GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article from PickupTruck.com.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” asks the voice coming from inside the full-face racing helmet that covered the driver’s head.

The driver is Tom Wallace, who on his rare free weekends, races a tube-frame, carbon-bodied, 750-horsepower GT1-class Chevrolet Camaro. Wallace also was part of the engineering team that made GM history in the mid-1980s by building the Buick GNX, a rear-drive, turbo V6-powered car that was faster in the quarter-mile than the mighty Chevrolet Corvette.

For the next few laps, Wallace will wring out another rear-drive Chevy, although this one can switch to four-wheel-drive at the turn of a knob. This one also has four doors plus an open bed behind the passenger compartment and, for good measure, will tow 4000 pounds.

This is a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado, equipped with the ZQ8 “sport” suspension package. Wallace is vehicle line executive for General Motors’ mid-size trucks, and one of his roles is to push those trucks to – o.k., often beyond – their limits. Apparently it’s rare that anyone volunteers to ride along.

But I’ve chosen to do so because I know Wallace will get every foot-pound of performance out of this truck, will test the adhesion of its tires beyond the point where I’d be comfortable driving, and I want to experience just what this truck and suspension can do.

Full Article Here:That Crazy Full Article

·
Registered
685 Posts
Very interesting but a couple of mistakes.(?)

1. As of now, the ZQ8 is not availible with 4WD, as he seems to allude to.(I think it should be, though, and would buy one.)
2. He speaks of "the turbocharged Vibe". Nadda.

Other than that, great article. Can't WAIT for the SS.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Yeah, I think GM could hit a home run here in the compact world. As a V8 would be good, a power adder to the 5cyl would also be just as sweet. A turbo 5cyl goes back to the day of the sy/ty's. Id love for a 340hp supercharged motor, which if you think about it, seems feasable. Its about a 55% increase, and that can be done. Weither or not thats a safe margin for GM.... thats up to the suits. Chances are its going ot be 40% or less power increase to put it near 310hp.

and turbo vibe? Maybe turbo matrix.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
"While some old-timers might think you can put the SS badge only on vehicles with V8 engines, there may be others who are younger at heart, who just might accept an inline five cylinder – as long as it produces 300 or more horsepower, which Wallace says is possible with either a turbo or supercharger."

well, I want s/c v8... now I'm a little confused!

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I think that it would more than likely that the Colorado SS would get the Turbocharged 3500 I5 that I have heard rummors about. Add some AWD with about 300-320 Hp and you would have a blast.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I agree, I can't wait to hear the announcement for the SS, and am quite curious if a turbo is in the works, as a few concept turbo fives have been shown lately (H3-T??)!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 26 2004, 10:48 AM

and turbo vibe? Maybe turbo matrix.
There is a Supercharger available for the Vibe through GM Performance Parts.

About the Colorado...This truck would rock with the turbo or supercharged I-5.

·
Registered
685 Posts
A S/C is old news, thanks though, but I doubt it had it on the comparo model anyway. Never the less the writer said turbo and that is something an auto journalist shouldn't be mistaken about, IMO.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
power level discussion aside, the new gm pickups look fantastic. took a closer look last night (after the dealership was closed... couldn't get inside the trucks), and am thoroughy impressed. i really wish i was buying a new vehicle... canyon or colorado would top my list for sure. it'd be nice to try the 4 & 5 cylinder versions back to back and see how they feel. i'm not a hp kinda guy... i'd rather go by the feel of the vehicle... and wonder how strong the base engine feels.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I thought the 350-hp turbo 3.5 I5 in the Hummer was set for production?
If so, than a potential SS engine for the Colorado will already be ready!

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
There aren't any solid reprts that clearly state that the T-3.5 is set for production, however there have been plently of concepts that feature it (H3-T recently, Bel Air a while ago) and all of them have 350HP. Though I wouldn't expect a Colorado SS with 350HP, 300-320 sounds reasonable for a compact truck (Eventhough GM says its a midsize).

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think a 250-260 hp AWD Colorado would be perfect. It would be powerful but not too powerful and it will have alot of potential. Syclone was awesome but it was a threat to the Corvette.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the Colorados have a lot of potential and are an improvement over the out dated S-10's. It would be nice to see a turbo charger/super charger offered for these trucks. It would be a great option for the Z71 versions as well as the 2wd Z85 equiped trucks. On occasion I still see some Cyclones on the street. Those things were fast and quiet. A sweet sleeper for sure. Could smoke Mustangs all day in those... :plasma:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm going to go against the consensus and say to hell with all wheel drive. Gimmie some fat tires, a 6 speed, and ~325 hp, and preferably turbocharged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts