mpg (imperial) combined! Awesome. That's 8.8 l/100km, which as a combined number is awesome.

Plus, that 4 banger moves the Insignia along at a fantastic clip. 0-60 in 7.2 for a 4-banger. That's good enough for me!

·
Banned
6,653 Posts

So what, Americans have to wait 3 years before this shows up in the rare Saturn dealership?

·
Registered
510 Posts

Great review, wonderful car. And that's coming to Canada, I hear, as the Regal though another thread said not to the US? Odd.
Last I heard, it's coming to North America as the next gen Saturn Aura.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It may not be that exact car that you see as the Saturn Aura, but a resytled/redeveloped version on the same platform and it will be a couple of years of yet due to the fact the Aura isn't really old enough to be replaced yet and still needs to 'pay for itself' first.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It may not be that exact car that you see as the Saturn Aura, but a resytled/redeveloped version on the same platform and it will be a couple of years of yet due to the fact the Aura isn't really old enough to be replaced yet and still needs to 'pay for itself' first.
This is exactly the kind of logic that will guarentee GM stays behind in the market.

If you have a better model, launch it now. Mistakes of the past should not continue just because they have not been around long enough.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mistakes of the past should not continue just because they have not been around long enough.
I don't think the Aura has that much wrong with it. I agree that this is a better product, but it takes a lot of time and money to move from one model to the next... so just because you have a better product, doesn't mean it's physically possible to start producing it at another plant right away.

The supply (contracts, production lead time, shipping) of parts alone is complicated and time consuming enough for it to take a year to implement... and that's just one piece of the puzzle.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I wonder if we will be lucky enough to get the 2.0 4-cyl turbo in the Buick version. That could make it the "hottest" midsize in the market place.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Nice review and I would love to buy but it won't be here for at least 2 years.

My new Malibu is all greatness anyway!!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
GM will spend the money to revamp the Insignia to make it a Saturn (even though it's already the perfect Saturn)... but won't replace the G6, which sells in the massive Pontiac dealership chain. Some days GMs problems seem pretty easy to understand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts