·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Drive: 2005 Dodge Magnum
Don't Pet the Wagon

By Erin Riches
Date posted: 03-01-2004

Once dismissed as stodgy vehicles only your hopelessly out-of-style parents would drive, station wagons have waged a comeback in recent years. Wagons like the Toyota Matrix and Volkswagen Jetta offer flexible transportation for younger buyers. The larger Chrysler PT Cruiser, Subaru Outback, VW Passat and Volvo V70 make stylish family vehicles. And sleek, crisp-handling luxury models like the Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz E-Class give even big spenders reason to consider a practical wagon. For all the merits of these nameplates, though, we suspect that Dodge's new Magnum could be the station wagon to shove the revival into the mainstream once and for all — and convince droves of buyers to give up their SUV habit.

What's the Magnum got going for it? For starters, it's an extremely attractive car. Its long, low stance and flat tail end call to mind the colossal wagons of decades past, but a rising beltline, tapering roofline, short overhangs and prominent wheel arches allow it to pull off a contemporary caricature of its ancestors while giving it an athletic look. Up front, its quad segment grille strongly resembles that of the Ram and Durango yet manages not to appear too trucklike. Standard 17-inch wheels (or 18s if you go for the top-of-the-line model) complete the Dodge station wagon's authoritative stance.

more...

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
what can i say about the Magnum? well, Chrysler's quality still isn't quite where it should be, (neither is MB's... hmm?) i think offering a wagon only is a bit of a goofy idea, and on top of it all, the Magnum is uglier than a mud fence! if this thing sells, it will shock me tremendously.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Mar 13 2004, 04:22 PM
what can i say about the Magnum? well, Chrysler's quality still isn't quite where it should be, (neither is MB's... hmm?) i think offering a wagon only is a bit of a goofy idea, and on top of it all, the Magnum is uglier than a mud fence! if this thing sells, it will shock me tremendously.
Have you sat in a 300C/Magnum??? They are supposed to be the first DC cars that will raise their reliability and quality. Word of advice: sit in one and you'll be impressed. I know I was!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
These new Magnums and 300Cs are about the first decent American-influenced sedans to hit the streets in a long time. Big V8 power driving the rear wheels, back to "cab-rearward" design, chopped profiles... The CTS treads here, and may be styled a bit more expressfully, but for the price of a CTS V6 you can have a 350 hp V8 in these Mopars. DC has done well. Styling is subjective, but if you don't like these...well, go into your garage and admire your Toyota.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I've never been a fan of Dodge, but I love the way the Magnum looks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Mar 13 2004, 10:22 PM
an idea that was popping around for dodge was to make it the "hatchback brand" everything dodge would have a hatchback, except the viper and the SUV's/Trucks wonder if they will still try and go this way?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I love the design of both the Magnum and the 300C.

If you want a Magnum Sedan, you buy the 300C. It's not that complicated.

regardless, the all new Charger is coming, and it's reputed to be a 4 door sedan. So there's your real Dodge answer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
MDS (multi displacment system) Wow that's spactacularly familiar, so much for Gm having inovation.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Mar 14 2004, 05:09 AM
MDS (multi displacment system) Wow that's spactacularly familiar, so much for Gm having inovation.
so its cool when Dodge does it, but when GM did it first... they suck?

anyway, cant wait to see the sedan and (crosses fingers) a coupe. They said the sedan wont share any sheetmetal with teh 300 in another article.
Its gunna be a nice change of landscape next to the normal boring crap from everyone.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Mar 14 2004, 01:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Mar 14 2004, 01:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nocturn_Bird@Mar 14 2004, 05:09 AM
so its cool when Dodge does it, but when GM did it first... they suck?

anyway, cant wait to see the sedan and (crosses fingers) a coupe. They said the sedan wont share any sheetmetal with teh 300 in another article.
Its gunna be a nice change of landscape next to the normal boring crap from everyone. [/b][/quote]
Well, I don't think they did it first...did they? The only DOD vehicle coming out so far that I know of the the G6's 245HP V6...but that's not until next year.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
think the Magnun/300 has love it/or hate it looks. i for one, think its looks dayum good. although, still hoping for a coupe version in the dodge lineup.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Rear-drive Hemi Wagon (on 18s) for about $30,000
makes for a really sweet family machine! I love 'em.

·
Registered
723 Posts
No matter how you or anyone looks at it, IT'S STILL A FREAKIN' STATION WAGON!!!!! Even if it had the Viper's V10, IT'S STILL A STATION WAGON!!!!! Even though it would be a fast station wagon.

·
Registered
633 Posts
How about these.....

Aztek
Caprice
Sunfire
Malibu
Monte Carlo
Lumina
LWB Envoy/Trailblazer
GMT800
GMT600
Grand Am (cladding queen)
Bonneville (more cladding, what are you trying to cover up?)
Buick’s aztek
MAXX

These are much worse than the 300C, look at the overall shape… its proportions are very nice. The grille is a little to dodge, but still livable.

Oh yea, get a clue wagons are cool again foo.

Volo wagons
WRX wagons
Audi Wagons

Hmm performance and utility… GM has the… er… ahm….. oh yea nothing!!! (maxx doesn’t count its just to UGLY) I’ll take a wagon that can walk vettes carry 5 people and the family dog.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@Apr 1 2004, 04:04 PM
How about these.....

Aztek
Caprice
Sunfire
Malibu
Monte Carlo
Lumina
LWB Envoy/Trailblazer
GMT800
GMT600
Grand Am (cladding queen)
Bonneville (more cladding, what are you trying to cover up?)
Buick’s aztek
MAXX

These are much worse than the 300C, look at the overall shape… its proportions are very nice. The grille is a little to dodge, but still livable.

Oh yea, get a clue wagons are cool again foo.

Volo wagons
WRX wagons
Audi Wagons

Hmm performance and utility… GM has the… er… ahm….. oh yea nothing!!! (maxx doesn’t count its just to UGLY) I’ll take a wagon that can walk vettes carry 5 people and the family dog.
Very good point. All the negative comments on this thread stem from the fact that GM has yet to produce something this good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts