·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newsflash: The Beer-Can F-150 Feels Just Like a Truck
MotorTrend
October 1, 2014
By: Frank Markus

After a day spent in the Texas Hill Country driving and riding in the full range of 2015 F-150 trucks, the most striking thing about the world's first aluminum-bodied mainstream pickup is how unremarkable its aluminumness is. It doesn't crumple like Belushi's beer can when you lean against it. The door doesn't fling open when you give it steel-door effort and it closes with a conventionally solid thwunk. The truck doesn't fly any farther off a sharp railroad crossing than a normal truck. You'll basically have to study the numbers to appreciate what the 500-700-pound weight difference does for you -- or wait for your kid to fling a car door into it in the garage (it's actually way more dent resistant), or drive it for ten Michigan winters to notice it hasn't rusted out.

Full article at link.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I like the new truck and I look forward to seeing how the marketplace responds to it.

My only complaint is that even though the Sport package has replaced the FX2 model, it is still limited to a handful of basic colors instead of the whole Lariat color range. IMHO a Lariat with the Sport package in Guard or Blue Jean would be a sick looking truck.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Funny that the big contest of pickups is who is more below 0-60 in six seconds. Who'd have thought that would be the basis of comparison in 1980 when allegedly the sky was falling?

How ironic that CAFE - what was in 1980 supposed to ruin all the fun - is now the proximate cause of Ford going to aluminum and giving us 0-60mph in 5.6 secs?

Kind of weird to see Ram Hemi draw up the rear, since it has been the 'hot rod' pickup since its debut.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
We'll see how it does. Definitely not digging the looks. Don't really like the oversized grille, and hate the odd cutouts in the headlights (much like I hate the odd cutouts in the new Tahoe). Crew cab and taillights look very Tundra to me for some reason. Interior looks better, and I like the sliding rear window cutout.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
It looks good. I still hate the way Ford pickups drive. I prefer the steering and braking of Dodge/Ram and the overall smoothness of GMC/Chevy.

The day I sold my F-150 was the happiest day of my life so I'm admittedly biased against Ford trucks. Damn thing left me stranded repeatedly.

Has Ford resolved the oil sludging issues with the Ecoboost?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
It is barely discernible from the '14. Maybe not good when you are trying to convince everyone this is a revolution.

But I LOVE how they've finally canned the 'extendo-back-window' (a Ford trademark since the 'ol '97) that jutted out over the space between the cab and box.

Interesting to see the 'base' RC 6.5 going down to like 4050bs. That's pretty close to your '700 lbs' right there since the '14 (that they are STILL currently producing at the KC plant) is more like 4700.

I wonder if FOrd is counting on bigger jump in EPA city cycle. You can't have the 75" tall, 80" wide Ameri-truck and do very well on hwy mileage - aero force- not so much weight - is the bugbear there.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Has Ford resolved the oil sludging issues with the Ecoboost?
Do you have any additional details about this issue? I'm aware of fuel dilution of motor oil afflicting the Ford Ecoboost 3.5L engine (here's a TSB about it), but not of an unusual propensity for sludging.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Holy ****...5.5 sec to 60...that is one quick truck. That aside, the package is enticing. What I really like about it is that I can get a 8' bed in an extra cab, 4x4, with reverse opening extra cab doors, and a flat load floor for long items that need to be kept dry... It's also very techie, which is a take it or leave it affair for me. It's looks are...well...different, but I do like that the tire/wheels do not look awkwardly small in their wheel wells...

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Did MT really write an unidentified advertorial like this - and not once mention the words "fuel economy" and the like ????

:lmao:

Must be..... 'very special'..... thru out.

Reactions: roy219

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
I'm glad the 5.0 got some attention and received a boost in output for 2015 now that the 6.2L V8 is gone. The weight loss of the 2015 model will translate to a much larger gain than 25 hp and 7 lb-ft though. A 2015 SuperCrew should weigh less than 5000 lbs, but let's say it weighs exactly 5000 lbs for comparison. With the new 5.0 the weight-to-power should work out to less than 13 lbs/hp. If a 2014 or older F-150 was only, being conservative, 500 lbs heavier, it'd have to make over 420 hp to keep pace with the new truck.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It sounds like MT loves 2.7EB, but why doesn't Ford offer it on their two highest trims King Ranch and Platinum you have to choose 3.5EB or 5.0V8.......

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.