GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove the first Colorado in my area today. It was a CC long box Z71 in the metallic red color. The engine and transmission operated flawlessly. Rolling in the gas it seamlessly shifted when it should and accelerated exactly as it should. I never liked the old Colorado as it felt noisy, rough, loose and cheap. The new Colorado's feel like a slightly smaller Silverado. It is very quiet, tight, and the doors close nice and solid. When going a steady speed and stepping on it, it down shifts exactly like it should. True, it is not a v-8 but the v-6 revs nice and does NOT feel under powered what so ever. All I can say is WOW...very nice job GM!

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
What? You are focusing on driving feel, you should be focusing on some piece of misaligned trim that you can only see if you jam your head under the dashboard and telling us all how it is a terrible vehicle because something we will never see is there!!!! :)

Good to hear it actually works well and doesn't just look good!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I figured these would be large improvements over the previous gen. Kinda similar to the massive upgrade the 5th Gen Camaro was to the 4th Gen. They've had plenty of time to figure out what is wrong with the old, where the competition is, and address both.

It is nice to hear the truck runs/operates smoothly. I've read a lot of stories about the GM 6-speed not knowing which gear to shift to under certain circumstances (upshift too early, downshift requiring heavy acceleration), so this review is encouraging.

The true test of these vehicles will be when the revised Tacoma and Frontier come out. This truck should sell damn well for awhile, given how old and out-of-date the direct competition is, but when the competition catches up, I'm wondering if old loyalties will remain or if these trucks can gain ground on a Toyota-dominated segment.

When the diesel is available, GM will get my money.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is the sticker but it includes the $3k wheels that are a dealer installed option. What does the dealer do with the 17" tires and the extra wheels???

View attachment 24761
He upgrades a different truck on the lot with the wheels/tires he removed and charges them $2,800 for the upgrade.

Eventually he ends up with the lowest level of tires a truck comes with, and he sells the rims/tires at full replacement price to some bloke who had a blowout or had his entire set of rims/tires stolen with the truck left on blocks.

Why do you think they are called dealers? It's a helluva a deal, for them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No v8 and no recab options killed it for me.
Regular cabs are going the way of the dinosaur. In 2015, no one is selling a new mid-size in the US with a regular cab. If GM offered it, the take rate would probably be less than 5%, and primarily would be low end trucks with very little profit. I would almost guarantee they would only offer it with the 4 cyl gas as well.

Curious, if GM offered a regular cab on this truck, would you want them to offer it with the 6 foot bed, and just make a truck shorter than the extended cab, or to offer it the same length as the extended cab, but with a longer bed, perhaps 7.5 foot bed?

Or, would the buyers of regular cabs split between the 6 foot and 7.5 foot beds, effectively requiring GM to make two new models of the truck.

A V8 in this truck is overkill. A V6 with 300 HP, and the upcoming diesel, should cover 99% of the market.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
On the next round of down-sizing, these will be the new "full-size," as this size fits most peoples' needs unless you do a lot of towing.
I looked at the Colorado the other day and like the more compact than Silverado size just fine.
What will get my dollars is a Trailblazer with the 4.3 or mmore ideally 5.3. I'm guessing availability in 2016!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He upgrades a different truck on the lot with the wheels/tires he removed and charges them $2,800 for the upgrade.

Eventually he ends up with the lowest level of tires a truck comes with, and he sells the rims/tires at full replacement price to some bloke who had a blowout or had his entire set of rims/tires stolen with the truck left on blocks.

Why do you think they are called dealers? It's a helluva a deal, for them.
The dealer will call today about the $3k wheels. He doesn't really even want them because they would not be a big seller because the road salt damages wheels so bad. The dealer is in a farming community.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
What? You are focusing on driving feel, you should be focusing on some piece of misaligned trim that you can only see if you jam your head under the dashboard and telling us all how it is a terrible vehicle because something we will never see is there!!!! :)

Good to hear it actually works well and doesn't just look good!
lol....Actually my wife and I were the ones to check it out and it was looking like rain so I didn't get the magnifying glass out. I did notice that the paint was very shiny and smooth with no orange peel. The door, hood, and tail gate fits were very good this early in production. I didn't find any scratches, out dings, dents, marred fasteners,......nothing.

We did not play with any of the buttons and knobs except the climate control and that was easy to adjust. I normally would drive simpler W/T type trucks that don't have the gadgets. The tilt telescope wheel should be able to adjust for about any size human and uses a small lever to lock it in place. The driver seat was all the way back when I hopped in and it seems there is leg room for very tall people. I'm 5'11" and I had to move the seat way up. The pass seat was way back also and I could sit behind it with my legs straight forward. Seat spring/foam/firmness/shape was very nice surly not "cheap truck" stuff.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts